Currently reading:
How to authenticate if an electrical installation certificate is genuine

Discuss How to authenticate if an electrical installation certificate is genuine in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

OldManJohn

Hi
Im after some advice on protocol and where I stand regarding a single signature electrical installation certificate.

I wont bore you with a long winded story of events, but basically we had some renovation work on the downstairs of our house carried out by a local builder who was recommended to us. The job basically involved virtually re-wiring the majority of the downstairs to our property including a new fuse box.
The work was carried out by two guys who worked with the builder who we assumed were fully qualified.
We had numerous issues with certain lights and switches along the way, plus other plumbing issues and totally lost all confidence in them the further the job went. We had numerous issues with damage to doors and flooring etc etc. One of the problems we had was neither of the two guys who carried out the electrical work wanted to put their name to any sign off electrical certification thus basically high lighting to us that they were not fully qualified as electricians.
On the final day of the work being completed the main builder told us that he would have to send off for the certificate and that it could take up to three weeks to come through to us?
Alarm bells were ringing now, a. why wouldnt neither of the guys sign it off?
b. who has been and checked all the wiring etc as they hadnt told us of anyone else coming to do this, and I was around for a lot of the time as I work shift hours?
c. Should any type of certificate take this long to come through and what type should it be and what do they look like?
d. We emailed the builder 2 nights ago asking about the outstanding certificate which is now 8 WEEKS since he finished the rest of the job and nothing has turned up (a final payment is still outstanding but he has not even asked for this?)
e. Tonight I have an envelope discretely put through my letterbox without the courtesy to knock with 4 sheets of A4 paper in all filled in by someone we dont know has been here, an incorrect date to it when the supposed sign off was carried out, I was here then and it was not on that day!? The certificate was printed then filled in throughout looking quite legitimate and with the chaps registration number on it. But why does it all of a sudden arrive once Id contacted him about it 8 weeks after the job finished??

Could someone tell me what the protocol is and how I can check if this is legitimate because I know no one has been here to check the wiring.
I've also read online that no third partys not involved in the work from the outset can 'sign off' electrical work to this degree.

Any advice much appreciated
Thanks John

Yes we had a meeting with him about the schedule/deadlines etc so the project was discussed in detail but we were told building regs etc etc werent needed as it wasnt a new build or extension it was just knocking some internal walls down and moving some sockets etc. We didnt realise we needed a new fuse box until the first fix was underway and two cookers and an electric hob (all extras from what we had previously) were being wired for and then we were told we'd need a bigger fuse box so we were not aware anyone else needed to be involved.
hmm....sounds like you were lied to here then....
a C/U change is notifyable work for a start....as is the addition of new circuits....and as far as internal walls are concerned...well were they supporting...or not?..but that a different matter...

Whats an ECR? the job is now complete and looks great but these guys made it hard work.
sorry about the trade terms John...
an EICR is whats called an ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CONDITION REPORT...its what we use to verify that an in service electrical installation is still good for continued service....
its just that now the work has been carried out by these guys you employed...an electrician coming in to inspect and test this in order to issue a cert can only treat it as an existing install....good at the time he inspected and tested it....
you would get a report...coupled with a schedule of inspections and a schedule of tests..
their quite comprehensive....the LABC may accept this....
i dont doubt an insurance company would as there used to demonstrate to third parties that the install is safe for continued service...
anyway, see what comes of it all...

sorry about the trade terms John...
an EICR is whats called an ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CONDITION REPORT...its what we use to verify that an in service electrical installation is still good for continued service....
its just that now the work has been carried out by these guys you employed...an electrician coming in to inspect and test this in order to issue a cert can only treat it as an existing install....good at the time he inspected and tested it....
you would get a report...coupled with a schedule of inspections and a schedule of tests..
their quite comprehensive....the LABC may accept this....
i dont doubt an insurance company would as there used to demonstrate to third parties that the install is safe for continued service...
anyway, see what comes of it all...
Cheers for your help and advice, much appreciated.
John

Reply to How to authenticate if an electrical installation certificate is genuine in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back