Discuss What would you code these in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Recently visited a new build to do a very minor job and spotted a few dodgy looking items so Client asked me to do an EICR.

Following items I found were;
Upstairs and downstairs smoke detectors mains fed but not interlinked, on separate circuits.

downlights open backed and clearly not fire rated, covered in insulation despite label stating they shouldn't be.

no lighting back boxes earthed. (so full of cables, any of which coming into contact with box would liven it up "floating" including the 2 fixing screws

Structural steel not bonded.

Single insulated cables hanging loose on approx. 2 meter run, at chest height

Main tails from meter into enclosure stuck in 50amp connectors with SWA feeding ccu 10 meters away with no switchfuse

I reported these among a few others and gave them all c2's.

This was not a pleasant experience as going behind someone and picking holes in their work is never a nice thing to do however I felt it was bad enough that it ought to be sorted out.

The original installer reacted to my report saying that I was essentially making a mountain out of a molehill and that the install was fine and had been signed off by NICEIC who had inspected it themselves as part of his yearly check up, even stating that the steel need not be bonded, as it was 'earthed' because it was stuck in the ground. So clearly not really getting the need for bonding.

This is a development of over 20 houses built in 2020.

The client has had my advice, and i have now left it with them and the original installer to sort out.

I was wondering, does anyone disagree with my above assessment of these 'c2' items

Wiring of the smoke detectors even though incorrect is not unsafe.
The site was not signed off by the NICEIC and they probably viewed another property.

Were the smoke detectors interlinked via radio? Seen it done like that where there was no easy route between two halves of a property.

Downlights only need to be fire rated when a separate property above. Do have to be IP rated though for bathrooms.
What came first? the downlights or the insulation?

Back boxes.... Where did the cpc's go? just into a connector? Could easily have run a lead to the box. If metal switches, might have got the earth there.

Structural steel. Can it be touched? I dont think it needs bonded unless its exposed, but im sure ill be corrected there if im wrong. (ive got an RSJ over my head right now, built into my ceiling, and i dont remember it getting bonded when the extension was built)

Single insulated cables? is this the main tails? 2m seems a long way without even a bit of trunking to protect it

where did they find 50A connector that could take 25mm tails? (i'm assuming 25mm) They fill a 100A henly termination hole perfectly.

Were the smoke detectors interlinked via radio? Seen it done like that where there was no easy route between two halves of a property.
No, not interlinked at all

Downlights only need to be fire rated when a separate property above. Do have to be IP rated though for bathrooms.

That is incorrect

Back boxes.... Where did the cpc's go? just into a connector? Could easily have run a lead to the box. If metal switches, might have got the earth there.

yes, into connectors

Structural steel. Can it be touched? I dont think it needs bonded unless its exposed, but im sure ill be corrected there if im wrong. (ive got an RSJ over my head right now, built into my ceiling, and i dont remember it getting bonded when the extension was built)

Exposed

Single insulated cables? is this the main tails? 2m seems a long way without even a bit of trunking to protect it

No, final circuit feeding an inverter. off shared RCD too.

where did they find 50A connector that could take 25mm tails? (i'm assuming 25mm) They fill a 100A henly termination hole perfectly.
Cores cut out

messed up the above reply.
1. not interlinked at all.
2. insualtion , and they need to be fire rated
3.yep, just into a connector
4. yes, exposed
5. this was a final circuit to an inverter which was also on a shared RCD
6. cores cut out

Following items I found were;
Upstairs and downstairs smoke detectors mains fed but not interlinked, on separate circuits. Smoke alarms are not part of an EICR, other than the mains wiring that feeds them. So no code but maybe a note in the observations.

downlights open backed and clearly not fire rated, covered in insulation despite label stating they shouldn't be. As already mentioned, there is no need for downlights to be fire rated in most domestic situations, as the whole house is viewed as one fire compartment. However, they should not be covered with insulation, so a C2 for this aspect.

no lighting back boxes earthed. (so full of cables, any of which coming into contact with box would liven it up "floating" including the 2 fixing screws C2.

Structural steel not bonded. C2 if exposed and extraneous.

Single insulated cables hanging loose on approx. 2 meter run, at chest height C2.

Main tails from meter into enclosure stuck in 50amp connectors with SWA feeding ccu 10 meters away with no switchfuse C2 for inadequate connection. C3 for relying on suppliers cutout fuse over 3 metres.
These would be my observations. Others may agree or disagree. Such is the nature of EICRs.

Reply to What would you code these in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net