Discuss where to get 1mm black rubber flex? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I always seem to come across the same problem when installing outside lights, where to get 1mm black rubber flex?

Preferably I'd like some 3183p (1mm) but can only find 0.75mm or 1.5mm.
Happy to use 3183TRS or 3183VR but also struggling to find that in 1mm.

Farnells are usually good but they are out of stock.

What are other peoples preferences for using cable outdoors for lighting? Would you be happy with black PVC flex?

Also if using 0.75mm flex on a 6A MCB would you fuse down? 0.75mm flex has a CCC of 6A so in theory its fine but just seems a bit close?

B&Q are my best supplier for black rubber flex, the wholesalers are fairly poor on it.

Minimum size for fixed wiring for lighting is 1mm² (524).
0.75mm² OK for direct connection to fitting from fixed wiring.

black pvc installed outside will last you and me out. and it's cheaper than rubber/silicone flex.

You might find the 3183 designation cable being sold as HO7RNF or HO5RNF which from memory is the harmonised code. It should be available in 1mm 3 core without any problems.

You might find the 3183 designation cable being sold as HO7RNF or HO5RNF which from memory is the harmonised code. It should be available in 1mm 3 core without any problems.

I'll buy you a pint Marvo if you can find 1mm H05RN-F! :smiley2:

B&Q are my best supplier for black rubber flex, the wholesalers are fairly poor on it.

Minimum size for fixed wiring for lighting is 1mm² (524).
0.75mm² OK for direct connection to fitting from fixed wiring.

Thanks Richard, I don't really consider B&Q because of their prices. Have just gone on their site and have immediately found 1mm black rubber flex! How do you feel about using black pvc cable outside as Tel says? I do see it used alot outside.

I had problems finding some 1.0mm H05 for a run to an outside light a while back. Went into Edmundsons and they told me that they only stock H07, but would give me a good price on a 50M reel. A bit bulkier than I really wanted, but I was very pleased to have even found any.

If you want to pop over to North Norfolk, I'll cut you off a few metres mate. ;)

I'll buy you a pint Marvo if you can find 1mm H05RN-F! :smiley2:
There are a few places online advertising it and it's available locally to me but for some reason it's not a very popular size.

Surely though, if you're using this as installation cable you'd have to reduce the size of the OCPD accordingly?

Thanks Richard, I don't really consider B&Q because of their prices. Have just gone on their site and have immediately found 1mm black rubber flex! How do you feel about using black pvc cable outside as Tel says? I do see it used alot outside.

Black PVC flex is fine for outside use.

I am afraid I am a bit casual about outside cables, and tend to feel most cables will last a reasonable time outdoors. The customer is likely to change thier mind within a few years anyway!
But I do also tend to go for black cable wherever possible, whether PVC or rubber.

There are a few places online advertising it and it's available locally to me but for some reason it's not a very popular size.

Surely though, if you're using this as installation cable you'd have to reduce the size of the OCPD accordingly?

£2.50 for the cable

£1,750 return flight to Cape Town

Priceless

Lol, I wasn't suggesting he comes here to purchase it, (I'd mail him a roll for £1,500)

I find these guys useful for short lengths of non stock items - make sure you include the carriage costs!

The Electric Cable Co. (GB) Ltd

Thanks Murdoch,

Now thats what I call a decent selection of cables!

Not sure I understand? MCB will be 6A? This will be for outside lighting, taken either from the lighting circuit (or fused down if taken from sockets).

Reply to where to get 1mm black rubber flex? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net