Discuss Switched fused spur or I switched fused spur? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

a friend has asked me to install him 2 sockets behind his wall mounted TV as to hide the cables. Obviously he wants minimal damage so extending the ring isn’t an option as the nearest sockets are low level on an adjacent wall and are fed from above (he’s also made it clear we can’t come from above or take up any carpets or floorboards upstairs). Would the best solution be to get a new leg into a low level socket, chase it across behind the skirting board then up to behind his TV? I was thinking of putting the new sockets on an unswitched fused spur but then the point of isolation is just the sockets behind the TV which isn’t ideal, the other alternative though - a switched fused spur would also have to be behind the TV with the sockets for neatness he wants. My question is, does it make a difference considering they’re in the same place? And is this the best method to wire the new sockets given extending the ring is a much larger job?

thanks in advance

Sometimes the customer can't always have what they want or in this case not have what they don't want.

If they want minimal damage then the T.V will have to be closer to where installing sockets will cause minimal damage.
If they want the T.V in a particular location then they'll have to deal with the damage.

It's a daft as saying I want you to drive from London to Manchester, but you can't use any roads.

Switched FCU or unswitched FCU makes no difference in this situation, as you're not providing a means of isolation, you are fusing down the new leg of cable.
Does your friend need 2 double sockets or just 2 single sockets?

No you can’t run behind the skirting boards.

it Appears all the options for getting the feed to the appropriate location have been ruled out by the client.

so on this occasion I would say the job isn’t possible .

tell the client all the legit ways to get a feed and let them make there mind up which if any of the options they go for.
I was also thought that you could not run along behind skirting boards as this isn’t a permitted zone, I once worked with a much more experienced electrician who said that it’s absolutely fine!?

I was also thought that you could not run along behind skirting boards as this isn’t a permitted zone, I once worked with a much more experienced electrician who said that it’s absolutely fine!?
You are correct that it is not a permitted zone. However in a renovation project it is sometimes the only reasonable option. I route the cables at the very bottom of the stud so that technically they are at or just below floor level. In my view it would be very helpful if the 15 cm safe zones that we have at top of wall and at side walls should be replicated at floor level

normal method would be from above. carpets and floor up. if he won't have this, ask the client if he can source a couple of wireless sockets ?. or walk away.

It would be within zones if you chase horizontally from the existing low level socket to a point directly under the required position for the new socket, then chase vertically upwards.
If the existing socket is already a spur off of a RFC, then you will have to fit a fused spur beside the existing socket, feed it with the wire spurred from the RFC, then feed the existing socket, plus the new ones, from it.

I should also have added that if the cable is run outside the zone that protecting it in steel conduit keeps you within the regs(think that applies in UK as well?)

Reply to Switched fused spur or I switched fused spur? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net