Currently reading:
Annoying simple circuit

Discuss Annoying simple circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Ldm

hi ladies and gents

I have opened a ring final circuit to add 3 sockets. All was goin well till I powered it up and it keeps tripping. I have tested and IR comes back fine. continuity also fine, all test readings are fine. the circuit has 9 sockets and has a 32 type c rcbo. any other info needed please ask.

sorry for the short message but my keyboard is dying.

thank you

Fine thanks mate. I'm struggling to see what Sparkie30's point is, the full series of tests in their correct order will identify any incorrect terminations as we all know. I think some are forgetting that the result of one test is a by product of another :)

Fine thanks mate. I'm struggling to see what Sparkie30's point is, the full series of tests in their correct order will identify any incorrect terminations as we all know. I think some are forgetting that the result of one test is a by product of another :)

I agree fully... also shanky is a bright lad and generally right but i think confused himself here. I also want to know what sparkie30 point is ??

I agree fully... also shanky is a bright lad and generally right but i think confused himself here. I also want to know what sparkie30 point is ??
confused? doing R1+R2 end to end tests at ccu wont show up if there in the wrong terminal in field with nothing plugged in

if i was doing r1+r2 in the field then of course it would show up but what most people use a quick R1+R2 for is to check continuity of the ring.

confused? doing R1+R2 end to end tests at ccu wont show up if there in the wrong terminal in field with nothing plugged in

if i was doing r1+r2 in the field then of course it would show up but what most people use a quick R1+R2 for is to check continuity of the ring.
Shanky the result you're on about is a result you get from the polarity test on an RCF. Now think about how that's done mate.
You're missing out a very important step.

my point is if you at socket wired neutrals on earth and earths on neutral. when doing tests on the board not socket. your tester will not tell you that you wired a socket wrong. from my understanding thats what shanky said.

when doing continuity, you checking the resistance of conductors and making sure connected inline

Yes shanky confused..... have a think !!!
feb32d97095cf2738831e323f544d24e.jpg

what im saying is if the right cores are together there just in the wrong terminals in the back of say a 2gang socket

then the fault would only apear when something is plugged in

because there wouldnt be a dead short between the cores or anything and your readings would be as expected

my point is if you at socket wired neutrals on earth and earths on neutral. when doing tests on the board not socket. your tester will not tell you that you wired a socket wrong. from my understanding thats what shanky said.

when doing continuity, you checking the resistance of conductors and making sure connected inline
How and why do you carry out a polarity test on a ring?
The tests you're describing are a very small part of the testing process and doing only these tests means that you have not tested the circuit properly.

feb32d97095cf2738831e323f544d24e.jpg

what im saying is if the right cores are together there just in the wrong terminals in the back of say a 2gang socket

then the fault would only apear when something is plugged in

because there wouldnt be a dead short between the cores or anything and your readings would be as expected

But you still have to check at every socket outlet on the circuit...... not just connect them together at the board and test there !!!!!
Otherwise what's the point in doing this test shanky???

Last edited by a moderator:
End to end, measure resistance Lto L NtoN EtoE, at origin fig8 LtoE measure resistance looking for half resistance, go round each socket on ring the same value should be obtained, repeat on NE. Proving continuity and polarity.

you guys dont read the full posts do you? i was saying most people do this test at the board and it only takes one missed socket to hide this issue.

just because it would be very rare to find it doesn't mean we should ignore that it can happen, without knowing what can and cant happen it makes the job a lot harder.

in an ideal world you would spot this kind of problem before you even get your test gear out

its called a test and inspection your supposed to do a visual first and its something to watch out for because things like this might come up as clear during tests but its not right

you guys dont read the full posts do you? i was saying most people do this test at the board and it only takes one missed socket to hide this issue.

just because it would be very rare to find it doesn't mean we should ignore that it can happen, without knowing what can and cant happen it makes the job a lot harder.

in an ideal world you would spot this kind of problem before you even get your test gear out

its called a test and inspection your supposed to do a visual first and its something to watch out for because things like this might come up as clear during tests but its not right

I think the point is that it will show up if the tests are carried out properly and in the correct sequence.

Reply to Annoying simple circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock