Search the forum,

Discuss Confusing bathroom lights and fan wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I'd like to separate my bathroom lights from the fan at the switch, but it's a mess. Can you tell from the photo what's actually been done here, and how can I safely figure out what all of these wires are for?

lumux1m12dt11.jpg

For full context:

• I've had IP65 downlights fitted in my bathroom, using Hue Smart Bulbs, which should be left on at the switch, but I can't do this because that would also leave the fan on
  • I live in a flat with a single extraction duct for the bathroom and kitchen with an inline fan
  • There is a fan isolator high in the airing cupboard (fan is located above, but access is very difficult)
  • The fan can be turned on/off instantly using a fan switch in the kitchen or the light switch for the bathroom
Thanks!

Someone has done some rather non conventional wiring there through a double-pole switch and it is highly unlikely we can give you advice from a distance. Yes it is possible and as suggested above seek professional help.

You've got a little problem there, mate. That is a 20A double pole switch being used as a lightswitch. There is a live conductor being switched through terminals marked as neutral. Confusing.

As my esteemed colleagues have already suggested, an electrician will be able to make sense of it within a few minutes with the correct equipment

The electrician who sorted the spotlights spent a while on it, couldn't figure it out and ran out of time. Guess I'll need to find another electrician...

if you post your location 1 of us may be close to sort it for you.

As a matter of interest does the fan carry on for a while after the switch is turned off, the wiring from what I can make out suggests it does not.

It isn't that unconventional! It is just a method of wiring using an sfcu to give isolation to all 3 live fan conductors whilst not isolating the bathroom light (so that you can see what you are doing!). Avoids having a triple pole isolator and is a neat way od doing things

Reply to Confusing bathroom lights and fan wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back