Search the forum,

Discuss Crimps in consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Perhaps in China they do as they please with crimps lol just accept the fact you have been wrong all these years, please use the right crimp for the right job, the type of crimp that this threat started with as far as I could make out is the straight through insulated blue type, which is fine as long as it is used on stranded / flexible cores and in an enclosure. End of story

As i thought , ..you haven't a clue what your talking about!! Stick to your screwed connector strips, and you'll be fine!!

I have read that the standard crimps should not be used with solid cores and will have to accept the statement, although I have never had cause to doubt their effectiveness

I will however state, given the choice between a solid core with a crimp or a push contact such as a Wago
I would use a crimp every time

A push fit Wago type connection would not be found on my own installations.a crimp however, if needed,I would use without hesitation

Pmsl now now boys!....
Im showing the argument from the technical side now if you work for Aviation, NASA etc this is vital and errors can cost millions or billions but with regards to domestic use the worst case is the crimp would burn out, its made of fire resistant plastic so should at worse just get hot and char, this is the same for any type of connector whether it be screw, clamp or crimp....
The problem with the reg's is it would be almost impossible to cover every aspect of every subject and il show this in that any thing you install you are required to follow manufacturers instructions but no mantion on the tools you use are subject to this... now common sense denotes that this is applicable to follow manufacturers guidelines on using their tools and i have no doubt if you contact the crimp manufacturers they will state its not suitable for solid drawn but because you dont get supplied with a set of how to crimp correctly instruction sheet with your bag of crimps it generates a senerio where users make there own standards whether correct or not.

So because i have in the past sort manufacturers tech advice regarding insulated butt crimps or similar i now have to abide by the regulation regarding following manufacturers guidelines but those who haven't sourced this info are not subject to same reg' although in industry its a given that a proffessional of any trade knows how to correctly use the equipment which he is expected to use to carry out his work.... i see it been a rare thing for such a failed crimp to end someone in court but you cant argue ignorance in court just because instructions were't supplied with product. Like connectors dont sometimes have ratings on them but how often have you seen burnt out incorrectly sized connectors used possibly by a DIYer.. i lost count but something so fundamentally simple to use will still fail if terminated poorly or in some cases if the connector is poor quality - its having the background knowhow of what is a good joint and what isnt that lets you make a good sound judgement call on a simple thing as a crimp.

Example - WAGO have a push fit connector that has 2 ampage values on it now it fits up to and including 4mm solid/strandard cable but has the stamp 24a and 32amps if i recall so here we have a connector with conflicting info on it... What is its rating?

The answer is 32amp but they print 24amp if using 2.5 because the cable CCC limits the ampage as 2.5 could overheat and could burn out the connector if carrying more than 24amps so even though you may consider it to be plug and play style termination a knowledge of the values and applications of the Wago are needed....and of course of cable calcs.

I asked all the lads at work why exactly the differing values were printed on the wago and they all just argued groundlessly the reasons although one guessed he couldn't honestly tell me he was confident he was right... i believe its your responsibility to understand what tols and equipment you use even the basic simple things will can fail if you use with assumptions only.

So question... if its 24amp rated for using 2.5 can you use it as part of a ring main thus the front end 32amp mcb effectively overates a connector in the ring main?

Last edited:
Perhaps someone here can answer the question of why the manufacturers approved lug connection to solid core HV cable is a crimped lug?? Only been involved with this type of cable on one project, but the termination kits all came with crimped lugs!! In this case all conductors were 120mm...

I'll state for the last time, a correctly terminated crimp connection, using correctly sized crimp terminals for the size of the solid cable being used, in combination with a good crimping tool, equals one very sound termination that isn't going to pull or wiggle free, or cause a high resistance joint, nor deteriorate over time.

So question... if its 24amp rated for using 2.5 can you use it as part of a ring main thus the front end 32amp mcb effectively overates a connector in the ring main?
I will answer with a question. If the connector is rated at 24 amps the 2.5 that it is joining is rated at somewhere between 17.5amps and 24amps, excluding Ref Method E (according to BS7671). So unless the cable is in free air the connector is rated within the cable rating.

If it is in Free Air (Ref Method E) then a better rated connector should be used or have I missed something?

I did stress this was only refering to the recognised ratchet crimper most sparkies should have in their kit and associated crimps and lugs.... never once said other crimpers and connectors cant be used on solid if so designed as i already mentioned many ratchet and hand action crimps are designed for solid often used in data, telecom systems etc up to HV networks... and also i have stated a few times that with re' to this discussion that said crimps are not designed to be used on solid and even if crimped correctly you cant assume a good crimp has been made, and even a bad crimp can last indefinately if the load running through it is no where near the rating of the crimp, the crimpers designed for solid core cables do not try to shape the cable but usally (not always) indent the core which with the correct crimps sees no stress cracks and give a tight allround contact with no air pockets.

Im just going with the regs here as its manufacturers guidelines you should go with and yes it might be the case a good durable crimp can be made on the solid with standard ratchet but you cant guarantee that joint as you could with a correctly terminated stranded cable..... crimp lugs are subject to extensive testing to be credible for use in the wholesale market and its these test that have shown they can't make a reliable solid core crimp thus its the guidelines they are not used for such cable.

This isn't about yours or my experience with them but industry wide guidelines ..i agree i could make a crimp butt joint in solid core and heat shrink a neat sheath over it and also expect it to last but i choose to follow guidelines as the risk exists that in doing so the crimp may not have 100% structural intergrity or afford enoughh surface contact as is designed to be when correctly used, for this reasoning i will not use them on solid drawn cables even it only takes 1 joint in an 100 to fail and it could be costly and as i go through thousands of crimps a year (on stranded and fine wire) ive had up to press no failures in 20yrs although i have come across many crimp failures in my time on both stranded and solid.

I will answer with a question. If the connector is rated at 24 amps the 2.5 that it is joining is rated at somewhere between 17.5amps and 24amps, excluding Ref Method E (according to BS7671). So unless the cable is in free air the connector is rated within the cable rating.

If it is in Free Air (Ref Method E) then a better rated connector should be used or have I missed something?

To note the connecter will be in some form of enclosure unless you intend to heatshrink a full cover sheath over the whole connector and Yes you can use them as part of a ring.

Darkwood, ...I wonder if all the criteria you have put forward against crimping solid core conductors can be put forward against the use of solid core cables, for screwed connections within accessory wall plates and the like?? lol!!

Now that WOULD be something, if we could get away from solid core cables as a whole in favour of the much more efficient and workable stranded conductors!! lol!!

choccy blocks, don't they get a beating these days.

Every CU installed in this country is .... a glorified choccy block. A box with screw terminals.

I know straight through crimps are legal (after all that was what this was all about at the start, using straight through crimps) having said that, they should not be used in this situation, it is a bodge bad practice. Next you'll be telling me it's fine to crimp in the back of a socket to extend the cables to form part of a new ring.LOL Comon lads we all know it's a short cut instead of a proper job ie terminating into an enclosed JB (which is no different than another termination at a socket) or better still replacing the cable or re-routing the cable so there are no extra joints than required. Now that should be an end to it, we are not DIY ers or cowboys or bodgers and Darkwood is spot on with his posts, take heed, these types of crimps are not for solid 2.5mm copper cores, how many more times do some of you need telling.

I know straight through crimps are legal (after all that was what this was all about at the start, using straight through crimps) having said that, they should not be used in this situation, it is a bodge bad practice. Next you'll be telling me it's fine to crimp in the back of a socket to extend the cables to form part of a new ring.LOL Comon lads we all know it's a short cut instead of a proper job ie terminating into an enclosed JB (which is no different than another termination at a socket) or better still replacing the cable or re-routing the cable so there are no extra joints than required. Now that should be an end to it, we are not DIY ers or cowboys or bodgers and Darkwood is spot on with his posts, take heed, these types of crimps are not for solid 2.5mm copper cores, how many more times do some of you need telling.

So the use of crimped butt connections in a CU is a bodge, and using crimped butt connections on any 2.5mm solid core connections, though recognised in your holy bible, are also a bodge too. So the billions of these connections all over the UK are all bodge jobs too!! Some of us, probably most of us ''know'' when a connection is sound... Your living in cloud cuckoo land!!

Eng, copper was always malleable in my day. The crimp and the copper cable were always shaped by the crimping tool with the crimp pinching on to the cable, that is assuming the correct tool is used. Todays copper must be a harder substance!!!!! To says anything over 1.5mm solid shouldnt be crimped is rubbish. How do you go on with a reasonable sized solid swa, size doesnt matter its the same principle.
I used to use crimps but now use wago's. Used to use a round jb, now use a Line JB. There has been the odd improvment in materials, but not many.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eng, copper was always malleable in my day. The crimp and the copper cable were always shaped by the crimping tool with the crimp pinching on to the cable, that is assuming the correct tool is used. Todays copper must be a harder substance!!!!!
I used to use crimps but now use wago's. Used to use a round jb, now use a Line JB. There has been the odd improvment in materials, but not many.

Yeah, I heard they were putting ground up chicken feathers in it now to makei t harder and injecting copper chicken breasts with water to make them heavier.

shameful

Eng, copper was always malleable in my day. The crimp and the copper cable were always shaped by the crimping tool with the crimp pinching on to the cable, that is assuming the correct tool is used. Todays copper must be a harder substance!!!!!

To be totally honest i'm not keen on solid core cables in the first place, it was in my opinion a definite mistake and step backwards replacing the old stranded cable. Far better to have brought in stranded metric conductors for the 1 / 1.5 /2.5mm sizes. After all, they only use stranded conductors in SWA cable construction. I'm actually trying to convince the contractor here to purchase stranded conductors over solid. 2.5mm is the smallest building wire being allowed on this project.

But the fact remains, a correctly crimped butt connection of solid core cable, is going to be superior than any screwed connection that i'm aware of. I certainly wouldn't have a bunch of Wago connectors extending cables in a replacement CU unit that's for sure!!

To be totally honest i'm not keen on solid core cables in the first place, it was in my opinion a definite mistake and step backwards replacing the old stranded cable. Far better to have brought in stranded metric conductors for the 1 / 1.5 /2.5mm sizes. After all, they only use stranded conductors in SWA cable construction. I'm actually trying to convince the contractor here to purchase stranded conductors over solid. 2.5mm is the smallest building wire being allowed on this project.

But the fact remains, a correctly crimped butt connection of solid core cable, is going to be superior than any screwed connection that i'm aware of. I certainly wouldn't have a bunch of Wago connectors extending cables in a replacement CU unit that's for sure!!

True. Crimping is, after all, considered "permanent". Like a soldered joint.

Don't tell me you agree with the so called sparks who put straight through crimps in cables and hide the cock-up in the conduit or trunkin, push connectors, that's what's the trade is coming to lol and yes it is a bodge who the hell did some of the people on her train with were they sparkes?, as I've said before where they're twin and earth world would you need to use crimps on solid core 1.5mm or 2.5mm or 1.0mm come to that, if you need an eyelet for gods sake shape the solid core with long nose pliers and use brass washers or is that too much trouble and as for straight through crimps don't bodge for the sake of a correct termination point. Main or bonding has been mentioned for crimps but wait a min aren't they stranded cores, yet to use 10mm or 16mm solid earth cable??? If I'm asked on site for straight through crimps my first question is why!!!! what the ufck do you need them for!!!! They would be kicked off construction sites if they used the termination methods you seem keen on, push conectors, crimps on solid cores how much more ..... !!!!now as I've said you should not use them end of story. I love thread
So the use of crimped butt connections in a CU is a bodge, and using crimped butt connections on any 2.5mm solid core connections, though recognised in your holy bible, are also a bodge too. So the billions of these connections all over the UK are all bodge jobs too!! Some of us, probably most of us ''know'' when a connection is sound... Your living in cloud cuckoo land!!

Totally agree Eng and solid cable is crap.
Wago's are as permanent as a crimp, provided the you havnt got a duff one, and a damn sight easier to use. At first I was very sceptical about them but now use them all the time with a Line JB.
Being a bit lazy and not read through the the full thread, so call me a pillock if I'm out of context :redface:

Don't tell me you agree with the so called sparks who put straight through crimps in cables and hide the cock-up in the conduit or trunkin, push connectors, that's what's the trade is coming to lol and yes it is a bodge who the hell did some of the people on her train with were they sparkes?, as I've said before where they're twin and earth world would you need to use crimps on solid core 1.5mm or 2.5mm or 1.0mm come to that, if you need an eyelet for gods sake shape the solid core with long nose pliers and use brass washers or is that too much trouble and as for straight through crimps don't bodge for the sake of a correct termination point. Main or bonding has been mentioned for crimps but wait a min aren't they stranded cores, yet to use 10mm or 16mm solid earth cable??? If I'm asked on site for straight through crimps my first question is why!!!! what the ufck do you need them for!!!! They would be kicked off construction sites if they used the termination methods you seem keen on, push conectors, crimps on solid cores how much more ..... !!!!now as I've said you should not use them end of story. I love thread

Popcorn ready.

ANY connection HAS to be inside an ENCLOSURE, such as a CU, NOT trunking or conduit.
On a new installation butt crimps shouldnt even be on site, like you state.
The rest however is the biggest load of old fashion'd tosh I've ever heard. Push fit wago connectors are deemed to be maintenance free, unlike the precious screwed terminal that can be overtightened and damage the cable or work loose.
A good sparks will know if a connection is sound, as Eng stated, and to dismiss new ideas/methods is just beyond belief.
Its horses for courses and it sounds as if you work mainly in the commercial/industrial world.

.... I think your the end of the story!! .....As stated earlier, your living in Cloud Cuckoo Land, Stick to your connector strips, and you'll be fine!!

Sorry man from China I don't think you understand good practice within the UK, any form of connectors , screwed terminals or whatever are frowned upon, there are a few situations where they are acceptable such as a wall light etc But on a house rewire or a new install why the hell would you use connectors unless you are doing a bodge job, after all it's only a bit of T+E he wants to extend, I've already explained the correct method. This is in a domestic situation, you'll be telling me next they're going to use a tape joint or better still screwits, so go get some experience then make a comment. Sometimes I can't belive what I'm reading on this forum, some of you won't be told.
.... I think your the end of the story!! .....As stated earlier, your living in Cloud Cuckoo Land, Stick to your connector strips, and you'll be fine!!

not materails?, but say live in no.1, then connects nuetral in busbar no,6 them type of things
Err, no. If line is in MCB 1 then the corresponding neutral(s) and cpc(s) go in terminal number one on their respective bars. It makes life much easier and could help someone following you.

Sorry man from China I don't think you understand good practice within the UK, any form of connectors , screwed terminals or whatever are frowned upon, there are a few situations where they are acceptable such as a wall light etc But on a house rewire or a new install why the hell would you use connectors unless you are doing a bodge job, after all it's only a bit of T+E he wants to extend, I've already explained the correct method. This is in a domestic situation, you'll be telling me next they're going to use a tape joint or better still screwits, so go get some experience then make a comment. Sometimes I can't belive what I'm reading on this forum, some of you won't be told.

Not by you, you my friend are the very Last person to take advice from. ....As for experience, haha, ....i've probably forgotten more than you have ever known. Take yourself off the the Screwfix forum, you'll stand a far better chance to impress, than here!!

2nd carton of popcorn started.

Now now don't get personal, you have been doing a crap job for years don't take it out on me, just say the words "I stand corrected" and we'll say no more about crimps lol
Not by you, you my friend are the very Last person to take advice from. ....As for experience, haha, ....i've probably forgotten more than you have ever known. Take yourself off the the Screwfix forum, you'll stand a far better chance to impress, than here!!

Darkwood, ...I wonder if all the criteria you have put forward against crimping solid core conductors can be put forward against the use of solid core cables, for screwed connections within accessory wall plates and the like?? lol!!

Now that WOULD be something, if we could get away from solid core cables as a whole in favour of the much more efficient and workable stranded conductors!! lol!!

Its cheaper to have screw terminals and cheaper to produce solid drawn as opposed to stranded, i agree fully that screw terminals have many issues and as long as they are accepted they will rule the roost as termination method on accessories... im not the best fan of them but in most cases you dont have the choice but to use them, some things aint gonna change any time soon, but i would say connectors should be regulated better as alot of cheap crap out there that premotes poor termination due to design flaws.

Its cheaper to have screw terminals and cheaper to produce solid drawn as opposed to stranded, i agree fully that screw terminals have many issues and as long as they are accepted they will rule the roost as termination method on accessories... im not the best fan of them but in most cases you dont have the choice but to use them, some things aint gonna change any time soon, but i would say connectors should be regulated better as alot of cheap crap out there that premotes poor termination due to design flaws.

See, we do agree most of the time...lol!!

KAS1, your right you never who your talking to:wink5:.
A better man than me to question Engy's knowledge or quals, crack on fella. This could be interesting.
Pass the 'corn Sparty........................

Is there actually anything in the regs that says you can't solder? I soldered my kitchen ring in as the missus decided she wanted a socket location moved and I saw it as the only option.

Yes is the answer section 526
Is there actually anything in the regs that says you can't solder? I soldered my kitchen ring in as the missus decided she wanted a socket location moved and I saw it as the only option.

- - - Updated - - -

your case sounds good tho

Regs regarding solder joints section 526... (where a soldered connection is used the design shall take account of creep, mechanical stress and temp' rise under fault conditions)

To note! you will have to have indepth knowledge of the solder characteristics you use and understand what the expected temp' rise would be under a fault condition and that this wont effect the soldered joint as the other points above, i assume this is solid core... if stranded or fine wire then further regs cover this 526.8

If you have buried this joint i assume the approriate insulation heat shrink was used over the joint and an appropriate environmental heat shrink sleeve over the whole joint with moisture barrier included.

Regs regarding solder joints section 526... (where a soldered connection is used the design shall take account of creep, mechanical stress and temp' rise under fault conditions)

To note! you will have to have indepth knowledge of the solder characteristics you use and understand what the expected temp' rise would be under a fault condition and that this wont effect the soldered joint as the other points above, i assume this is solid core... if stranded or fine wire then further regs cover this 526.8

If you have buried this joint i assume the approriate insulation heat shrink was used over the joint and an appropriate environmental heat shrink sleeve over the whole joint with moisture barrier included.

that isn't really any different to any other joint though is it? it hardly says don't use one, just use it sensibly.......

Sorry you only said solder, now you say solder conductors together which is it you know you have to be word perfect on here, I did say your case sounds good indicating it was fine on the old T&E stuff lol
Sorry? 526 says you cannot solder conductors together? which bit is that then?

the only restrictions on soldering I can see relate to multiwire, fine and very fine wire conductors.............

that isn't really any different to any other joint though is it? it hardly says don't use one, just use it sensibly.......
Never said it dosn't allow its use just hi-lighting the areas that would effect him, i do control systems for machinery and any failures of joints etc can be costly so im used to ensuring correct solder is used etc or any joints of any methods of connection is reliable, ive seen many failures in past from those alledged to be qualified not really thinking about the job in hand, ive seen solder joints fail just because the incorrect solder was used ... you be supprised how many ppl use plumbers solder and expect it to be ok but as long as hes used a recognised Electrical solder for LV joints hell be fine.

Sorry you only said solder, now you say solder conductors together which is it you know you have to be word perfect on here, I did say your case sounds good indicating it was fine on the old T&E stuff lol

Ah right, I wondered what the "your case sounds good" bit meant. Didn't realise this was an argument for the sake of arguing. Hang on, I need a couple of beers before I come back :lol:

Never said it dosn't allow its use just hi-lighting the areas that would effect him, i do control systems for machinery and any failures of joints etc can be costly so im used to ensuring correct solder is used etc or any joints of any methods of connection is reliable, ive seen many failures in past from those alledged to be qualified not really thinking about the job in hand, ive seen solder joints fail just because the incorrect solder was used ... you be supprised how many ppl use plumbers solder and expect it to be ok but as long as hes used a recognised Electrical solder for LV joints hell be fine.

can't argue with that but that definitely fits in my "use it sensibly" category :lol:

EDIT: which btw is my take on crimping.............

Reply to Crimps in consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net