Search the forum,

Discuss AFDD in 18th 2nd Amendment in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say yes as long as it's deemed to be non-combustible, but that’s listed as a garage consumer unit.

According to Luceco Technical Team,
This board is fully compliant with all of the manufacturing requirements in the 18th edition of the wiring regulations.

Last edited:
Realistically all of the metals used for electrical work are going to be acceptable, steel is cheapest and easy to work with. Aluminium is easier to mould in to odd shapes and has some theoretical advantages (e.g. higher strength to weight ratio, non-magnetic, higher conductivity) but cost is likely to go against it. Same for copper and brass, but knobs on the price tag.

There are some metals that would not be acceptable, most obvious is magnesium alloys as they will burn spectacularly in air if heated to even normal temperatures. Less obvious are alloys with large amounts of beryllium in them as they result in toxic dust if worked, as well as being expensive.

Trying to get my head round this. Chlorine trifluoride? Crikey, i don't want to meet that any time soon! However, that and an oxygen lance are unlikely bedfellows for a domestic CU. I'm presuming that what the regs are intending, though not saying, is that the material used should be non-combustible "in the normally envisaged environment in which it is installed"...I'm simply thinking that, eg in a normal house, you are unlikely to encounter a situation where conditions can exist which would cause a normally non-combustible material to go on fire, and the purpose of the enclosure is to contain any fire that may occur within the enclosure, or prevent any fire externally from gaining access to the interior of the enclosure. I can see that steel is probably the easiest and cheapest solution for many reasons. Would carbon fibre be an option as i believe it has a very high temperature melting point and doesn't actually combust? It would look really "cool" too!

I checked the specs on them and it actually says its cast steel.

You checked the wrong one.

Put 1926g in.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/briti...d=337165#product_additional_details_container

I'm presuming that what the regs are intending, though not saying, is that the material used should be non-combustible "in the normally envisaged environment in which it is installed"
Yes, I think we all assume that. But in terms of signing a certificate to say "this installation complies with BS7671 ed foo amd bar" then I don't think "we all assume" is sufficient. I'd agree that an oxygen lance or ClF3 is highly unlikely to be involved, but I'm sure some interesting cases have come up in the past - hence the adage that nothing is foolproof as fools are so inventive.
All they (the committee behind BS7671) had to do was reference an existing standard, or simply state "when heated to X˚C in a normal atmosphere" if they didn't want to use an existing standard. Had they done that then there'd be an objective test allowing the use of any material that met the specific requirements. I.e. it would be really easy - "does the material meet the laid down objective test ?", if yes then it can be used.

Yes, I think we all assume that. But in terms of signing a certificate to say "this installation complies with BS7671 ed foo amd bar" then I don't think "we all assume" is sufficient. I'd agree that an oxygen lance or ClF3 is highly unlikely to be involved, but I'm sure some interesting cases have come up in the past - hence the adage that nothing is foolproof as fools are so inventive.
All they (the committee behind BS7671) had to do was reference an existing standard, or simply state "when heated to X˚C in a normal atmosphere" if they didn't want to use an existing standard. Had they done that then there'd be an objective test allowing the use of any material that met the specific requirements. I.e. it would be really easy - "does the material meet the laid down objective test ?", if yes then it can be used.
Wouldn't that be BS EN 61439-3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to AFDD in 18th 2nd Amendment in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock