Currently reading:
Crimps in consumer unit?

Discuss Crimps in consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood, ...I wonder if all the criteria you have put forward against crimping solid core conductors can be put forward against the use of solid core cables, for screwed connections within accessory wall plates and the like?? lol!!

Now that WOULD be something, if we could get away from solid core cables as a whole in favour of the much more efficient and workable stranded conductors!! lol!!

Its cheaper to have screw terminals and cheaper to produce solid drawn as opposed to stranded, i agree fully that screw terminals have many issues and as long as they are accepted they will rule the roost as termination method on accessories... im not the best fan of them but in most cases you dont have the choice but to use them, some things aint gonna change any time soon, but i would say connectors should be regulated better as alot of cheap crap out there that premotes poor termination due to design flaws.

Its cheaper to have screw terminals and cheaper to produce solid drawn as opposed to stranded, i agree fully that screw terminals have many issues and as long as they are accepted they will rule the roost as termination method on accessories... im not the best fan of them but in most cases you dont have the choice but to use them, some things aint gonna change any time soon, but i would say connectors should be regulated better as alot of cheap crap out there that premotes poor termination due to design flaws.

See, we do agree most of the time...lol!!

KAS1, your right you never who your talking to:wink5:.
A better man than me to question Engy's knowledge or quals, crack on fella. This could be interesting.
Pass the 'corn Sparty........................

Is there actually anything in the regs that says you can't solder? I soldered my kitchen ring in as the missus decided she wanted a socket location moved and I saw it as the only option.

Yes is the answer section 526
Is there actually anything in the regs that says you can't solder? I soldered my kitchen ring in as the missus decided she wanted a socket location moved and I saw it as the only option.

- - - Updated - - -

your case sounds good tho

Regs regarding solder joints section 526... (where a soldered connection is used the design shall take account of creep, mechanical stress and temp' rise under fault conditions)

To note! you will have to have indepth knowledge of the solder characteristics you use and understand what the expected temp' rise would be under a fault condition and that this wont effect the soldered joint as the other points above, i assume this is solid core... if stranded or fine wire then further regs cover this 526.8

If you have buried this joint i assume the approriate insulation heat shrink was used over the joint and an appropriate environmental heat shrink sleeve over the whole joint with moisture barrier included.

Regs regarding solder joints section 526... (where a soldered connection is used the design shall take account of creep, mechanical stress and temp' rise under fault conditions)

To note! you will have to have indepth knowledge of the solder characteristics you use and understand what the expected temp' rise would be under a fault condition and that this wont effect the soldered joint as the other points above, i assume this is solid core... if stranded or fine wire then further regs cover this 526.8

If you have buried this joint i assume the approriate insulation heat shrink was used over the joint and an appropriate environmental heat shrink sleeve over the whole joint with moisture barrier included.

that isn't really any different to any other joint though is it? it hardly says don't use one, just use it sensibly.......

Sorry you only said solder, now you say solder conductors together which is it you know you have to be word perfect on here, I did say your case sounds good indicating it was fine on the old T&E stuff lol
Sorry? 526 says you cannot solder conductors together? which bit is that then?

the only restrictions on soldering I can see relate to multiwire, fine and very fine wire conductors.............

that isn't really any different to any other joint though is it? it hardly says don't use one, just use it sensibly.......
Never said it dosn't allow its use just hi-lighting the areas that would effect him, i do control systems for machinery and any failures of joints etc can be costly so im used to ensuring correct solder is used etc or any joints of any methods of connection is reliable, ive seen many failures in past from those alledged to be qualified not really thinking about the job in hand, ive seen solder joints fail just because the incorrect solder was used ... you be supprised how many ppl use plumbers solder and expect it to be ok but as long as hes used a recognised Electrical solder for LV joints hell be fine.

Sorry you only said solder, now you say solder conductors together which is it you know you have to be word perfect on here, I did say your case sounds good indicating it was fine on the old T&E stuff lol

Ah right, I wondered what the "your case sounds good" bit meant. Didn't realise this was an argument for the sake of arguing. Hang on, I need a couple of beers before I come back :lol:

Never said it dosn't allow its use just hi-lighting the areas that would effect him, i do control systems for machinery and any failures of joints etc can be costly so im used to ensuring correct solder is used etc or any joints of any methods of connection is reliable, ive seen many failures in past from those alledged to be qualified not really thinking about the job in hand, ive seen solder joints fail just because the incorrect solder was used ... you be supprised how many ppl use plumbers solder and expect it to be ok but as long as hes used a recognised Electrical solder for LV joints hell be fine.

can't argue with that but that definitely fits in my "use it sensibly" category :lol:

EDIT: which btw is my take on crimping.............

Reply to Crimps in consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back