Discuss which way should cable numbers be fitted? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've always stuck with reading from the ferrule end from the days of building machines for Ford as it was in their spec's. I remember one contractor having to spend days redoing a panel full of terminals!

Yep I did a ford apprenticeship and that's how it was taught,when I arrived at the papermill I was told it should be done the other way,although neither of us could argue who was right!!!!

i was looking at a load of Zener barriers in a panel offshore and they were numbered

51/2348/rig 2 (terminal block) rig2/2348/51

which I thought was very odd and confusing????

100 % read from the terminal end,thus from your stripped cable end,the number should read back up the cable.So for say 456,you would slide the 6 on first,then the 5,then the 4,then put the cable in the terminal,this way any future engineer will be able to understand your numbering.This doesnt apply to German or Italian machines as they never bother numbering cables in any case! LOLS!

100 % read from the terminal end,thus from your stripped cable end,the number should read back up the cable.So for say 456,you would slide the 6 on first,then the 5,then the 4,then put the cable in the terminal,this way any future engineer will be able to understand your numbering.This doesnt apply to German or Italian machines as they never bother numbering cables in any case! LOLS!

stop buying cheap numbers then. ours have a line on to show difference between 6 and 9 etc.

and colour coded, how much clearer can you be?

Always read away from the terminal/gland. Although where I currently work, if your looking at the left hand side of the terminal, the ident reads away from the terminal but it is upside down!

well, australians do it all the time, so it can't be hard.

Many of our panels would interconnect to other panels.

K5/F3/103 would equate to
K5 = kiln 5
F3 = a starter draw in row 6, 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] from the top
103 the wire number for that particular starter

The product handling plant had inputs from all over the place. About the only way to isolate everything to that panel would be open the 11KV breakers. (You wouldn’t be popular!).
Every starter had the same wiring layout no matter where it was.

Having to read upside down was thrown out early on

muli-sequence-1_zps3ba199c9.jpg

Reply to which way should cable numbers be fitted? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net