Currently reading:
advice please

Discuss advice please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

How long did they take inspecting and testing your house. If it's a load of houses on the same street I'm willing to bet half the report is copied from house to house.

The whole estate as it is called has communial heating and hot water, this comes from a boiler house which is around the corner, it is just pipes that go through the property's, there is no emmersion heaters. The lady next door to me who has brought her house can not have separate heating or water supply because re pipes that go through her house feeds mine and so on.

District heating then. Your guess is as good as any of ours what "neon boiler" means. As gutterball suggested you may have cabling under the floor. And as for your sockets being earthed, you maybe able to physically see the earths in the back of the sockets but doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a fault/disconnection, etc.

I have to go for a while now, but I appreciate all those that have answered me and I will pop back later to see if there are any more.as I need to try to get answers before I tackle the company Monday.

I have to go for a while now, but I appreciate all those that have answered me and I will pop back later to see if there are any more.as I need to try to get answers before I tackle the company Monday.

I don't understand why you want to tackle the company? The council own the property, the council/council appointed contractor carried out the inspection and the council want to rewire the property and others bringing them up to current standards.

Last edited:
The cannot check underfloor wiring means that the wiring that is under the floor cannot be checked as it would involve lifting the floors, which is not the intention of the inspection.

The neon boiler high reading on live-live has no meaning so i would discount this from consideration.
If it is a true observation then it should have a reference to another part of the document to provide specific values for this observation, if there is no reference then that observation is invalid as it must have a justification for the code.

The council is the customer not you , suggest the council follows this up if they want to , the report you have may be intended for the council , suggest you contact them and if necessary forward the report to them ...

Totally agree the council is the customer, originally council electricians done the inspection reports, these electricians got the reports wrong and refuse to hand over their reports to the contractors now, as their was illegal things suggested like putting a plug socket in actually In my work tops. So now I am wondering if this independent company are telling porkies as in saying I have under floor wiring that would actually be located with water pipe work that feeds my heating under my floor boards up stairs, and the neon boiler when I have no boiler or emmersion, I shall leave it there now, thank you for all your answers, I now have a electrican here who has just checked my sockets and they are as I thought earthed as should be, see what he says about the rest of the inspection report, thanks once again

Just to add my penny worth; I think 'Neon Boiler' is perhaps a reference to a fused spur used with a neon indicator that is supplying a water heater perhaps, do you have something like that? One of the tests carried out on wiring, is an insulation resistance test, part of which is live to neutral (sometimes referred to as 'live-live). A fused spur with a neon indicator, could affect the result of this test, if the spur could not be turned off, fixed behind a kitchen cupboard for example. The electrician may have recorded this on the certificate this way. I suspect the council have employed a company to carry out an electrical inspection of your property, prior to rewiring it. Some tenants carry out alterations to council properties, such as your kitchen. The council may have to decide whether to take on that responsibility when carrying out the rewire, for example your neighbour may not have extended or altered their kitchen, but you have. They may consider not to rewire the kitchen, if it has be properly done & carried out recently. If its not been done correctly, they may feel its your responsibility? As others have said, the reference to 'under floor wiring' is just that the electrician could not comment on any wiring without lifting flooring, it is a limitation on the inspection only, don't read anything into that. Normally, an 'electrical installation condition report', would be given to those requesting & paying for it. Sounds like someone, in error, has given you a copy. Could you provide a copy of your certificate here, the electricians here who carry out such inspections, may be able to explain the remarks for you?

Just to add my penny worth; I think 'Neon Boiler' is perhaps a reference to a fused spur used with a neon indicator that is supplying a water heater perhaps, do you have something like that? One of the tests carried out on wiring, is an insulation resistance test, part of which is live to neutral (sometimes referred to as 'live-live). A fused spur with a neon indicator, could affect the result of this test, if the spur could not be turned off, fixed behind a kitchen cupboard for example. The electrician may have recorded this on the certificate this way. I suspect the council have employed a company to carry out an electrical inspection of your property, prior to rewiring it. Some tenants carry out alterations to council properties, such as your kitchen. The council may have to decide whether to take on that responsibility when carrying out the rewire, for example your neighbour may not have extended or altered their kitchen, but you have. They may consider not to rewire the kitchen, if it has be properly done & carried out recently. If its not been done correctly, they may feel its your responsibility? As others have said, the reference to 'under floor wiring' is just that the electrician could not comment on any wiring without lifting flooring, it is a limitation on the inspection only, don't read anything into that. Normally, an 'electrical installation condition report', would be given to those requesting & paying for it. Sounds like someone, in error, has given you a copy. Could you provide a copy of your certificate here, the electricians here who carry out such inspections, may be able to explain the remarks for you?
I believe you, thousands wouldn't

can anyone please tell me what it means by neon boiler high reading on live-live ? i do not have any boilers or heaters what so ever in my property,
Who provided the report? Would you be able to take a picture of the relevant part and post it here?
Or even the whole thing - leaving out any personal details of course.

On the face of it the report sounds, at best, ill informed. Or worse. Scam comes to mind.

Reply to advice please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock