Currently reading:
Trying to understand 3 phase

Discuss Trying to understand 3 phase in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am currently training in college and its my second year, we have just started on 3 phase topics.

I just wanted to ask what is 3 phase actually?
is it just a bigger consumer unit that can power more normal single phase circuits like 6 amp lighting etc and 32 amp rings?

and what are these 3 phase motors and all that talk

sorry if this sounds stupid but a friend recommended me these forums while he was training aswell.

Blimey!
I did my GCSEs in 2003 and my physics teacher taught us AC theory from Faraday's first demonstrations up to single phase including the calculation of root-mean-square values and a basic explanation of three phase.
I did my school exams (CSEs and O#Levels) (google them, they were different :) ) quite a while before 2003 mate :)

so is it bad to be inbalanced? by the way guys i really love learning this trade i find it so interesting for some reason, and i continuously thanks everyone on forums like this who help us new guys out,, Thank you to everyone

My last post for tonight... Yes, if you think of the generator like a wheel, it spins well when the weight is balanced. If you strap a huge lead weight to one side of your bike wheel, it won't spin equally. That is similar to loading one coil (phase) more than the others.

Do a bit of research on the internet as there should be some diagrams that help to explain it more clearly than I can in words.

If you're as interested as you say, you'll make a very good electrician. Good luck :)

My last post for tonight... Yes, if you think of the generator like a wheel, it spins well when the weight is balanced. If you strap a huge lead weight to one side of your bike wheel, it won't spin equally. That is similar to loading one coil (phase) more than the others.

Do a bit of research on the internet as there should be some diagrams that help to explain it more clearly than I can in words.

If you're as interested as you say, you'll make a very good electrician. Good luck :)

Thank you mate have a good night, i literally love electrics with no exaggeration especially when that moment comes and u fully understand a topic

Thank you mate have a good night, i literally love electrics with no exaggeration especially when that moment comes and u fully understand a topic
Don't get too wrapped up in it though. There's these things called "girls" (or "boys" (depending on which way the land lies and thats got nowt to do with me, nor will I judge you either way)) and "beer"
Both things can be fun. Never neglect the fun side of life. :)

Don't get too wrapped up in it though. There's these things called "girls" (or "boys" (depending on which way the land lies and thats got nowt to do with me, nor will I judge you either way)) and "beer"
Both things can be fun. Never neglect the fun side of life. :)

hahahahaha, believe me girls are not something unoticed ;) and can be real fun as you said

Blimey!
I did my GCSEs in 2003 and my physics teacher taught us AC theory from Faraday's first demonstrations up to single phase including the calculation of root-mean-square values and a basic explanation of three phase.
I did my "O" level in Physics,a good few years before,and we covered all those areas,including making up Cells,rectifiers and generating rigs. Some teachers encouraged deviating from what was probably the standard curriculum...including allowing me to bring in the jacobs ladder spark generator i made,from an industrial pressure washer burner ignition transformer...plugged straight in the desk socket outlet...risk assess THAT today! :bobby:

I did my school exams (CSEs and O#Levels) (google them, they were different :) ) quite a while before 2003 mate :)

Did you mean GCE's?? Because that's all that was around in my day. And Yes they were different, and they didn't keep having to change the goal posts every year to boost political pass rates!!

so is it bad to be inbalanced?

It can be in some situations.

I often work with generator supplies for festivals/outdoor events etc. In this situation the general rule is to never let a generator's load be more than 30% out of balance. I have seen sites where people have not followed this rule and damaged some rather expensive generators and spoiled the events somewhat.

However for a regular grid fed supply then a complete imbalance won't even be noticed at the level of the national grid.

Did you mean GCE's?? Because that's all that was around in my day. And Yes they were different, and they didn't keep having to change the goal posts every year to boost political pass rates!!
No, CSEs were the lower ones and GCE O Levels were the higher level ones. After that you had A levels if you were staying on for 6th form but I left and got my apprenticeship so went down the C&G route.

It can be in some situations.

I often work with generator supplies for festivals/outdoor events etc. In this situation the general rule is to never let a generator's load be more than 30% out of balance. I have seen sites where people have not followed this rule and damaged some rather expensive generators and spoiled the events somewhat.

However for a regular grid fed supply then a complete imbalance won't even be noticed at the level of the national grid.

hmm, what im trying to understand is how would it effect what ever it effects badly?

If it helps a single phase supply i,e, a supply to your house as an example, is 1 phase from a 3 phase supply that probably runs up your street, or at least close by, as guys have said ask for permission to join the trainees forum, there are lots of like minded blokes like yourself who are in training, who you could share your problems with, there are as well mentors, like myself who are only to willing to help if we can, we don;t know it all, I'm 68 and still learning things from this forum, and not to proud to admit it, so don't worry if you are unsure just ask, but take the advice and get on to the trainee forum, you won't get the mickey taken out of you.

Surely if the op is Training to be an Electrician then the best place for him is in the Trainee section where he can get the help he needs.jmo

Reply to Trying to understand 3 phase in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock