Currently reading:
ADVICE PLEASE - SURFACE CONDUIT SYSTEM FOR REWIRE 3 BED SEMI FRC

Discuss ADVICE PLEASE - SURFACE CONDUIT SYSTEM FOR REWIRE 3 BED SEMI FRC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

marconi

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I am heading off next week to visit my parents (84 and 83). They live in a nicely decorated and carpeted 3 bed semi with original wiring from 1965.

I noticed last time I visited they have the dreaded green goo in the 7/029 wiring. The 1/044 lighting does not have it. They only have one or two single un-switched sockets in each room apart from kitchen and side extension which are all new and on separate circuits to the original sockets.

The advice I am seeking is on a good, neat, easy to install surface conduit system to contain wiring for new radials/rings upstairs and downstairs in the 3 bedrooms, hall, landing, lounge and dining room. I can then present it to my father and explain the benefits and ease of installation. Neither would cope with floorboards being lifted and walls chased. He is a chemist and read what it says about green goo so I don't need to convince him it's time to re-wire and at the same time to add more handy sockets higher up.

Last edited:
Dodgy cable I reckon....look at the neutrals, they appear unaffected.
I’ve seen a similar effect on LSF t&e wired in some 2D fluorescent dish style light fittings. The heat had turned the red cable insulation pink/white and was brittle, the black cables were unaffected yet were exposed to the same elements.

those pics are a conundrum. it's not green goo. the exposed copper is oxidised.there must be some other explanation. green goo syndrome has never been seen since the advent of solid core metric T/E.

those pics are a conundrum. it's not green goo. the exposed copper is oxidised.there must be some other explanation. green goo syndrome has never been seen since the advent of solid core metric T/E.

I have to disagree there, all the green goo i've come across has been in solid T&E, I think I've only ever found it in twisted once or twice. The green copper is from the goo forming from the inside out, not oxidisation, the splits opened up as I pulled the plate away, as I said the smell was a dead give away. And as seen in the other picture where the goo was very visible, these were all from the same installation, wired at the same time, when the PVC plasticiser was at fault so quite likely for most of the cables to be effected as shown.

On one switch, as I pulled the plate away from the wall, the core insulation just fell off in big pieces it was so brittle.

Last edited:

Reply to ADVICE PLEASE - SURFACE CONDUIT SYSTEM FOR REWIRE 3 BED SEMI FRC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock