Currently reading:
British Gas churner at it again

Discuss British Gas churner at it again in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

oldtimer

I was fixing an intruder alarm and the customer said when you are finished that can you have a look at the electrics for my central heating as the BG guy said it was dangerous and it will have to be fixed the customer said its been like that for years and by the way BG did it so picture this there is a surface 5 amp socket with 2 flexes going into the plug top 1 flex is L_N_E and going to the stat the other is N_E and going to the pump the pump is 1M away from the 5 amp socket and the stat is 3M away now your asking where is the switchwire to start the pump from the stat yep its a 1.5 red taped to the 3 core flex that runs between the stat and 5 amp socket. So the BG was was a bit ruffled thinking he got another job to bump up his commission but nope he got an earfull from the customer. He was not pleased as he said all they are interested in is sales I told him that some of these guys are under pressure to get their sales targets for the month and advised him that when they do come in ask them to put it in writing and say you want a second opinion.

Yep I got the job to fit a JB and run a 3core + earth to the stat so keep it up BG as I feel that people are no longer just accepting what you say me thinks Panarama should do an investigation on them

Last edited by a moderator:
BG are really proving their worth at the minute. Mother in law had a lamp (50w GU10) take out a 5 amp 3036 and the 16 amp RCBO (weird sub main set up), as they have insurance with BG they used it to get the electrics checked.

You've guessed it, out comes the plug in...

He then started harping on about main earth bonding as there's no cable from the water incomer, never even checked it for continuity. He was about to charge then quite a large amount to sort out the bonding until they got on the phone to me. I asked if he'd checked for continuity as the water supply is partially buried in the wall cavity 2m from the CU and he said he didn't have a tester with him. He was politely told to pack up his tools and then leave.

How can they carry out emergency response work and not even have any decent test equipment with them?

ive been to houses where they put a danger label on something cause they dont have test equipment other than a volt stick!!!!they are using the name and people dont cotton on as they get away with it constantly, there has been a few thread on here regarding BG and yes they shoulld be on watychdog again!!! and panarama.

It's not just BG, lately i've come across EoN doing this aswell lately.

Had an irate customer phone me the other week because an EoN rep had gone into thier home to survey the boiler for a maintenance contract and condemned a brand new boiler (fitted by a gas safe registered contractor) because it had a fused spur instead of a switch fused spur (boiler being on it's own dedicated circuit of CU). He'd turned the boiler off leaving no hot water/heating and stuck a label on the boiler. I turned up while the guy was still there and swapped the fused spur (after more than afew words with him about leaving customers wityh no form of heating for something that wasn't dangerous) and he wasn't too happy EoN wasn't doing the (not vital at all) works.

BG are really proving their worth at the minute. Mother in law had a lamp (50w GU10) take out a 5 amp 3036 and the 16 amp RCBO (weird sub main set up), as they have insurance with BG they used it to get the electrics checked.

You've guessed it, out comes the plug in...

He then started harping on about main earth bonding as there's no cable from the water incomer, never even checked it for continuity. He was about to charge then quite a large amount to sort out the bonding until they got on the phone to me. I asked if he'd checked for continuity as the water supply is partially buried in the wall cavity 2m from the CU and he said he didn't have a tester with him. He was politely told to pack up his tools and then leave.

How can they carry out emergency response work and not even have any decent test equipment with them?

They check for Zs-Ze with a Socket & See led tester green pass red fail

I keep explaining to customers when they tell you your house is not up to specthey are correct but because your house was installed to the regs at the time then you are not legally obliged to upgrade unless you have had some recent changes

Reply to British Gas churner at it again in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock