Search the forum,

Discuss Supply Issues Building Materials ... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

After all the materials inflation fears a few months ago , the price of cable does seem to be holding fairly steady

£71.50 inc vat for 100m of 2.5 prysmian t&e from screwfix this week
Context: It's gone up 80% in around three years.

Context: It's gone up 80% in around three years.
Yes its blooming expensive compared to 3-4 years back , but at least it has levelled off in recent months which makes me more confident that prices hopefully won't shoot up when estimating jobs for December / January

If you watch the exchange rates between the Euro and GB the price is going up all the time, it's currently at just over 1.17 this has a significant effect on imported goods, about the worse time to be selling our house in France.

But does have an effect on goods/materials imported from the EU, also duties to be paid, and hence the raw materials to manufacture cable.

Just looked at the Euro's trading history. 20 years ago you'd have got €1.75 for your pound and in 2008 it was €1.02.

The average rate over the Euro's 20 year history to 2019 had been €1.33, with it's 10 year history in 2019 being €1.20. Prior to the Brexit referendum it traded at €1.30, so all told this particular exchange is on a fairly even keel.

For goods and materials I'd be inclined to look more closely at strength of currencies in countries where manufacturing takes place, rather than those within which we trade with distributors.

From 1990 to date DEB9C732-E796-4C55-B78E-D455DAEB76A0.png

What currency was that? Certainly wasn't the € in 1960 - maybe something just flew over my head ?
I believe its a Euroland 'calculated' average value of Eurozone countries exchange rates at the time. Supposed equivalent of a Euro before it existed. This is what happens when I ask a robot a stupid question ?0E07A5CE-C27B-43C6-AFEF-F83327227F87.png

Reply to Supply Issues Building Materials ... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock