Search the forum,

Discuss I tabbed my regs book for my exam today in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I found tabs for the start of each 'part' and a couple of other key points useful, so you can get there really quickly. You can get really bogged down using the index.
More important is to get your head around the overall structure of the book, and what is covered in each part . You should be able to pick out some key words in the question and they will direct your thoughts to the correct section. And then the Part contents is a useful second place to look.
Just looking up RCD's in the main index for eg will probably prove to be a very long way round finding what you want.

Oh and I second what Zerax said, go straight through the exam , I answered all the questions without the book, any that I wasn't 100% I clicked the flag. That way, I at least had an answer down for everything. Then go back through looking up all that you have flagged. And yes when I did it, it was in order of the book, and you knew how many questions were from each part. Make a note of that before hand and you'll have narrowed down where you need to look for each question to a handful of pages. Simple!

Best way to speed around the regs book is often overlooked - the frankly marvelous tables of figures and table of tables (pg518-522).

still got my slide rule somewhwere. fabe castell, with useful HP-kW cursor marks.

No this was a sophisticated exam, the previous exams where on stone tablets though.
that must ave been the 1st edition.. 10 commandments.

1. thou shalt not worship any other publication before me ( except GN3).
2. thou shalt not cause electrocution of thy neighbour.
3.thou shalt no covet thy neighbour's eleccy. nor his wife. nor his cattle earth mat.
4.thou shalt not steal from thine supplier.
thinks of more after beer.

when i did 17th, no tabs or notes. went through all questions and answered those i could be sure of without opening the book. that was about 35 -40 out of 60. others flagged. then the easier ones with reference to regs.another 10 or so. then the harder ones where i had to look more fully. that left about 5 unanswered. 2 sorted, 3 guessed. . exam started 6.00. finished for 7.00, just as pub opened. result 94%. ( that's the exam, not the abv of the refreshment).

I won't type out the exact same technique that loads above have mentioned but it works.
Did mine a couple of weeks back. I was left with an hour left and about 70% answered. Anything taking time I moved on, and eventually I had two left. Finally found one of them and guessed the other.
I just used different coloured highlighters on the edge of pages, the main use was quickly getting to the special locations section and the appendices.
All the best with it!

when i did 17th, no tabs or notes. went through all questions and answered those i could be sure of without opening the book. that was about 35 -40 out of 60. others flagged. then the easier ones with reference to regs.another 10 or so. then the harder ones where i had to look more fully. that left about 5 unanswered. 2 sorted, 3 guessed. . exam started 6.00. finished for 7.00, just as pub opened. result 94%. ( that's the exam, not the abv of the refreshment).

Exactly the same result as I got on the 17th ! You can't be as daft as they say Tel.?

When I was in business and employed graduates the question always came up of witch was quicker, a calculator or a slide rule, slide rule always was quicker, because the trig functions are on the back under the fixed cursor, so no putting into memory and recalling to complete an equation, what was being worked out was always set by me using trig functions to my advantage though.

As others have said, you may not be allowed to tab it. I have my 18th in few days and have been told I am not allowed to have any writing in it. ALL my regs books are absolutely covered in notes!?

Reply to I tabbed my regs book for my exam today in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock