Search the forum,

Discuss Unwanted double socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cables were jointed at the socket in the first place, so replacing the socket joint with a well made MF joint is no detriment. tin hat ready.

Yes, the description Connexbox have used could be considered misleading. Having just read the Wago instructions, in order to meet BS 5733-MF the WAGOBOX must be installed in a particular way, so it is not automatically compliant and it does not appear to have the “MF” symbol required by BS7691 526.3 (vi).

I am always keen to find new maintenance free accessories, especially as the Ashley connector blocks cost almost a fiver each. I will keep the Wagobox in mind.

The 'safe way' would be to disconnect the cables, pull them out and connect the socket(s) connected to the one you're removing and reconnect them with an unbroken length of cable.
Thanks for asking me to come and remove that socket Mrs Smith, that will be £248. Please don't hesitate to call me in future when you want a simple job turning into an all day event.......

I *think* the chap was making a tongue in cheek joke, as in "Sort it out properly? In this economy? Nooo! Surely the way is to just bodge it, that's what EVERYONE does these days... Sort it out properly indeed, anyone would think this was an electricians forum for proper advice from qualified people..." - I don't think he meant anything by it and certainly not anything aimed at you... I suspect that face to face the tongue in cheek sarcasm might have been more obvious. That's what I'm guessing was meant, anyway. I could be wrong! :eek:)

I agree, I noticed the sarcasm very easily, in fact it was blatantly obvious lol

I *think* the chap was making a tongue in cheek joke, as in "Sort it out properly? In this economy? Nooo! Surely the way is to just bodge it, that's what EVERYONE does these days... Sort it out properly indeed, anyone would think this was an electricians forum for proper advice from qualified people..." - I don't think he meant anything by it and certainly not anything aimed at you... I suspect that face to face the tongue in cheek sarcasm might have been more obvious. That's what I'm guessing was meant, anyway. I could be wrong! :eek:)
Hi don't want to de rail the thread like the way you got straight into the forum , welcome enjoy, and contribute even if your experience is limited great to see.

Yes, the description Connexbox have used could be considered misleading. Having just read the Wago instructions, in order to meet BS 5733-MF the WAGOBOX must be installed in a particular way, so it is not automatically compliant and it does not appear to have the “MF” symbol required by BS7691 526.3 (vi).

I am always keen to find new maintenance free accessories, especially as the Ashley connector blocks cost almost a fiver each. I will keep the Wagobox in mind.

Just noticed, it is BS7671 526.3 (vi) not as miss-typed in post 43.

Don't like to keep batting these things about, but;

Instructions for maintenance free use; https://www.connexbox.com/assets/index/download/id/42/

'MF' symbol on inside lid.

Excellent news, I have finally found a photo of the Wagobox which is indeed now Maintenance Free. It appears there is an older version which was not marked as maintenance free (causing my confusion and still shown in the photos on the screwfix, connexbox and many other websites), and there has been a slight modification to the design to allow the lid to be cable tied shut in the “MF” marked version.
In fact, looking at the screwfix website, there are 5 photos, three of these are of the old style box and two are of the newer style box.

New Version
https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...=0ahUKEwiu6f2IwvLLAhVIXBoKHbgBBzgQMwhRKCgwKA”

Old Version
“http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/wagobox-junction-box/7355f”

If Connexbox are selling the newer version I will get some of them as they seem versatile and considerably cheaper than Ashley MF connectors.

Can't comment on the introduction of the 'MF' labelling on the Wagobox, never looked for it, just relied on the manufacturers claim on 'MF' functionality. I've used them for about 3 years now, and they have always had the cable tied facility, indeed without 'tool' closure, they would never have been 'MF'. Can't seem to get your Older version pics to load.

Can't comment on the introduction of the 'MF' labelling on the Wagobox, never looked for it, just relied on the manufacturers claim on 'MF' functionality. I've used them for about 3 years now, and they have always had the cable tied facility, indeed without 'tool' closure, they would never have been 'MF'. Can't seem to get your Older version pics to load.

The web site link to connexbox in post #27 also shows the boxes before the cable tie facility was added. Anyway, thank you for the information. I have learnt something very useful. It can be worth perusing these things.

cables were jointed at the socket in the first place, so replacing the socket joint with a well made MF joint is no detriment. tin hat ready.

Sod all that palaver.. Just disconnect the socket, drag the cables down under the floor, Reconnect socket, wrap the whole ensemble in two layers of Gaffer Tape & nail the floorboards back down!! .... Simples!! :happy:

£248 for a day's work??!!

No wonder you lads are always skint!! :joker:
Oh jees I just pulled a figure out of the air. Just fill in the --- and let us know then:

"Thanks for asking me to come round and remove that socket Mrs Smith, that will be £--- please for a days work, bearing in mind I might have had another job lined up but I can't do it now as I have spent all day fannying about removing all these cables and making it look like this socket never even existed..........

Yep, realise that now. I did initially try to just write "eh?" as my response but I needed to put in a minimum of six characters to respond, which then ended up as it did! SBO can be a bit short with his comments I find, but he has explained the comment and all is cool. We need all kinds of characters in life otherwise it would be very bland indeed!

I wasn't trying to be super arsey with my comment initially, as I say, I wanted to put in a simple "eh" !!

Reply to Unwanted double socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock