Currently reading:
Unreasonably high invoice bill from an electrician

Discuss Unreasonably high invoice bill from an electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone, I am Alex and I'm new here.

I am posting this to ask for advice with how I should approach this situation.

We called in an electrician, and as confirmed in writing by messages, the original request was to change the socket covers and change lightbulbs through the flat (1 bedroom flat). After completing the job, the electrician sends us an invoice which lists the labour and material costs, and a rough breakdown of the works done. The final bill is OVER £2,000 (almost all of it labour) and lists 30 hours of work. On top of the requested works, it also details a lot of other works, which were not requested nor authorised by us, including various tests and other changes. To make the situation more difficult, we were away during this time as the flat was under renovation and could not confirm what works exactly have been at the time.

Given this extremely unreasonable bill, what is the best way to approach the situation?

Any help would be appreciated, and thank you for your advice.

"change all lamps and ensure they are working"

The issue could be this .If THIS was correct then its almost "permission" to carry out any works required ?
like I said, follow the spirit of the post, not the exact wording.

However we confirmed the exact scope of works needed in writing.
well lets see a copy, I am always cautious when I see these threads, there is usually 2 sides to everything, lets see the work agreed in writing and then we can give you a proper opinion.

well lets see a copy, I am always cautious when I see these threads, there is usually 2 sides to everything, lets see the work agreed in writing and then we can give you a proper opinion.
same for me ...I get asked about issues a lot and I always say "Sow me the paperwork" . A huge amount of issues are caused by the old "cash in hand " mentality that the customer is also happy to be part of .And very very little paperwork SMS trail . So how can I say "its not good" when in fact its roughly what they asked for and paid for but now have seconds thoughts about.....

You state your location as London. Labour rates are very high there and there's also often parking and other vehicle surcharges so I'd be expecting a hefty labour amount. If his brief was to replace bulbs and get the lights all working that may have involved some fault finding and some fittings converting to LED's etc. Also just to replace the socket facia covers would be as much if not more expensive than complete new sockets if the replacement covers had to be special ordered or are a manufacturer discontinued item. If he converted halogen downlights to LED for example he would have been well within acceptable practices to do a circuit test afterwards if he disturbed the fittings.

Yes on the face of it the bill seems high but there's many reasons it could be more than you were expecting. First step is to ask for a full materials and labour breakdown then discuss it with him from there. Getting resolution to this kind of dispute is all about both parties communicating like grown ups.

Couple of important points, do not refuse to pay his bill, in fact it will support your stance if you make a "Without prejudice" payment of say 20% of his invoice, ask for a detailed breakdown of the works carried out, compare to the original brief and dispute those you disagree with, any correspondence should be by verified e-mail or recorded letter.

Couple of important points, do not refuse to pay his bill, in fact it will support your stance if you make a "Without prejudice" payment of say 20% of his invoice, ask for a detailed breakdown of the works carried out, compare to the original brief and dispute those you disagree with, any correspondence should be by verified e-mail or recorded letter.
This will never get legal..... I WOULD refuse and rightly so. Work has to be agreed . I cannot say to a client its £500 more etc .I've given a quote and thats it .There are a few things that are always mentioned to secure myself of any "hidden issues" .But I would never want to renegade on a quote at all. Its not the done thing . I would agree to pay for what was agreed only .

Actually no, without telling us apparently 3 more people were involved and "helped" him, for which he is also charging a management fee. Although we never explicitly agreed he would work alone, I believed it is reasonable that this is a 1 person job.
Leaving aside the other points it is worth noting that lone working is specifically discouraged by the HSE, so it could be argued that it is never reasonable for something to be a one-man job.

Leaving aside the other points it is worth noting that lone working is specifically discouraged by the HSE, so it could be argued that it is never reasonable for something to be a one-man job.
I would suggest a lot depends on how the job / work process is risk assessed
One person to hold the socket and another to tighten the screws isn't really that cost effective

That guidance has to be taken in context, cleaning out the inside of a tank or down a manhole then yes, changing a light fitting or switch that can be accessed from the ground than no, to go even more HSE wording carry out a Hazard Analysis and risk assessment prior to any work commencing, the HA can be done in ones head to a conclusion that there is no risk, lots of people use the HSE guidance as an excuse to not do something, or make it seem harder than it actually is or would be. Most do not understand the the first step in any work process is the Hazard Analysis, not going straight into the Risk Assessment.

I worked for someone who would not tolerate lone working and it isn't just about an accident happening during the work being carried out. Anything can happen like heart attacks, strokes etc... and whilst your colleague may not be able to help medically they can call for assistance.

I worked for someone who would not tolerate lone working and it isn't just about an accident happening during the work being carried out. Anything can happen like heart attacks, strokes etc... and whilst your colleague may not be able to help medically they can call for assistance.
Did he always have a passenger when he drove anywhere, was he high risk for heart attacks or strokes!

However we confirmed the exact scope of works needed in writing.

let's see a copy, I am always cautious when I see these threads, there is usually 2 sides to everything, let's see the work agreed in writing, and then we can give you a proper opinion.

A redacted copy of the invoice may be helpful.

Last edited:
Is there actually a contract? Until we see the exchange of emails etc we will not be able to judge.
There are so many ways to look at this, but I can't believe any competent electrician would quote, say £500, and then, on finding other remedial works are necessary, plough ahead and up the bill to £2000 without even a phone call to the client. This alone makes me think the electrician is trying it on. After all, if there's no contract, how can he be sure the client will pay the extra?
Lack of communication is key here. I am assuming the electrician did not at any point pick up the phone and ask for approval to additional works.

Yes, he has to be paid...but how much?
Three possible answers, given there is no contract:
1. Quantum lucratus
2. Quantum meruit
3. Agent of necessity, which includes the above 2 points.

No. 3 is so outdated these days given the easy contact via mobile phone or email and only really arises in cases of emergency.

If the "contract" says "do this and that and whatever is necessary to get everything working properly" then the OP is on a sticky wicket...but to plough on to incur vastly more expense than both parties originally envisaged is foolhardy, since a quick call could have clarified things.

2 grand to change a couple face plates and swap out a couple lamps, even for my day rate that seems a tad high

I personally would never allow a very small job ( a single day job ) to spiral up to £2000 without ringing the customer first and then getting confirmation they want me to continue in the form of a short email.

Makes you wonder how postman, bus drivers and most couriers cope.

Reply to Unreasonably high invoice bill from an electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back