Currently reading:
TT sub mains and discrimination..

Discuss TT sub mains and discrimination.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a quick sanity check really around rcbo discrimination.. but also RCDs being used as L-E fault protection.

Scenario being a garage board change. Setup is: garage sub main fed from a main house CU. Initially wired in 10mm t&e with a 10mm earth along side it, run entirely in the ceiling of the house no walls etc., pops out on the external wall rear entry to a box, joints to a 10mm armoured that's running to the garage. Garage will have its own rod and small rcbo board

Given it's TT and realistically this is going to be reliant on the 30ma rcbo at the board to provide L-E protection am I right in thinking it has to be on a 30mA rcbo at the board (not that sourcing a 100mA rcbo would be particularly simple anyway, not to mention then running into discrimination issues with the 100mA unit before the main CU..), obviously having the 30mA RCBOs in the garage means no discrimination, but to me the discrimination issue is 'less bad' given the main CU is rcbos so you're not going to be taking out half the house with a garage fault, just potentially having to check both boards. Fault protection/safety taking priority over convenience here seems the sensible option to me..

Essentially yes, apologies if it's waffle, a real talent of mine :sweatsmile:. Either I leave it on the 40A/30mA rcbo at the CU without discrimination, or put a 40A MCB on and rely on the 100mA pre CU. In full swa that's exactly what I'd do, it's just the t&e that's throwing me off really.

With disclaimer I don't have the regs book here my memory is:
TT Fault protection - distribution circuit, 1 second max disconnection time. So should be met by S-type RCD (500ms max operating time I think)
Provided Ze and CPC total less than 500 ohms (which I'd hope is the case!) you will likely meet TT touch voltage formula 499 ohms X 0.1A < 50V

All fine so far.
RE the twin and earth, Impact Protection regs would need to be met for the bit in then ceiling.

Last edited:
Many thanks all. Very helpful to be able to bounce these things around. Was fairly happy with it all initially, but once the seed of doubt is there it has a habit of manifesting itself..

Agree that the 100mA will comply with the rcd fault protection requirements in 531.3.5 relating to RA and disconnection of 1s from 411.3.2.4

I've been able to get eyes on about 85% of the run in the ceiling and it's uniformly centre of the joists definitely >50mm from floor and ceiling, and running to the CU it's in trunking so fairly happy from that perspective re. 522.6.201.

Will likely have Napit assessment against this job so just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything caveating the above.

Thanks again

Reply to TT sub mains and discrimination.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back