Currently reading:
Has the 'Respected Member' tag had its day?

Discuss Has the 'Respected Member' tag had its day? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Reaction score
Surely every member is respected.

It sounds ever so cliquey.

I think in the current times when everybody should be totally equal, denoting who's 'respected' it a bit cheeky.

It used to be called "Elite Member" - Christ, imagine if we had that these days?!?!?!
On TilersForums.com it's now 'Trusted Advisor' but even then the advice changes and it's marking old now inaccurate posts as if the post should be trusted. And it can cause a bit of a shitstorm every now and again because some poor sod has tiled their bathroom the old way and their tiles are falling off.

I've put a poll up to get a feel for it. But it's not to say if either outcome is clear - that we will go for it.

It's up for discussion.

Please be professional with your replies. That said we wont be warning anybody for speaking out. This is my own thread and my chin can take it. :)

But then that enforces herd like mentality, with people afraid to go against the grain.

I remember different members would "dumb" anything posted by someone they didn't like.

I totally see where you are coming from. however, if its anonymous votes then you cant have that.
people have to place there vote blind.

See - I think those who are saying electrical trainee, and whatnot are the ones that need to move on. We did that in the naughties. It's 9 frigging years latter and we still haven't accepted that it's a hard trade to get into as an existing skilled worker. So there are going to be half a dozen ways into it.

Those with the mentor tag that aren't being professional on here need to lose that too perhaps?

Whichever term you use for the people doing short courses they aren't unique to this forum, they are in common use amongst all of us in the trade in real life too.

The trade isn't hard to get in to at all, especially as an existing skilled worker.

It's at 50/50 now....
The thing is, how are do you take this 'all equal' stuff?
If the banners are removed then technically so should the new feature of the flags. We are all equal so why should it matter where you post from...

No, I don't think a star system would work.

If I were to get into a dispute with you on some innocuous non electrical thread, such as Brexit or whatever. You could follow me around the forum voting me down.

It would also encourage certain cliques to boost each others posts in order to gain a higher star status.

Or am I just too Machiavellian?

View attachment 51029
The thing is its just an internet forum, its not going to affect my life if someone holds a grudge against me on this forum or if I do or don't receive any stars. The forum is here for anyone interested in electrics, the question is (in my opinion) is it a good idea if there is some sort of indication for new members who are seeking advice showing that the likely quality of that advice given is going to be sound. Similar if you book a hotel and it is 5 star you expect a certain level of quality. Nothing is fool proof, we only have to look at the government!

It's at 50/50 now....
The thing is, how are do you take this 'all equal' stuff?
If the banners are removed then technically so should the new feature of the flags. We are all equal so why should it matter where you post from...
I don't take much notice of the banners and I don't particularly take it that serious either when I do. I prefer things to stay a bit of fun, this forum is a place I visit to relax and enjoy a chat with fellow tradespeople. I appreciate that it is also a place where folk may visit to seek advice. This is when it does get a little more serious, since that advice does have the potential to affect someone's life. The difficulty is that to police the advice given is very difficult, especially on a public forum. Policing posts is a tough job for the moderators, one I do not envy.
I have witnessed, on some forums, title banners giving people a false sense of authority. It can also create cliques where you end up with a bunch of vigilante judges who gang up on other members.
If Admin feel that we need to offer the new members a sense of security I can understand this. I (personal opinion) don't feel that title banners are the way forward to achieve this.

I haven't voted, because the option I prefer is not available - Not bothered either way. :p

I was curious about the vote so I voted to see the values up to now.

If the forum is to be all equal then the simple thing is to scrap off all the info at the right of the posts, like profile pics, Messages numbers, location..... Job done. Just keep the name.

What does Messages numbers mean if we are all equal?

Surely every member is respected.

It sounds ever so cliquey.

I think in the current times when everybody should be totally equal, denoting who's 'respected' it a bit cheeky.

Not every member is respected, there are some members I have no respect for at all.

Why 'should' everybody be totally equal when they clearly are not equal? We are all individual people and to suggest that we must all be totally equal is just insulting to the vast majority.
If you want total equality then there should be no trainees, moderators, administrators etc etc, those titles clearly aren't equal.
For total equality you have to make the first year apprentice totally equal to the retired career electrician.

Not every member is respected, there are some members I have no respect for at all.

Why 'should' everybody be totally equal when they clearly are not equal? We are all individual people and to suggest that we must all be totally equal is just insulting to the vast majority.
If you want total equality then there should be no trainees, moderators, administrators etc etc, those titles clearly aren't equal.
For total equality you have to make the first year apprentice totally equal to the retired career electrician.

Very good point.
This would also get rid of the DIY section, as we are all equals. They can post in the general electrical section.

Reply to Has the 'Respected Member' tag had its day? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock