Search the forum,

Discuss Controlling plug sockets room by room in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Neil2021

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

Would really appreciate some advice on this as I have pretty limited electrical knowledge

I live in a fairly new build home with 3 floors and the fuse box can either turn off all the plug sockets on the ground floor or turn off all the plug sockets on the 2nd and 3rd floor in every room

I basically want to be able to switch off sockets or power room by room, basically so I can turn the kids electric off at night to stop them staying up half the night ? without it affecting the other rooms

I've used WiFi plugs (not sockets) but these can be easily overridden or just unplugged, so not much use

What would be the easiest and cheapest way to do this, would it require any kind of rewiring or a new fuse box or circuit breaker?, I have looked at WiFi sockets but most of these can still be switched on and off manually, I did find a lightwave socket that can be controlled by RF and has a child lock but this would need installation and don't know how reliable these would be

Thanks in advance

Without doing some research on this (it's a very unusual request)... I'd suggest that the easiest way to achieve what you want is the Lightwave RF option with child lock. Any 'hard wiring' would be far more disruptive and would need very careful thought and planning... due to a whole host of possible issues.

Would be quite invasive to achieve what you need as the install was not deigned to do this.
I know a few customers whom I have installed a network for turn the WIFI off over night using the setting in the router to stop kids playing games all night.
It appears now that without WIFI nout works.

Last edited:
Without doing some research on this (it's a very unusual request)... I'd suggest that the easiest way to achieve what you want is the Lightwave RF option with child lock. Any 'hard wiring' would be far more disruptive and would need very careful thought and planning... due to a whole host of possible issues.
Thanks, I did try and research online but not a lot of information out there and also asked an electrician, who said to just get a new fuse box but didn't think it would be as simple as that

Would be quite invasive to achieve what you need as the install was not deigned to do when it was designed.
I know a few customers whom I have installed a network for turn the WIFI off over night using the setting in the router to stop kids playing games all night.
Yeah I imagine it would of needed to be wired up this way from the start, I can turn their WiFi off at night but they can get round that by using mobile data and tethering

You may need a new fuse board to house the additional MCBs for the separated circuit. but the wiring under the floor will need re-configuring.

The only time I have done installs like this are on large mansions.

Would it not be easier to remove all equipment out of their rooms. Splitting the circuits will be a big job.
Yeah it's looking like it will be a lot more complex that I thought, I could take everything out of their room every night but just means unplugging and plugging everything in every day

Yeah I imagine it would of needed to be wired up this way from the start, I can turn their WiFi off at night but they can get round that by using mobile data and tethering
Then take their mobiles off them at night until they learn. How old are these kids?

You can install remotely switched socket outlets at each point.

So in each bedroom outlet (turn the whole power for the house off first!!!!) remove the existing outlets and fit the replacements (Whatever cables were in L must go in the new L, whatever cables were in N must go in the new N, and whatever cables were in E must go in the new E) - much better to get an electrician to do it.

Then you can download an app to your phone and configure each socket outlet to operate from your phone app.

BG do one, type BG 922HC for a double socket outlet - around £16/17 each I think (edit £15 at screwfix)

You will need to stick to the one make usually, but there are several around.

there are a couple of issues - firstly the cost, and secondly if your kids are smart they could configure it all themselves as well.

Some example instructions attached

Attachments

• BG_Smart_Adaptor_Home_How_To_Guide.pdf
    937.7 KB · Views: 19
I guess you could split that ring into two radials... such that the kids bedroom is at the end of one of the radials... then on the radial that feeds the kids room, find the last socket before it enters that room and replace it with a key switch of some sort.

Or... you could covert their room into a faraday cage... thus blocking all internet signal... that might inhibit activity ?

Or just unplug the internet router ??

Not me being too personal here, but I think you need to engage with your kids a bit more. Rules, boundaries & regulations. Speaking from my experiences, if you can't agree on simple house rules at 15-17 years old, your going to visit a whole new world of hurt as they get older, and they start making up the rules for you to follow.

I think doing what you are proposing, is going to make them feel like they'll do other things, just to challenge your time reducing authority, you have left.

Millions of parents are in the same predicament but do not resort to expensive solutions, although it may seem harsh at first you really need to take control here and stop the empty threats, removing laptops phones and other devices only works if they actually miss them, getting caught at night and giving them back next day is not punishment, set a punishment of 1 week without any access day or night to such and any homework that needs computer access will be done in the same room as you at a reasonable hour.
It's amazing how fast kids come into line when they cannot txt their mates or send them pics and other fun messaging stuff, removing the thing they cannot go without is the best way to stop them abusing your rules even if the rules they break have no link to what you confiscate.

Reply to Controlling plug sockets room by room in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back