Discuss Should a completion certificate always be given for works carried out please? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I asked if they got many back as faulty, no they said, I'm probably the only one that tests RCD's then on boards like that.
Or, the two faulty ones you experienced came from the same batch…. The majority could be 99% perfect.

Any manufacturer could have a dodgy batch.

You can’t say other electricians don’t do tests just because of that

I remember several years ago, one particular size of one particular brand of mcb had a callback, and I had to check every static caravan we had sold in the previous 2 years, count them up, order replacements from each caravan manufacturer that used that make of mcb, swap them out and send the recalled ones back.

From a picture of the outside, I make these assumptions. (they may not be correct)

If it looks like "poo" from the outside, it is probably worse on the inside.
Single insulated cables outside the board are a big red flag to me.

Keep pushing the NICEIC for a resolution, I would be ashamed of myself even if I did that as a temporary lash up to get something up and running in the short term.

First of all the manufacturer of the dis board should not even come into this conversation. There is nothing wrong with the manufacturer, but as previously mentioned it’s the installer. The copex beggars belief and shows real initiative.. but it’s woeful. It looks harder to come up with that idea than infact, do it properly. As previously said, an eicr is usually carried out before the board is replaced to highlight any problems and they should be remedied prior to replacing. I wonder why he recommends a further eicr in 2 years?? I think the sticker reads that anyway? But this is the recommendation of the electrician based on the type and use of the installation as well as other factors. There are ways around your issues as people have mentioned. Get a registered electrician to carry out an eicr and remedy the problems. Ok… you may have to pay extra and you may say that the bodge job should be remedied by the cowboy that did it… but.. why would you want them back? Contacting the niceic is an option but, they will tell you to contact the electrician first and give them the opportunity to remedy the work. Let’s be honest…. Do they really care…they get the registration payment from said electrician annually so probably won’t care. Things like this happen all the time.. the amount of phone calls I get when customers say they have had an extension or a mains change and require it signing off and the sparky has done one is unreal. Thankfully most building control authorities are aware of this and will accept an eicr. As previously said.. an electrician will not sign off anyone else’s work… or I certainly wouldn’t. Hope you get sorted.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all so so much for your thoughts and advice! I met with a really helpful NAPIT registered Electrician today, honestly his approach was almost like night and day in comparison. He visited both my mum's home and mine today:

At my mum's: He tested the junction box, he found the earth issue and discover that there were two spurs running off the cooker cable (sorry if I am saying thing incorrectly). He opened up the wooden flooring on the floor above to figure out how to rewire and bring a further cable down to make things safe and came up with a plan to remove all the trunking. Add new and chase new sockets and two light switches. He resolved the cable issue in the loft after testing and coupling them up differently.

At my home: He checked every single socket, changed out three faulty sockets, resolved the issue with the oven from this, narrowed the ring issue down to a cable under the floorboards in the living room.

I am a bit in awe of today.

He will be doing the works at my mum's home later this week.

He mentioned one thing that I hoped I could ask some advice on please. He had a look at the consumer unit that was installed at my home and explained that in the picture attached:

1. The cable thicknesses are incorrect as they are too small
2. The trunking has not been installed correctly

We agreed that he would resolve the fault with the ring continuity and that I would then request the final certificate from the previous electrician and he will provide me with a certificate for the works he has done.

I wanted to ask your thoughts on 1 and 2 in the image and if this is something that I should ask the first Electrician to make right before providing the consumer unit certificate they installed or if it would be okay to ask this Electrician. Or can the cable thicknesses stay as it is?

Thank you all so much for your time and advice, many many thanks, Vanessa

Attachments

• IMG_1729.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 20
Glad you are getting somewhere. You don't want the first guy back.

We agreed that he would resolve the fault with the ring continuity and that I would then request the final certificate from the previous electrician and he will provide me with a certificate for the works he has done.

I wanted to ask your thoughts on 1 and 2 in the image and if this is something that I should ask the first Electrician to make right before providing the consumer unit certificate they installed or if it would be okay to ask this Electrician. Or can the cable thicknesses stay as it is?

1 - difficult to say, depends on a few factors like main fuse size and earthing type, but based on what you've said I'd be inclined to trust him to sort out anything he reckons needs doing. It doesn't look to be a big job to fit a new tail set. (I'm hopeless at judging cable sizes from photo's, someone else might be able to be more specific)

2 - He's definitely right, this is what a few of us were remarking on earlier in the thread. Depending on where that is going and what it's doing there are likely several better ways of installing that, probably without the flexible conduit at all.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all so so much for your thoughts and advice! I met with a really helpful NAPIT registered Electrician today, honestly his approach was almost like night and day in comparison. He visited both my mum's home and mine today:

At my mum's: He tested the junction box, he found the earth issue and discover that there were two spurs running off the cooker cable (sorry if I am saying thing incorrectly). He opened up the wooden flooring on the floor above to figure out how to rewire and bring a further cable down to make things safe and came up with a plan to remove all the trunking. Add new and chase new sockets and two light switches. He resolved the cable issue in the loft after testing and coupling them up differently.

At my home: He checked every single socket, changed out three faulty sockets, resolved the issue with the oven from this, narrowed the ring issue down to a cable under the floorboards in the living room.

I am a bit in awe of today.

He will be doing the works at my mum's home later this week.

He mentioned one thing that I hoped I could ask some advice on please. He had a look at the consumer unit that was installed at my home and explained that in the picture attached:

Thank you all so much for your time and advice, many many thanks, Vanessa
It's good to see a bit of positive news.
It seems you have someone who knows what they're doing involved.
Regarding I and 2 in the image, go with the advice of your electrician on site....he's seen things first hand.
Don't presume all NICEIC registered are bad and NAPIT the opposite. Both are money making organisations with a purpose to serve. Although standards have declined, in general, it seems you picked a bad un, initially.
Was it a cheap installation?
Hope for a satisfactory conclusion.

PS. That pvc conduit is a true shocker.......both ends.
Wiska box and 2 glands or white pvc conduit, easy to sort.
Judging cable size from photos is pure guesswork.

Last edited:
I'd be looking at where the conduit goes. It might be to a socket underneath, in which case a new length of cable all the way to the CU, entering behind it might be the best option. But from the sounds of it the latest guy knows his stuff and I would guess he'll assess things and give some options.

Reply to Should a completion certificate always be given for works carried out please? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net