Currently reading:
Grommets or conduit in metal back boxes?

Discuss Grommets or conduit in metal back boxes? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've seen a few comments on failed installs because of lack of grommets - although apparently not a specific requirement as such.

Is oval conduit plastered into chase and fed a little into the back box OK or does one HAVE to cut it just short of the the box and fit a grommet?

Granted it's a sharp edge but where the cable comes in at the top of the conduit is the same.

Thanks

Still not sure how I missed it but on a Part P assessment about 3 years ago the assessor went to a socket and found there was no grommit on the entry, he checked a few others to be sure it wasn't a bad habit I had got in to :) and then gave me a non compliance which I had to rectify, wouldn't let me do it there and then either, had to fix at a later date and send photo's.

This answer i was given was by ELECSA on my assesment 3weeks ago (ie no grommits needed), O Yer ! i fitted the grommits B4 assesment LOL

This answer i was given was by ELECSA on my assesment 3weeks ago (ie no grommits needed), O Yer ! i fitted the grommits B4 assesment LOL

I'm struggling to think of one type of installation where a metal knockout box designed for domestic installations can be used without a rubber grommet with single pvc cables going into it, if using single pvc cables then conduit would be used to connect to the box and therefore the cables would be protected from the metal hole by a coupler, interested to hear where a single cable entering a metal box could be used without any protection??

Niceic inspectors jump up and down about grommets not being used.
i always use them, good practice and all that, but if you take the conduit into the box I can't see a problem apart from the half wit plasterer pulling the conduit out

I'm struggling to think of one type of installation where a metal knockout box designed for domestic installations can be used without a rubber grommet with single pvc cables going into it, if using single pvc cables then conduit would be used to connect to the box and therefore the cables would be protected from the metal hole by a coupler, interested to hear where a single cable entering a metal box could be used without any protection??

Thats due to you replying to a completly different answer

- - - Updated - - -

not always

Thats due to you replying to a completly different answer

- - - Updated - - -

not always

Just out of curiosity what question was MDJ answering then if it wasn't the one you posed, I've re-read the thread and it all flows through to the same thing, cables entering a box either via a grommit as has been said or your way which says otherwise??

Dependant with whom you are reg'd with im sure your answer will be differant ,

If you don't use em the part p police will take you away , NOT ! lol.

None of the scams will recommend running single cables without protection into metal knockout boxes direct without any protection, it just cannot happen, against all regs, single cables are usually run in plastic or metal conduit, sometimes if they are double insulated they can be run otherwise but protection into a metal enclosure would be expected by any professional.

Just out of curiosity what question was MDJ answering then if it wasn't the one you posed, I've re-read the thread and it all flows through to the same thing, cables entering a box either via a grommit as has been said or your way which says otherwise??

As long as the wire has its double insulation intact & going into the metal back box no grommits are needed .

Singles (which dont have double insulation ) then grommits or other methods may be used .

As long as the wire has its double insulation intact & going into the metal back box no grommits are needed .
And this is what your Elecsa assessor said to you? Because mine gave me a non-compliance and said I need to rectify before passing.

Singles (which dont have double insulation ) then grommits or other methods may be used .
I beleive MDJ was asking for an example when you would use singles within a domestic installation not installed within conduit and just entering a metal box without a metal bush etc? MDJ can correct me if I'm wrong :)

Reply to Grommets or conduit in metal back boxes? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back