Currently reading:
Guild of PAT Testers

Discuss Guild of PAT Testers in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mint!!!!

unfortunately your application to join the Guild of master electrical installers (Durham Branch) was unsuccessful as you never had a part p certificate and could not produce the desired Train for Trade skills 15k basic electrical training reciept!

Mint!!!!

unfortunately your application to join the Guild of master electrical installers (Durham Branch) was unsuccessful as you never had a part p certificate and could not produce the desired Train for Trade skills 15k basic electrical training reciept!

Who me?????

I woz told I'd be able to join and get a job that paid 55k +

no mate!! wated your time!! 4 years could have been spent in the pub!!

not going to go any further on this as i aint a time served spark so cant comment on it as it would be unfair!
my engineering apprentiship took me 6 months 5 day a week in the classroom and 1 year in the field (23H a day when deployed some times)

where did the guild of PAT tester go...!!!

never seen as much crap in my life!!! did a google search for pat testing and got nothing on his site!! lol obviously spent loads getting it ranked high!! hahahahaa!!!!

Hi If you want to check out the Guild of PAT Testers, you need to go to patguild dot com there is no point searching on google as it doesn't come up - not even sure if it's registered. It doesn't have very good SEO so I'm not suprised it doesn't get found. Which is unusual I would have thought for such a 'regulatory body'.

There you can have a look around the site and see what you think, maybe comment on their 'code of practice' which to me looks like some very basic guidelines for carrying out pat testing rather than COP of a group, plus I'd say the writers own opinion on certain matters.

But lads come on, you get a free pen once memberships has been approved, approval time may vary due to waiting lispssss LOL.
I wonder if they have any form of insurance cover.
Banjo Insurance Co, run by Eddy Bananas.
underwritten by Tom --- & Pooh Bear, TP protection.

Guild implies an association of trade profesionals who have served a thorough training and achieved a high standard in some or other field, given that the majority of pat testers trading today were unemployed people who used the "back to work grant" to buy a PAT tester and a two day training course the formation of a guild seems laughable. Pat testing is an unnesasary tax on business, and a way of increasing employment by first passing a law to require something to be tested, and then training testers! From the health and safety point of view it has made no difference to the already very low accident figures.There will of course be a charge for joining this "guild" Has no one noticed that there is more money in "training" and "trade Associations" (now compulsory membership) than there is in actually trading as an installer or maintainer of equipment. Reintroduction of the "closed shop"! Rant over.

The history of the proper guild system is quite interesting
Guilds were your original controlling/Regulating bodies for most trades their Legal status was usually by royal ascent or royal charter, they were a cross between a secret society and a trade controlling body, Trade secrets were kept secret. They generally had 3 levels, Apprentice, Craftsman and master craftsman. Apprentices were apprenticed to a master craftsman for a set period at which they would be given all the sh!t jobs and only taught the basics of the trade until the master was sure they could be trusted with trade secrets. As an apprentice they were tied to one master and there were serious consequences for disobeying a master and if they ran away they could be imprisoned.
Upon completion of there Apprenticeship if they came up to scratch the guild they were affiliated with confirmed there status as Craftsman, they could then undertake work for themselves but could not take on apprentices, apprentices could only be taken on by a master craftsman.
For a Craftsman to become a Master craftsman he would become what was called a Journeyman he would undertake work for other masters in other areas and after a period of time as a Journeyman if his work was up to the standard the master craftsmen of his guild would confirm him as a Master craftsman and he could then take on his own apprentices.
As a note the Guild halls were originally meeting places of the guilds

This guild system died with the coming of capitalism and free trade as it was seen as restrictive to free trade.

An excellent description of what the guilds were all about, which was to maintain excellence in a trade or profession by ensuring the training was thorough (seven years for most before they became a journeyman, and then only admitted as a master craftsman after they proved their ability) today we get a couple of days training, multiple choice exams, and the opportunity to retake as many times as neccasry, and even be coached through! I was apprentice trained in the sixties and early seventies for 5 years, and also had three years at technical college in order to get a City and Guilds national diploma in electrical engineering. NVQ? Not Very Qualified!!

But lads come on, you get a free pen once memberships has been approved, approval time may vary due to waiting lispssss LOL.
I wonder if they have any form of insurance cover.
Banjo Insurance Co, run by Eddy Bananas.
underwritten by Tom --- & Pooh Bear, TP protection.

A free pen? Oh, why didn't you say, I'm disappointed now, if I'd known, that would have been worth it ;-)

Reply to Guild of PAT Testers in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back