Search the forum,

Discuss AFDD in 18th 2nd Amendment in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Die cast in what ? OK, sloppy use of words, but "steel" is shorter to write than "ferrous metal" - I'm assuming you mean die cast iron - plastic CU cases are die cast, as are many aluminium boxes (obviously excluding ones that are folded from flat sheet), ...

I don't know what metal they are specifically but the have the feel of, and drill like, the kind of metal boxes that are often sold as just 'die cast project boxes'. I think they are usualy some aluminium/zinc/magnesium based alloy but don't know for sure.

Aluminium is "interesting".
Having looked it up, it's classed as non-combustible as a solid - but I think we're all aware that if you do get it going, which is a lot easier in powder form, then it takes off big time (c.f. Thermite). But again, because BS7671 doesn't specify how "non-combustible" is determined (e.g. by reference to existing standards), there's no objective way of saying aluminium complies with the regulation.

But having said that, die-cast aluminium CUs would be quite nice to work with.

Reactions: DPG
Diecast aluminium can be nice to work with, but it can also easily crack if mistreated trying to put in a big hole, etc.

Realistically pressed steel sheet is the cheapest and easiest solution to making a CU fire-containing, though some plastics would also be an option (but probably more expensive).

Aluminium is "interesting".
Having looked it up, it's classed as non-combustible as a solid - but I think we're all aware that if you do get it going, which is a lot easier in powder form, then it takes off big time (c.f. Thermite). But again, because BS7671 doesn't specify how "non-combustible" is determined (e.g. by reference to existing standards), there's no objective way of saying aluminium complies with the regulation.

But having said that, die-cast aluminium CUs would be quite nice to work with.
NOTE 1: Ferrous metal, e.g. steel, is deemed to be an example

Aluminium is a non-ferrous metal

The regs point is that the enclosure be non-combustible, if a manufacture produces a consumer unit and specify that it's non-combustible then I can't see any reason for not using it.

Last edited:
If they specify that it's non-combustible to the standard specified by BS7671, no problem. Now which standard does BS7671 reference 🙄

If they specify that it's non-combustible to the standard specified by BS7671, no problem. Now which standard does BS7671 reference 🙄

They also don't specify a standard for steel ones either.

No, but they specified that its deemed to comply - therefore using steel (or any other ferrous metal) complies with the regs.

No, but they specified that its deemed to comply - therefore using steel (or any other ferrous metal) complies with the regs.

They only deem it to be an example of a non-combustible material, they don't say “steel complies”.

The practical effect of the wording is that they say exactly that. Is there any other interpretation of "You must use X, ferrous metal is deemed to be X" other than "using ferrous metal complies with the requirement to use X" ? Since steel is a ferrous metal, then using it is deemed to comply because the note says it does - there is no scope for doubt since ferrous metal is by definition one based on iron, and steel is an alloy composed mainly of iron.

Though I suppose you could go down the rabbit hole of pointing out that they don't define what ferrous metal is ...

NOTE 1: Ferrous metal, e.g. steel, is deemed to be an example

Aluminium is a non-ferrous metal

The regs point is that the enclosure be non-combustible, if a manufacture produces a consumer unit and specify that it's non-combustible then I can't see any reason for not using it.
Cast Aluminium, available from screwstation.

Are these compliant?

Screenshot_20220820-122649_Samsung Internet.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to AFDD in 18th 2nd Amendment in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back