Discuss Fault on Ring final circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

USB socket, or an actual fault within a socket itself.

I'm not really following everything that's happened today... just throwing another couple ideas in there

OK. Thanks for all the help. I can't test the pump right now because the wire goes through an underground tube between the plug (to external socket) and the pump itself which is 4ft deep in a manhole inspection chamber. It's a set up I inherited with the house. It's chucking it down with rain and I feel unsafe doing outside electrical tests in the rain and dark.

With the pump unplugged, nothing is tripping. I will look at it properly tomorrow. But this big ring circuit is apparently now working OK. The fault appears to be entirely coincidental to my work on moving a socket in the room being refurbed. Sods law I suppose, as this led me to focus on the work I was doing, which it seems with nothing at all to do with the actual fault.

I am very grateful for all the help I have received from you all here on this thread. I know I've been slow to work through everything as I've had to

I think you have been unlucky to have recent bad weather at the same time you were doing work, so a bit of a confusion. Sensible to wait until you can safely investigate the pump and see if it is recoverable/repairable or needs replacement.

Your r1, rN, and r2 values are a bit odd but 0.21 of a difference in L & N is not your biggest problem just now (though ideally less than 0.05 ohm). Most likely there is one poor joint/tarnished terminal behind it so if you have plans to refresh the sockets then you might find/fix it automatically doing that.

I can't test the pump right now because the wire goes through an underground tube between the plug (to external socket) and the pump itself which is 4ft deep in a manhole inspection chamber.
You should be able to test it from the plug/socket. I doubt if a submersible that accessing will help unless it needs replacing.

Thanks everyone. Was cut off in mid sentence as I suddenly felt ill and have been asleep. Anyway, thanks for the patience and help. I have learnt quite a lot. Mainly that I know less about domestic wiring issues than I thought! The guidance here has been very generous.

I am in the process of doing up the whole house, which is an old barn conversion, and replacing sockets as I have gone along. All new circuits have been either installed by a pro (the one currently in Eire) or by me and then checked by him.

I was unfortunate as said above that just as I was replacing sockets in a room (they all needed to be moved outwards due to panelling being installed) and so old brass sockets were switched to new SS Hagers, the fault occurred. At first it was a slow fault - in which I could reset the RCD and then it would trip after a few minutes. Then after a while would not reset at all. I just assumed for a long time that I had created the problem, even though I have replaced hundred of sockets in my time and am very meticulous.

The pump is a Draper unit and must be at least 10 years old. I fitted the outside socket a year ago, replacing an old one that was there before, and it was a quality unit and tested. The submersible pump is crucial and I have a spare at hand and will install that tomorrow.

The fault has done me a favour as it has made me trace the circuit round the house, and I now know it goes from the socket where I had been working, up through plastic conduit to a large bedroom where it feeds one single and two double sockets, branches off as a weird spur to a dressing room with two double sockets, then back down, through a hall and back to the CU. The bedroom is not yet refurbished and in the tracing process I have also discovered one loose socket that some dork has put a radiator across. You can't make it up. Next job will be stripping that lot out and replacing the wiring circuit entirely.

I have also made the decision to replace the 2018 CU with an entirely new Hager RCBO unit. The circuits are just confusing and illogical, and I would rather have the security of RCBOs, anti surge etc. My sparks chose Hager oriiginally as he said they are good quality sockets and CUs. The CUs elsewhere that he fitted (to new build parts and three outbuildings) are all Hager RCBOs.

This forum is a very knowledgeable resource. Super helpful.

If you are wondering why a DIYer is doing electrical stuff, it is simply that I am doing the refurb myself in my spare time, which includes a lot of new build, so it can take me ages to get some jobs done. The electrical work is therefore very piecemeal, so I found a friendly electrician who will guide and advise me, then check my work and do any Part Ps before we sign off on each section. That's why I very recently bought the Megger test unit etc, so I can do the tests he will do, make sure my work is OK before he checks it with his rig. He was going to guide me but it was Christmas /NY and so he is away with his family on holiday. Sods law.

CONCLUSION

(Couldn't see how to edit title)

It was not belting it down with rain today, so lifted the manhole cover. The pump is about 2 metres away from the socket and down a brick built chamber around 4 or 5 feet deep. It's fed from various storm drains and then pumped out to a large pond which then drains into a stream. Clean water only. But lots of it in a storm and it's a sunken terrace that can flood. The cable to the pump runs through a metal conduit (you can see where I am going here) underground just below the paving level but above the normal activation point for the float switch. The cable is terminated in a new 13amp rubber plug which goes into a new and good quality outdoor socket fitted by me. Put the megger on the socket and it tests fine. No water ingress either.

Took the plug off and pulled the wire through with a feeder twine. Cable from pump has been nibbled by something, probably voles (we have lots) about 1 meter into the pipe. They must have been determined as pipe is only about an inch diameter at most and had a thick rubber cable in it. Degraded insulation was shorting out on the pipe I expect. Cable replaced with new rubberised cable and pump tested. Runs fine, no trips. Plugged both ends of the cable pipe with silicone.

The lesson for me is that I assumed I was at fault and spent ages going over my work trying to find a non existent error. It was only when one of you guys (thanks very much PC1966) mentioned a fridge being connected, that I remembered the outdoor pump which I had forgotten was on that ring circuit (daft design - but I didn't do it). Pure coincidence that the pump feed shorting occurred just when I was working on something on the same circuit.

Last edited:

Reply to Fault on Ring final circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net