Discuss What do I need to become a qualified sparky? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As far as i know, HND is not part of any University curriculum i'm aware of, as it's known as a ''Part Time'' study course. (Are you sure it's a HND course you're taking, normally it would be an HNC followed by a HND add -on). HNC/HND courses are normally catered for, by local Technical Colleges. Oh, and only Experienced Fully Qualified Electricians are in demand, quick fix wanna-be's aren't!! lol!!

Have to ask, why are you going down the Mechanical Engineering course, if you're interested in becoming an electrician??

Im not a quick fix wanna be LOL! I want to undertake becoming an electrician on the side to complement my studies if that makes sense. The reason why I am doing a HNC/HND in Mechanical Engineering is because it is also something of interest and by doing the Electrician courses and work on the side I will be:
A) Alot more employable because I would have a broad understanding of a variety of engineering disciplines (Mechanical and Electrical) which both go hand in hand anyway, and
B) More financially independant, which we all need in this day and age!

I'm sorry if I came across as a kid who's looking to make a quick earner here and there, this is a genuine interest of mine and I don't mind putting in the hard work to become an electrician. I know it's not going to happen over night which is why I'm trying to find out as much as I can so I can make an informed decision on whether I will commit to it or not.

I have done some more research and have found some local work advertised looking for an electricians mate but they all require relevant experience and/or NVQ 17th Edition, Installations Part P and the Inspections Certificate which will set me back about £1500 to take the courses and gain the quals, plus I need a CSCS card and/or a JIB card.

So as you can see I'm not a 'quick fix wanna be' I'm actually quite interested in becoming an electrician so please cut me some slack! =D

Thanks again, Fizzy

start with the ecs card. it's only H&S. and £42. you won't get anywhere without it, even as a mate.

Mate stay on what you are doing. I done both the mechanical hnc etc for 6 years and while training on that i trained as a spark. Grass is.not greener, engineers are much more sought after and thought off. People look at me.in disbelief when i write a.quote and put my engineering status after it. I would see it through. But as mentioned in previous posts what about your btec/ onc etc? If so you must have gone through it quickly!

Just read another post bit further up, they do not go hand in hand im afraid, yes electronics relays etc but even then when i trained (2006-2012) companies want mechanical or electrical, if they are looking for both you'll find they will want someone skilled higher in one area but can over come other faults if necessary. And to be honest doing the electricians course wont help you in engineering. I may be corrected by others but where i worked with control panels etc it was totally different

it's admirable that you want to immerse yourself in knowledge, fizzy. just be aware that becoming a competent electrician takes more than a fast-track course and a bit of part time work as a mate. it's not really something that can be done "on the side" - i'm sure gazza can attest to that. you'd need to spend 1 day a week (for three years) studying electrical theory at college and you'd need to be working full time, with a professional spark, for several years before you could safely go it alone.

the qualifications that you'll need are:

2382 17th edition
2330 level 2 - or equivalent
2330 level 3 - or equivalent
NVQ level 3 - or equivalent

I totally agree shagbite both are careers and need total commitment. I done a full 3 years and am 2 nvq etc but doing all this along side nvq 4 un mechanical and hnd i feel i should have put all that effort into one trade. My mate is an engineer at the place I trained and is on £45k a year. I feel a mug for leaving it!

Thanks alot chaps I have definitely taken all of your advice into account, judging from the responses on this thread alot of the people are full time sparkies and you will obviously know better than me which is why I came for advice in the first place.
I've been in touch with a few electricians I know and they've offered to take me on a few projects so I'll definitely check it out and get a bit of experience, thanks again guys!

Reply to What do I need to become a qualified sparky? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net