Currently reading:
Car marker light as blinker

Discuss Car marker light as blinker in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

2x relays?

One switches on stop lights, the other switches on blinkers. The output of each would be common, and feed the marker lights.

3 relays. Left, right and stop……??

4 if you have “left” markers and “right”

Oh… now what colour are the markers? Do stop lights have to be red, and turn signals have to be amber?

2x relays?

One switches on stop lights, the other switches on blinkers. The output of each would be common, and feed the marker lights.

3 relays. Left, right and stop……??

4 if you have “left” markers and “right”

Oh… now what colour are the markers? Do stop lights have to be red, and turn signals have to be amber?

OP said "I want a device that powers the marker light when the parking lights are on and blinks(in sync)"

He only has one bulb/led in the amber marker, he wants to have the side light marker also be used as the indicator.
What you suggest won't work properly.

Last edited:
As above
so side lights on means marker light on
when indicating, marker light has to flash in synchronism with vehicle indicators (meaning on together, off together - legal requirement in UK, don't know about Canada)
That means when side lights are on, and indicating, the marker light has to go out in synchronism with indicators.
I haven't worked out relay logic for this, but it sounds as if it should be possible.
I suspect you may need a separate circuit for each side of the car.

As above
so side lights on means marker light on
when indicating, marker light has to flash in synchronism with vehicle indicators (meaning on together, off together - legal requirement in UK, don't know about Canada)
That means when side lights are on, and indicating, the marker light has to go out in synchronism with indicators.
I haven't worked out relay logic for this, but it sounds as if it should be possible. I wondered about using a dual coil relay!
I suspect you may need a separate circuit for each side of the car.

I gave him a simple circuit at #8

a NC relay controlled by indicators. NO controlled by sides. Relay outputs in series.

When sides are on, markers are on.
When indicators are on, the NC relay will open, thus turning off the feed into the NO relay and turning off the marker when the indicator is on. And vice versa.

Kind of reverse synched.

Would have to be two pairs for each side.

I’m sure a third relay on each side could sort the reverse of the on-off-on synch

a NC relay controlled by indicators. NO controlled by sides. Relay outputs in series.

When sides are on, markers are on.
When indicators are on, the NC relay will open, thus turning off the feed into the NO relay and turning off the marker when the indicator is on. And vice versa.

Kind of reverse synched.

Would have to be two pairs for each side.

I’m sure a third relay on each side could sort the reverse of the on-off-on synch
You don't need all those relays.
I gave a circuit to do what the OP asked for at #8

You don't need all those relays.
I gave a circuit to do what the OP asked for at #8
Yes you did indeed, and I haven't seen any other simple alternative yet.
But the caveat is that (when the side lights are on) the indicator on to off transition has to be tweaked to match the speed of the vehicle indicator, rather than using the on to off transition to logically trigger indicator 'off'. So perhaps synchronism not 'guaranteed'?

Yes you did indeed, and I haven't seen any other simple alternative yet.
But the caveat is that (when the side lights are on) the indicator on to off transition has to be tweaked to match the speed of the vehicle indicator, rather than using the on to off transition to logically trigger indicator 'off'. So perhaps synchronism not 'guaranteed'?
Once the indicator is started the relay is latched, so the blink rate is exactly the same

Oh OK - didn't think of latching relay - thanks.
It’s not actually a latching relay the transistor and capacitor makes it latch for a small amount of time but the indicator recharges the cap so the relay keeps the tail light supply off as long as the indicator is on

Yes, but giving him a circuit that won't work after having one that will isn't very helpful :)
how wont it work?

When the side lights are on, the marker lights are on.... When the indicators flash on-off-on, the markers will then flash also.... at the same rate.... But off-on-off

Anything can be done with a number of relays.

how wont it work?

When the side lights are on, the marker lights are on.... When the indicators flash on-off-on, the markers will then flash also.... at the same rate.... But off-on-off

Anything can be done with a number of relays.

The OP as you know said that they have to be in sync with the other indicators, yours will be the opposite.

My simple circuit uses one relay and will be in sync.

And your statement saying “Anything can be done with a number of relays“ Anything ? 🤣

Reply to Car marker light as blinker in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back