Search the forum,

Discuss bathroom light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Does it have 30mA RCD protection? this may have a bearing on the code

There was a discussion on here yesterday regarding lack of 30mA RCD protection on an old installation. The general view was code 3 for that with the explanation that it was ok on the day it was installed. I think that is a code 2 irrellevant on whether it was ok on the day it was installed.

I think at the end of the day you have to judge it as you see fit because everyone will have different views. Every install is different as well as everyones opinion. I think it is still very interesting to see everybodies opinion so keep up the good work

There was a discussion on here yesterday regarding lack of 30mA RCD protection on an old installation. The general view was code 3 for that with the explanation that it was ok on the day it was installed. I think that is a code 2 irrellevant on whether it was ok on the day it was installed.

I think at the end of the day you have to judge it as you see fit because everyone will have different views. Every install is different as well as everyones opinion. I think it is still very interesting to see everybodies opinion so keep up the good work

Its dependant on other factors, not just the regs that were current at the time of install.

a socket outlet without Rcd protection is a c3, if its not intended to power outside equipment, but a c2 if it is itended, also if its in a bathroom.
buried cables are only c3 if no Rcd.
and circuits supplying equipment in the bathroom is c2 if no supplementary bonding and no Rcd, but if adequate bonding then only c3.
The ESC best practice guide informs on a lot of these things, although not everything, but the key is to test against current standards, and any codes must be able to be backed up by actual regs, not just good practice

Why is no supplementary bonding a Code 2 if there is no 30mA RCD protection?. From memory
supplementary bonding between circuits came into effect mid way of 16th Edition, before that was not needed as I recall

Why is no supplementary bonding a Code 2 if there is no 30mA RCD protection?. From memory
supplementary bonding between circuits came into effect mid way of 16th Edition, before that was not needed as I recall
To 17th, supp. bonding is required unless all circuits meet the required disconnection times, and an RCD is installed, and all extraneous-conductive parts in the location are connected by main protective bonding conductors to the MET, so you would argue it is "potentially dangerous" (C2).

To OP, I think C2 as it is "potentially dangerous".

I was always taught:
-Code 1 if there is a danger and a fault
-Code 2 if there isn't a fault but it'd be dangerous under fault conditions
-Code 3 if there is no danger or fault but isn't compliant to latest regs

To 17th, supp. bonding is required unless all circuits meet the required disconnection times, and an RCD is installed, and all extraneous-conductive parts in the location are connected by main protective bonding conductors to the MET, so you would argue it is "potentially dangerous" (C2).

To OP, I think C2 as it is "potentially dangerous".

I was always taught:
-Code 1 if there is a danger and a fault
-Code 2 if there isn't a fault but it'd be dangerous under fault conditions
-Code 3 if there is no danger or fault but isn't compliant to latest regs

Does that mean that all those installations done before 16th are dangerous because they had no 30mA RCD or supplementary earthing?

Something that was installed under a previous reg & was ok at that time can not becombe potentially dangerous over night. This would be a C3 IMO no more, no less.

Regarding why would the reg change they do that all the time. once upon a time you had to earth bond a stainless steel kitchen sink & all sinks came with little tag to fix your earth cable to, then over night they stopped fitting the little tag & earthing was no longer required so what was that all about.

unfortunately the ESC BPG says its C2 and id give it a C2, cause if you only say C3 and someone gets zapped, it wont be the IET who get BUTT F***ed when bending over in the shower lol

Reply to bathroom light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net