Discuss I tabbed my regs book for my exam today in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
But one has fallen out. I saw it in my Van this morning just sitting there on the floor. I'm at work all day and then I'll be going tonsit it so I'm not gonna have a chance to go through the regs book to 're assign this bloody tab

If i show you the tab I don't suppose anyone would no what page it's supposed to be stuck to do they.

Go on then show the tab?

20210316_070524.jpg

Hi,
You have probably wanted that tab to go on page 64 of the regs book, which is the Zs values for RCD's. I know my learners are not too keen on calculations, but if you understand how those values were derived then you would not need the table or the tab. Transposing the formula on the same page from 411.5.3 divide 50 by the operating current in amps for the RCD or the RCD part of an RCBO and you will have the Zs value in that table.
Example1 50/30mA= 50/0.03=1667 ohms
Example2 50/100mA=50/.1 = 500 ohms
God luck with the exam

I personally would only tab things that you can't find in the index or contents pages. Otherwise, as someone said above, your book will have nearly as many tabs as pages.

Thank you @westward10 and @jc_150 for your help there and cheers to everyone else for getting involved. I have to admit you've all been very helpfull I'm on the trainee forum but this forum is much better for a quick answer so cheers guys for being so helpfull towards me.

Ps. Just for entertainment purposes I'll get a pic of my tabbed bs7671, gn3 and osg. I haven't gone crazy but there is a few in each.

So glad it's open book I'm surprised it wasn't back in the day because surely if your out on site and have only recently just acquired your 2391 you not gonna sit there and guess your gonna whip out your books just to confirm or check some thing.

After a year or 2 I expect I'll have memorized every thing to the T but I'll would still have no shame in pulling out my books although I can understand how this may make you look incompetent to a client/collegue but I'd rather be safe then sorry at the end of the day

Thank you @westward10 and @jc_150 for your help there and cheers to everyone else for getting involved. I have to admit you've all been very helpfull I'm on the trainee forum but this forum is much better for a quick answer so cheers guys for being so helpfull towards me.

Ps. Just for entertainment purposes I'll get a pic of my tabbed bs7671, gn3 and osg. I haven't gone crazy but there is a few in each.

So glad it's open book I'm surprised it wasn't back in the day because surely if your out on site and have only recently just acquired your 2391 you not gonna sit there and guess your gonna whip out your books just to confirm or check some thing.

After a year or 2 I expect I'll have memorized every thing to the T but I'll would still have no shame in pulling out my books although I can understand how this may make you look incompetent to a client/collegue but I'd rather be safe then sorry at the end of the day

Don't worry about it, you'll never remember everything in the regs. But you will learn the key points, and have the ability to find the things you need. Especially when something unusual crops up.

I guarantee nobody has memorized the section on access gangways! Well, maybe Westy has ?

On my 18th the questions mostly followed the book order so early questions on part one and two near the en of the exam you would expect section 7 , i used highlighter pens on the contents and on the edge of the BBB pages for quick reference .

That could be handy information in case I start flapping. I doubt I'll flap as I'm not putting pressure on myself but if I do that will settle me and give me a logical place to head from the previous question

Thanks a million chaps

You'll be fine. There's loads of time. Go though and do the easy ones first, flag any that you aren't certain about. Then go through the flagged ones and spend more time on them.

Don't forget to make sure you answer every question, even if its guess. Don't leave any blank.

The best method is to go through the questions and hit the easy ones first... I don't know how well you know the material, but I would expect you'd know at least half the answers without having to look in the book at all...

That's half done already... and you'll have ooodles of time left.

Then go back through the questions that you didn't immediately know the answers to... a simple lookup in the index/contents will probably tackle half of what's left... that's 75% answered already.

With your remaining time.. which will be loads and loads... you can start to 'research' the answers by a bit more reading of sections etc.... but you'll still find most of the answers quite quickly... DON'T get bogged down with a single question though... give it a few mins... then either have a guess and flag the question as unsure... or move on.

At this stage you should be over the pass mark with at least 30 mins left to go over the ones that are left or you've flagged. If you're not 100% certain of an answer, you can usually discount a couple of the options... so it's a 50/50 after that... Any time left... go over any that you flagged as not sure of.

Reply to I tabbed my regs book for my exam today in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net