Search the forum,

Discuss Building regs, joist cutting? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Drilling attic joists may not be such a problem depending on what there doing, if there part of trusses then that's a definite no no
If there joists with very little weight on them then that's no going to cause much of a problem

Drilling attic joists may not be such a problem depending on what there doing, if there part of trusses then that's a definite no no
If there joists with very little weight on them then that's no going to cause much of a problem

Have you read what (if anything) the Building Regs. say abou it?

NOT being "funny" with you - it's just that there's something rattling around in the back of my mind that says it isn't permitted and I don't have a copy of said regs.

Me too Geordie. - pretty sure its verboten. For obvious reasons!

and repairing such abominations I believe involves some proper boltage with nuttage and hefty bits of wood. Not some battenning and a few screws

Whilst on this topic, during a rewire I was pulled up on re-using existing holes in the joists (in cellar) to run my cables. Building control guy wanted me to drill new ones in the correct place. Even though the ones in the 'wrong' place were already there. I tried to point out that drilling more holes would only serve to weaken the joist further, but he wouldn't have it.

Muppets!

He should have self-terminated at that point. How can anyone be so stupid.

Me too Geordie. - pretty sure its verboten. For obvious reasons!

and repairing such abominations I believe involves some proper boltage with nuttage and hefty bits of wood. Not some battenning and a few screws

Thank you.

The repair method I was told involves steel plates - instead of your hefty bits of wood - and nuts, washers & bolts ( or lengths of studding & nuts & washers )

And what happens when the householder goes hoofing around his attic...a split ceiling at least.
As for the LABC comments/posts from kingeri etc......what is it with local govt and their employees, everything by the book, busy bodying, PCness, the list is endless. I fooking hate them! Bunch of clueless idiots who've got the 'Gab' that they can con people to vote them in.

More strong cider for me!

And what happens when the householder goes hoofing around his attic...a split ceiling at least.
As for the LABC comments/posts from kingeri etc......what is it with local govt and their employees, everything by the book, busy bodying, PCness, the list is endless. I fooking hate them! Bunch of clueless idiots who've got the 'Gab' that they can con people to vote them in.

More strong cider for me!

The same thing that would happen by walking around upstairs with floor joists notched or drilled. That's why limitations are placed on any type of joist, loft of floor. Trusses are the "no-no". Last time saying it.

Reply to Building regs, joist cutting? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back