Discuss Emergency Lighting - legal requirement. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

I'm quoting to rewire communal lighting in 2 blocks of flats. The blocks are 3 story's high and house 7 apartments per block.

After discussions with the board members I mentioned they may require emergency lighting. To which they did not want. Are they a legal requirement in a residential block of flats?

The answer is yes, the have a duty of care to residents, and requirement comes under current Building Regulations, which can be enforced by local Authorities. I can`t understand why they don`t want to install em lighting, whist you are rewiring the main lighting in the first place.

The answer is yes, the have a duty of care to residents, and requirement comes under current Building Regulations, which can be enforced by local Authorities. I can`t understand why they don`t want to install em lighting, whist you are rewiring the main lighting in the first place.
And the fire brigade would most likely have something to say about it as well,I believe emergency lighting is on their remit when they do inspections.

I actually think it should be mandatory to have an emergency light at the top of the stairs on all new builds myself. Crabtree used to do one which sat behind a ceiling rose, think about it, powercut to the home, old lady trying to get down the stairs after popping to the loo, an emergency light would be a good idea in the home IMO, we have DDA regs for disabled people with the regulation heights of sockets and switches etc, why not an emergency light at the top of the stairs as mandatory?

I actually think it should be mandatory to have an emergency light at the top of the stairs on all new builds myself. Crabtree used to do one which sat behind a ceiling rose, think about it, powercut to the home, old lady trying to get down the stairs after popping to the loo, an emergency light would be a good idea in the home IMO, we have DDA regs for disabled people with the regulation heights of sockets and switches etc, why not an emergency light at the top of the stairs as mandatory?
I fitted them all over our council house when we moved in,the nosey neighbour came round in a power cut and saw them,the following day she rang the housing to complain as THEY hand,t fitted them in her house.lmfao when I heard about it

A small recessed non maintained 3 watt LED cree at the top of the stairs would be more than adequate, no idea why the powers that be haven't seen sense and made it mandatory yet, I expect they will eventually lol.

Yep, i've got one also in the cupboard under the stairs with the db in it.
Not yet been used in anger.

I liked the ones I saw in Las Americas fitted in the riser of every second step. Was in a pub, stairs going to the basement toilets.

Boydy

Yep, i've got one also in the cupboard under the stairs with the db in it.
Not yet been used in anger.

I liked the ones I saw in Las Americas fitted in the riser of every second step. Was in a pub, stairs going to the basement toilets

Boydy
when I worked on a liner one time they had green lights all down the stairs and leading to the exits,a bit like rope lights,on top of the skirtings

Reply to Emergency Lighting - legal requirement. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net