Discuss Crimps in consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I know straight through crimps are legal (after all that was what this was all about at the start, using straight through crimps) having said that, they should not be used in this situation, it is a bodge bad practice. Next you'll be telling me it's fine to crimp in the back of a socket to extend the cables to form part of a new ring.LOL Comon lads we all know it's a short cut instead of a proper job ie terminating into an enclosed JB (which is no different than another termination at a socket) or better still replacing the cable or re-routing the cable so there are no extra joints than required. Now that should be an end to it, we are not DIY ers or cowboys or bodgers and Darkwood is spot on with his posts, take heed, these types of crimps are not for solid 2.5mm copper cores, how many more times do some of you need telling.

So the use of crimped butt connections in a CU is a bodge, and using crimped butt connections on any 2.5mm solid core connections, though recognised in your holy bible, are also a bodge too. So the billions of these connections all over the UK are all bodge jobs too!! Some of us, probably most of us ''know'' when a connection is sound... Your living in cloud cuckoo land!!

Eng, copper was always malleable in my day. The crimp and the copper cable were always shaped by the crimping tool with the crimp pinching on to the cable, that is assuming the correct tool is used. Todays copper must be a harder substance!!!!! To says anything over 1.5mm solid shouldnt be crimped is rubbish. How do you go on with a reasonable sized solid swa, size doesnt matter its the same principle.
I used to use crimps but now use wago's. Used to use a round jb, now use a Line JB. There has been the odd improvment in materials, but not many.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eng, copper was always malleable in my day. The crimp and the copper cable were always shaped by the crimping tool with the crimp pinching on to the cable, that is assuming the correct tool is used. Todays copper must be a harder substance!!!!!
I used to use crimps but now use wago's. Used to use a round jb, now use a Line JB. There has been the odd improvment in materials, but not many.

Yeah, I heard they were putting ground up chicken feathers in it now to makei t harder and injecting copper chicken breasts with water to make them heavier.

shameful

Eng, copper was always malleable in my day. The crimp and the copper cable were always shaped by the crimping tool with the crimp pinching on to the cable, that is assuming the correct tool is used. Todays copper must be a harder substance!!!!!

To be totally honest i'm not keen on solid core cables in the first place, it was in my opinion a definite mistake and step backwards replacing the old stranded cable. Far better to have brought in stranded metric conductors for the 1 / 1.5 /2.5mm sizes. After all, they only use stranded conductors in SWA cable construction. I'm actually trying to convince the contractor here to purchase stranded conductors over solid. 2.5mm is the smallest building wire being allowed on this project.

But the fact remains, a correctly crimped butt connection of solid core cable, is going to be superior than any screwed connection that i'm aware of. I certainly wouldn't have a bunch of Wago connectors extending cables in a replacement CU unit that's for sure!!

To be totally honest i'm not keen on solid core cables in the first place, it was in my opinion a definite mistake and step backwards replacing the old stranded cable. Far better to have brought in stranded metric conductors for the 1 / 1.5 /2.5mm sizes. After all, they only use stranded conductors in SWA cable construction. I'm actually trying to convince the contractor here to purchase stranded conductors over solid. 2.5mm is the smallest building wire being allowed on this project.

But the fact remains, a correctly crimped butt connection of solid core cable, is going to be superior than any screwed connection that i'm aware of. I certainly wouldn't have a bunch of Wago connectors extending cables in a replacement CU unit that's for sure!!

True. Crimping is, after all, considered "permanent". Like a soldered joint.

Don't tell me you agree with the so called sparks who put straight through crimps in cables and hide the cock-up in the conduit or trunkin, push connectors, that's what's the trade is coming to lol and yes it is a bodge who the hell did some of the people on her train with were they sparkes?, as I've said before where they're twin and earth world would you need to use crimps on solid core 1.5mm or 2.5mm or 1.0mm come to that, if you need an eyelet for gods sake shape the solid core with long nose pliers and use brass washers or is that too much trouble and as for straight through crimps don't bodge for the sake of a correct termination point. Main or bonding has been mentioned for crimps but wait a min aren't they stranded cores, yet to use 10mm or 16mm solid earth cable??? If I'm asked on site for straight through crimps my first question is why!!!! what the ufck do you need them for!!!! They would be kicked off construction sites if they used the termination methods you seem keen on, push conectors, crimps on solid cores how much more ..... !!!!now as I've said you should not use them end of story. I love thread
So the use of crimped butt connections in a CU is a bodge, and using crimped butt connections on any 2.5mm solid core connections, though recognised in your holy bible, are also a bodge too. So the billions of these connections all over the UK are all bodge jobs too!! Some of us, probably most of us ''know'' when a connection is sound... Your living in cloud cuckoo land!!

Totally agree Eng and solid cable is crap.
Wago's are as permanent as a crimp, provided the you havnt got a duff one, and a damn sight easier to use. At first I was very sceptical about them but now use them all the time with a Line JB.
Being a bit lazy and not read through the the full thread, so call me a pillock if I'm out of context :redface:

Don't tell me you agree with the so called sparks who put straight through crimps in cables and hide the cock-up in the conduit or trunkin, push connectors, that's what's the trade is coming to lol and yes it is a bodge who the hell did some of the people on her train with were they sparkes?, as I've said before where they're twin and earth world would you need to use crimps on solid core 1.5mm or 2.5mm or 1.0mm come to that, if you need an eyelet for gods sake shape the solid core with long nose pliers and use brass washers or is that too much trouble and as for straight through crimps don't bodge for the sake of a correct termination point. Main or bonding has been mentioned for crimps but wait a min aren't they stranded cores, yet to use 10mm or 16mm solid earth cable??? If I'm asked on site for straight through crimps my first question is why!!!! what the ufck do you need them for!!!! They would be kicked off construction sites if they used the termination methods you seem keen on, push conectors, crimps on solid cores how much more ..... !!!!now as I've said you should not use them end of story. I love thread

Popcorn ready.

ANY connection HAS to be inside an ENCLOSURE, such as a CU, NOT trunking or conduit.
On a new installation butt crimps shouldnt even be on site, like you state.
The rest however is the biggest load of old fashion'd tosh I've ever heard. Push fit wago connectors are deemed to be maintenance free, unlike the precious screwed terminal that can be overtightened and damage the cable or work loose.
A good sparks will know if a connection is sound, as Eng stated, and to dismiss new ideas/methods is just beyond belief.
Its horses for courses and it sounds as if you work mainly in the commercial/industrial world.

.... I think your the end of the story!! .....As stated earlier, your living in Cloud Cuckoo Land, Stick to your connector strips, and you'll be fine!!

Sorry man from China I don't think you understand good practice within the UK, any form of connectors , screwed terminals or whatever are frowned upon, there are a few situations where they are acceptable such as a wall light etc But on a house rewire or a new install why the hell would you use connectors unless you are doing a bodge job, after all it's only a bit of T+E he wants to extend, I've already explained the correct method. This is in a domestic situation, you'll be telling me next they're going to use a tape joint or better still screwits, so go get some experience then make a comment. Sometimes I can't belive what I'm reading on this forum, some of you won't be told.
.... I think your the end of the story!! .....As stated earlier, your living in Cloud Cuckoo Land, Stick to your connector strips, and you'll be fine!!

not materails?, but say live in no.1, then connects nuetral in busbar no,6 them type of things
Err, no. If line is in MCB 1 then the corresponding neutral(s) and cpc(s) go in terminal number one on their respective bars. It makes life much easier and could help someone following you.

Sorry man from China I don't think you understand good practice within the UK, any form of connectors , screwed terminals or whatever are frowned upon, there are a few situations where they are acceptable such as a wall light etc But on a house rewire or a new install why the hell would you use connectors unless you are doing a bodge job, after all it's only a bit of T+E he wants to extend, I've already explained the correct method. This is in a domestic situation, you'll be telling me next they're going to use a tape joint or better still screwits, so go get some experience then make a comment. Sometimes I can't belive what I'm reading on this forum, some of you won't be told.

Not by you, you my friend are the very Last person to take advice from. ....As for experience, haha, ....i've probably forgotten more than you have ever known. Take yourself off the the Screwfix forum, you'll stand a far better chance to impress, than here!!

2nd carton of popcorn started.

Now now don't get personal, you have been doing a crap job for years don't take it out on me, just say the words "I stand corrected" and we'll say no more about crimps lol
Not by you, you my friend are the very Last person to take advice from. ....As for experience, haha, ....i've probably forgotten more than you have ever known. Take yourself off the the Screwfix forum, you'll stand a far better chance to impress, than here!!

Reply to Crimps in consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net