Discuss Sockets keep tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would expect all the breakers to the left of the RCD to be fed from it, so if the RCD is tripped then none of those circuits will work, everything to the right should carry on working as before.
You might try unplugging everything that is on all the circuits to the left of the RCD, and seeing if the RCD will reset.
As has been said previously, a plugged in appliance, lamp, etc. with an earth to neutral fault can cause tripping even if switched off at its plug.

t
I would expect all the breakers to the left of the RCD to be fed from it, so if the RCD is tripped then none of those circuits will work, everything to the right should carry on working as before.
You might try unplugging everything that is on all the circuits to the left of the RCD, and seeing if the RCD will reset.
As has been said previously, a plugged in appliance, lamp, etc. with an earth to neutral fault can cause tripping even if switched off at its plug.

Thank you for the reply. But some of the circuits to the left of the tripped RCD are still working, such as the water heating and lighting?

The only things I can see that are not unplugged (but they are switched off at the sockets) are the plastic plug socket protectors in some of the sockets. Would that possibly be causing any problem?

The only other things still plugged into the kitchen / utility / living room are the oven / hob, which are still working.

Why is that? Could that possibly be the problem at all? Should I try unplugging any of the plastic protectors, or would it make no difference?

Worth trying, although if you've unplugged everything and the problem persists you really need to get someone in to inspect and check the wiring, especially to that outside light you mentioned if it's fed from the problematic circuit.

Worth trying, although if you've unplugged everything and the problem persists you really need to get someone in to inspect and check the wiring, especially to that outside light you mentioned if it's fed from the problematic circuit.

Surely as they are plastic (and also plug sockets not switched on) surely that could not be any problem to cause electrics to trip?... Although I will unplug them all if there is any possibility they are the cause? I would have thought that only an actual electrical item plugged in could cause electrics to trip?

If I get a ladder out to check the outside light, incase that is the problem, is there a simple way I could disconnect it? Such as, should it have wires that can simply be unplugged from the back of the actual outside light itself? Or please could you advise how I can disconnect it?

Also, is there anything on the circuits that ae still working that I should unplug - Such as sockets that are still working in other parts of house / water heating that is still working, or lights that are still working? Or would that make no difference to the problem?

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. But some of the circuits to the left of the tripped RCD are still working, such as the water heating and lighting?
I am puzzled by this!
So just to clarify, the water heater MCB to the left of the RCD, and the lighting MCB to the left of the RCD, are continuing to power circuits that are still working, with the RCD off (tripped)?
Are you saying that because, for example, you still have hot water, or have you checked the light on the immersion heater/ water heater and it is still on?
Similarly with the lighting, if you switch that MCB on the left to 'off', do the working lights go off?

I am puzzled by this!
So just to clarify, the water heater MCB to the left of the RCD, and the lighting MCB to the left of the RCD, are continuing to power circuits that are still working, with the RCD off (tripped)?
Are you saying that because, for example, you still have hot water, or have you checked the light on the immersion heater/ water heater and it is still on?
Similarly with the lighting, if you switch that MCB on the left to 'off', do the working lights go off?

No, when the RCD protector is tripped, none of the circuits to the left will work. But with the RCD protector switched on (which will only remain on if the "sockets" breaker immediately to it's left is switched off) some of the circuits to the left are still working (water heater and lighting). ?

Thank you for the link, I wasnt aware of that and will make me think twice about them. What about any water damage to a socket? Would it be more dangerous with water damage to have a socket with plug protector plugged in, or without?

Thank you for the link, I wasnt aware of that and will make me think twice about them. What about any water damage to a socket? Would it be more dangerous with water damage to have a socket with plug protector plugged in, or without?

I did have a bad shock from one of the double kitchen sockets a few months ago - The sockets were switched off with nothing plugged in and I was cleaning the kitchen, and wiped over the plug socket with a slightly damp cloth and accidently switched one of the sockets on as I cleaned it, and got a bad shock.... That's one of the reasons I got the plastic plug in protectors for any sockets not in use.

Hi,

Just wanted to give an update. Finally all working again! Although is a little too late to save the freezer food unfortunately.

I removed all of the plastic plug socket protectors and one of them was slightly wet behind. I then plugged them all back in again and the problem has now solved with all breakers now remaining on.

Please could you confirm if having plastic plug protectors plugged in, even when the plugs are switched off at the socket, does that create any kind of power surge through the socket in the same way an electrical item would (even when switched off)? Eg, can the plastic plug protectors create any kind of circuit overload at all?

I only got the plastic protectors due to previously getting a nasty shock when wiping an unused socket with a slightly damp cloth (I accidentally switched the switch on as I wiped it).

The plastic plug protectors were the very last thing I expected the problem to be. I am still a bit unsure about how that could have tripped the circuit with one of them being slightly wet, as the sockets are always switched off at the plug?

If the same socket (switched off) had a drop of water on it, without any plastic plug protector, would that still have tripped the power the same way?

The plastic plug protectors are flush against the sockets, so I cannot see how any water got behind that?

Thank you for your help in solving the problem.

Last edited:
Water and electricity do not mix, any moisture inside a socket outlet spells big trouble with short circuits and or earth faults, if you must clean the sockets protectors ensure they are completely dry before you put them back in and switch them back on, you have been lucky to have not given yourself a shock or even worse.

Water and electricity do not mix, any moisture inside a socket outlet spells big trouble with short circuits and or earth faults, if you must clean the sockets protectors ensure they are completely dry before you put them back in and switch them back on, you have been lucky to have not given yourself a shock or even worse.

Just to clarify, the RCD protector breaker to those circuits was tripped when I removed the plastic plug protectors to check them (plus I also had rubber gloves on), and yes the one that was very slightly wet behind was fully dried before plugging it back in. I then tried to reset the RCD protector breaker to those circuits and it finally worked!

The bad shock I had a few months ago was before I had any plastic plug protectors. That socket was in the kitchen and had nothing at all plugged into it at the time.

Water and electricity are indeed a poor combination, but I'm concerned about you receiving a shock from wiping sockets with a 'slightly' damp cloth and also the presence of moisture behind one of those protectors.

At this time it would appear as though the RCD is doing what it should, but in the general run of things you shouldn't have received a shock and no moisture ought to penetrate inside a socket if wiped with a slightly damp cloth.

Either we have very different opinions on the definition of 'slightly damp' or that moisture got there through other means. I can only opine on the basis of information provided, but something doesn't add up.

Just to clarify, the RCD protector breaker to those circuits was tripped when I removed the plastic plug protectors to check them (plus I also had rubber gloves on), and yes the one that was very slightly wet behind was fully dried before plugging it back in. I then tried to reset the RCD protector breaker to those circuits and it finally worked!

The bad shock I had a few months ago was before I had any plastic plug protectors. That socket was in the kitchen and had nothing at all plugged into it at the time.

Water and electricity are indeed a poor combination, but I'm concerned about you receiving a shock from wiping sockets with a 'slightly' damp cloth and also the presence of moisture behind one of those protectors.

At this time it would appear as though the RCD is doing what it should, but in the general run of things you shouldn't have received a shock and no moisture ought to penetrate inside a socket if wiped with a slightly damp cloth.

Either we have very different opinions on the definition of 'slightly damp' or that moisture got there through other means. I can only opine on the basis of information provided, but something doesn't add up.

That's what I thought. I was shocked too at getting a shock! So much so that I wouldn't even plug anything in or switch any socket in the house on for a few weeks afterwards without wearing rubber gloves and rubber shoes.

It was a wet wipe, but wasn't very wet at all. The switches on that socket are very sensitive to switch on - I wiped across the socket fairly lightly and accidently switched it on as I done so, which gave me the shock. Nothing was plugged into the socket at the time.

Last edited:
That's what I thought. I was shocked too at getting a shock! So much so that I wouldn't even plug anything in or switch any socket in the house on for a few weeks afterwards without wearing rubber gloves and rubber shoes.

It was a wet wipe, but wasn't very wet at all. The switches on that socket are very sensitive to switch on - I wiped across the socket fairly lightly and accidently switched it on as I done so, which gave me the shock. Nothing was plugged into the socket at the time.

I wouldn't expect moisture from a wet wipe to track behind a socket protector and cause tripping. While anything is possible, I'd be inclined to have this socket checked by an electrician and some basic testing carried out. If everything checks out and this incident does appear to have been caused by a wet wipe, I'd advise spending an extra couple of pounds and have the socket replaced as a precautionary measure.

I wouldn't expect moisture from a wet wipe to track behind a socket protector and cause tripping. While anything is possible, I'd be inclined to have this socket checked by an electrician and some basic testing carried out. If everything checks out and this incident does appear to have been caused by a wet wipe, I'd advise spending an extra couple of pounds and have the socket replaced as a precautionary measure.

No the wet wipe incident was before I purchased the plastic plug protectors - That socket which gave me the shock had nothing at all plugged into it.

The socket which had a bit of moisture behind the plastic plug protector was a different socket in a different room and I do not know how there was moisture there.

Yes I will get somebody out to have a look.

Last edited:
Apologies if they are silly questions, but could anyone please answer my questions in post 32.

Since having that bad shock, I do still feel safer using the plastic plug protectors for any sockets not in use. I am just a bit confused - Does a plastic socket protector make the plug live? Even when switched off?

I have just been reading more about them and from what I can understand, if nothing at all is plugged into a socket, there is supposed to be a safety shutter to prevent shocks? Should a socket safety shutter protect from shock even if the switch is turned on? I am just surprised I got a shock at all if plug sockets are supposed to be safe, which is why I purchased the plastic plugs.

I just found this socket protector and wondered if anyone had ever used these and if they are any good? As that might stop any future problem of any moisture tracking behind a plastic plug protector?

Safety shutters will deter all but the most determined of young curious minds and their potential issues far outweigh any benefits. The link provided in post #28 covers the main reasons why they are frowned upon.

All things being even you should not receive a shock when using them, but where you found moisture behind one it may increase the risk of shock by providing a moist path between conductors. The main reaon for their use is the belief they'll keep young children safe from electric shock, but I'd contend the potential risks they create are far greater than the risk of shock from an undamaged, safety shuttered socket.

My previous advice has been provided out of an abundance of caution, but I have concerns about your prior wet wipe experience and the presence of moisture in another socket. I'd prefer you had to spend a few hard earned pounds getting to the bottom of this, and having the issue properly resolved, while ensuring all protective devices operate as intended. What I don't want to do is read a local newspaper link about someone electrocuted through a combination of unusual fault and a failed RCD.

I understand the frustration of not having reliably working outlets, but my concerns extend beyond resolving the obvious issue to ensuring any potential failure in the future is a safe failure.

Reply to Sockets keep tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net