Search the forum,

Discuss Connecting to a new supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wistedranks

Hi. This is my first post so if any admin see this, I'm sorry if I'm breaking any rules!

Anyway let's get down to it.

I've recently found myself a nice 1st floor unit to set up a small office in a neglected building (that's taken about 2 weeks to clean up, looked like an indoor skip to begin with). There will be about 15 workstations, a few fluros for lighting, and some heating as I'm thinking it's going to get cold when the winter comes back around. Maybe a small breakout area too, coffee machine / microwave, that kind of thing.

It's powered through some old grid that the landlord seems to think he can charge extortionate rates. But good news is westernpower have brought in a new supply over the other side of the estate - 100 amp fuses? (about 100m away).

So, questions.

Can I get a electric company (eon / npower / whatever) to set up an individual meter for me? Any idea what it would cost?

How much should I expect to pay for cabling (which will probably run along the outside of the building) and installation of the lighting and about 15 wall sockets?

I want a new breaker and repositioned so it's not so annoyingly behind the door. If you've got any idea about cost, please factor that in.

Want all this done within 2 weeks, am I being realistic?

Any input from the professionals here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wistedranks

No rules broken and welcome to the forum.

Note to members, this is not a DIY question, just a request for advice on costs and timescales etc.

Good luck with your new work space.

Appreciate the welcome, I'll probably be spending a bit of time here till we're sorted.

From what I understand, it's been pulled in to become the new supply for all units on the estate. I assume everyone is supposed to have their individual meters there. Does that make sense?

To register a new supply or meter you would need to ask WPD for an MPAN (Meter Point Administration Number). You would not be allowed to request that without written permission from the land/property owner and you cannot ask EDF (or similar) for a meter without this MPAN.

Thanks, I'll be sure to get the MPAN from the landlord first thing tomorrow. So glad I found this forum, it would've probably taken me a fair while to find that out. Anything else I need to know / any advice on other questions as well?

If the supply has been put in for this purpose then you will have get in touch with the DNO about having a meter installed. You will probably have to get a switch fuse installed at the meter position with the tails hanging out ready to be connected to the new meter. What sort of load are you looking at in your unit?

Thanks, I'll be sure to get the MPAN from the landlord first thing tomorrow. So glad I found this forum, it would've probably taken me a fair while to find that out. Anything else I need to know / any advice on other questions as well?

Sorry mate.

Only WPD can give you that and they will not unless the LL gives you permission.

Reply to Connecting to a new supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back