Currently reading:
What do they not teach you at college?

Discuss What do they not teach you at college? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mr Curnow

I have completed my C&G levels 2&3 as well a HNC in Electrical Engineering, but apparently as someone new out of college I'm still not ready as an electrician as college doesn't teach you everything you need to know, my friend said in the real world it's nothing like at college, I gave up and went onto web development for the last few years as I knew that I wouldn't get a start, I didn't want to lie about experience, so it wasn't possible to get a start.

To me it seems that you could probably start but you'd need to learn some extra things which you can learn on the internet and practice at home, like LV lighting etc, I never did my 2391 when I was at college so I can't sign off electrics, would I need to learn that? It also seems like many electricians like to exaggerate how inexperienced you are, but when it comes to the job, you can actually do it, my mum had an electrician around her house the other day, he didn't fix the problem and wasted time purposely, but I fixed it within minutes. It seems that they are manipulative and looking to pay young naive people as little as they can hence why they emphasize their inexperience. And also most of the time you don't get that much better with experience, it's the theory that's hard, the practical work just takes a little time to get used to, anti intellectualism I bet.

They'll never admit to that though. More often than not it's "I don't care how long it takes, just do a good job" which roughly translates as "do the best job you can as quickly as you can".
Also the way to keep your job is to do what the boss tells you to do without questioning it, no matter how much of a stupid idea you think it is; just prepare yourself to be stripping it out and doing it again. Mistakes are fine as long as they're the boss's mistakes.

Thanks, very legitimate and sound words.
Properly trained graduate can do any job fast and according to IEC 60364.
BS 7671
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/07/fc/5d/07fc5dca38e8801470d7d63d7037ef8e.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, very legitimate and sound words.
Properly trained graduate can do any job fast and according to IEC 60364.
BS 7671
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/07/fc/5d/07fc5dca38e8801470d7d63d7037ef8e.jpg
Doing a job quickly comes with experience, which can't be taught.
"Overqualified" usually translates as "know it all". I've worked with a few of them. It's very difficult to work with someone who has no experience of the job they're supposed to be doing but tries to tell everyone else how to do their jobs because they worked in management until they decided to "take a step down and do an easier, less stressful job", which they think is beneath them.

Nowadays you can do a management or business degree straight out of school, hence the situation where you have managers trying to run a business they know nothing about.
The way to get a job done quicker is to employ more labour and/or labour saving equipment and/or materials, not to pay several people's wages to some whipcracker to jump up and down and tell everyone they're not working hard enough to meet their KPIs and SLAs.

I have completed my C&G levels 2&3 as well a HNC in Electrical Engineering, but apparently as someone new out of college I'm still not ready as an electrician as college doesn't teach you everything you need to know, my friend said in the real world it's nothing like at college, I gave up and went onto web development for the last few years as I knew that I wouldn't get a start, I didn't want to lie about experience, so it wasn't possible to get a start.

To me it seems that you could probably start but you'd need to learn some extra things which you can learn on the internet and practice at home, like LV lighting etc, I never did my 2391 when I was at college so I can't sign off electrics, would I need to learn that? It also seems like many electricians like to exaggerate how inexperienced you are, but when it comes to the job, you can actually do it, my mum had an electrician around her house the other day, he didn't fix the problem and wasted time purposely, but I fixed it within minutes. It seems that they are manipulative and looking to pay young naive people as little as they can hence why they emphasize their inexperience. And also most of the time you don't get that much better with experience, it's the theory that's hard, the practical work just takes a little time to get used to, anti intellectualism I bet.

I did the same as you, and for the same reason, although i do have experience, i was working with a electrician and completing domestic installations from drawings practically on my own, which almost always passed testing without any problems. I became unemployed mid way through my lvl3 2330 and wasn't able to do the nvq, While looking for work, I was was offed a job driving contractors on and off of the Olympics site for £100 a day ( that was it, drive them in at 9am, then drive them off at 4:30 ) then something else came up.... and so hear i am years later trying to find work as a mate again.

I know a lot has changed, if i was a painter id be happy to bend the truth but if im being honest then i cant really say im experienced, because my experience is out of date, ( i guess i could keep the regs with me at all times :) ) im not comfortably exaggerating because i know people are trying to pay mates to do an electricians job
ie mate required, must have 17th edition, wouldn't being 17th edition suggest your not a mate ?

I am applying for jobs but feel i cant compeate :( im hoping i have more luck keeping my eyes open here.
Guess if you try....

good luck.

Reply to What do they not teach you at college? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Courses

This is the main Electrical Courses at ElectriciansForums.net. Find local recommended electricians courses. Avoid training "company" scams. Always go view the training centre before booking any electrical courses.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock