Search the forum,

Discuss Zs on tt in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

hi all am i right in saying on tt systems the Zs reading will be a lot higher than the max? and is this exeptable?

It will depend on what system you have in place to enable disconnection times to be met (think RCD's).

ZE can be higher up to 200 ohms but you want it as low as possible, ZS will hopefully come down with parralell paths bonding etc.

TT up to 200 OHMS
TNS up to 0.8
TNCS up to 0.35 OHMS

Zs or Ze on a TT system the Ze should be less than 200ohms , the maximum Zs for correct operation is 1667 for 30ma RCD's and details found on table 41.5 page 50 of the regs , if you read reg 411.5 of the big red book

Last edited by a moderator:
whats the ZE has to be 200ohms at least I did one today turned out there is no rod at the end of the main earth conductors pikeys probably had it away,
Pict

Last edited:
The Zs on a TT will be higher than on a TN system but it can not exceed the max permitted.

Max permissible Zs on a 230V circuit with a 30mA RCD as additional protection is 1667 ohms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

As Zs=Ze+R1+R2 then yes Zs on a TT system will generally be much higher than a TNCS system.
The maximum values are given for TNCS systems and therefore are not applicable to TT systems. The maximum value given in BS7671 is, I believe, 1667 ohms.

As the other guys have said you must have RCD protection for a TT system.
3.45 ohms Zs is very good for a TT system, what's the Ze?
Yes 1667 ohms is the max value for your certificate IMO.

As Zs=Ze+R1+R2 then yes Zs on a TT system will generally be much higher than a TNCS system.
The maximum values are given for TNCS systems and therefore are not applicable to TT systems. The maximum value given in BS7671 is, I believe, 1667 ohms.

The tabulated values in table 41.3 are for TN systems (TN-S AND TN-C-S)

If people are having trouble understanding this magic '1667 ohms' number.. it is obtained from:

50V / 30mA = 50 / 0.03 = 1666.6666666666666666666666667, rounded up to 1667 ohms.

was about to say as widdler max. touch voltage 50 so 50/0.03mA = 1666 recuring rounded to 1667, but OSG says anything over 200 ohms should be considered unreliable due to soil drying out ect.
TT probs with B.Gas 'engineers' having plug in Go/noGo testers for supply to boilers having fail setting of a couple of ohms, trouble is they are always taught on TNS systems and don't understand TT.

was about to say as widdler max. touch voltage 50 so 50/0.03mA = 1666 recuring rounded to 1667, but OSG says anything over 200 ohms should be considered unreliable due to soil drying out ect.
TT probs with B.Gas 'engineers' having plug in Go/noGo testers for supply to boilers having fail setting of a couple of ohms, trouble is they are always taught on TNS systems and don't understand TT.

No, the On-Site Guide is referring to the RA value (the Ze if you like) NOT Zs values!

Reply to Zs on tt in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock