Currently reading:
Identify this head unit

Discuss Identify this head unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

leebut

-
Reaction score
Hi guys

Came to do the testing on small bathroom lighting job today and I was confronted with this old piece of scrap iron.

I’ve never come across one of these before, so I’m asking you guys for confirmation of what I think what it is I’m looking for the type and BS number and amperage, so I can fill out my certificate, my thoughts are it’s a Bs 3036 semi enclosed rewire able fuses and guessing the fuse wire has been upgraded in the past from 30 amp to probably 60 amp.

I’ve already told my customer that they need to contact Electricity North West to have the head unit replaced as soon as possible for two reasons, the Bitumen has tracked back into the head and the live fuse is fully enclosed in the bitumen at the bottom and cannot be removed and the second reason it’s a fused neutral supply that’s no longer allowed be installed.

AED228EF-6622-4231-A3B2-35A545E7E6E9.jpeg
47EFC034-F9EE-42EB-A524-87B38C865B26.jpeg
9741A3DE-B35D-440A-AF5A-36A2F6105A7E.jpeg

Cheers

Lee

In this situation I email or phone the dno and submit a form to request upgrade..
I am in a lucky position though as over here in the iom we only have 1 dno and I’m on 1st name terms with all their staff who have a great rapport with the electrical trade..

You'll probably want to record it as BS3036 but it actually pre-dates that standard by a few decades. I would generally not recommend opening CI cutouts. If anything is loose or broken inside, there is a much higher risk of short-circuiting the incoming service compared with all-insulated units, with resulting nasty arc flash. The supply impedances are often lower now than when they were installed (this one could be 90 years old) so their designers were not anticipating the kind of fireball that can occur today when blowing a 315A substation fuse.

That said, if anyone comes across disconnected / redundant ones, I need them for the collection.

In this situation I email or phone the dno and submit a form to request upgrade..
I am in a lucky position though as over here in the iom we only have 1 dno and I’m on 1st name terms with all their staff who have a great rapport with the electrical trade..
Wish it was as simple over here bud I asked if the DNO could put an isolator switch in a couple of months back they said we don’t do that, so my response was how do I perform safe isolation then, they said we’ll get back to you, still waiting!!
You'll probably want to record it as BS3036 but it actually pre-dates that standard by a few decades. I would generally not recommend opening CI cutouts. If anything is loose or broken inside, there is a much higher risk of short-circuiting the incoming service compared with all-insulated units, with resulting nasty arc flash.

That said, if anyone comes across disconnected / redundant ones, I need them for the collection.
cheers for the info

Rung em last week over here for a main fuse upgrade and got told can’t talk talk to you need the homeowner, I had to write the homeowner a script as she had no idea what to say to them

Total opposite over here..
Customer only signs the form to pay the bill, we do everything else, saves so much hassle..

Attachments

• B9A01699-9AA4-42C1-8BC7-F862467E8879.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • E863AA8E-4229-45AD-A729-99FFB9150339.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
This happened to me a few months ago neutral fuse. I contacted the DNO immediately and advised the Landlord to shut off the power with a danger notice. The DNO told me to switch off the installation until they arrived. They came within an hour. I never knew what then transpired as the Landlord did not want to pay me to wait for them...

Why can’t they all be the same, what’s the rules over there for pulling a fuse to do a board change??

Napit have been trying to get the DNO to agree to let registered sparks pull and temporarily resell a cut out for what seems like years now

We can’t pull the fuses, I’ve only ever done it a handful of times and that was for real emergencies to avoid disaster.

Our island is only 36 miles x 12 so doesn’t take long for them to attend site..
Trouble with sparks pulling fuses and re-tagging is that it is open to abuse

We can’t pull the fuses, I’ve only ever done it a handful of times and that was for real emergencies to avoid disaster.

Our island is only 36 miles x 12 so doesn’t take long for them to attend site..
Trouble with sparks pulling fuses and re-tagging is that it is open to abuse
Can’t see the problem with a registered spark being able to pull a cut out and re sealing using a registered numbered vinyl label similar to what some of the DNO use now, basically a registered installer gets an amount of numbered labels assigned to him and has to send a DNO notification with that seal number on it after the works carried out.

It makes sense for safe isolation of a supply which is in the safety at work act!!

In a perfect world it makes sense but there are too many rogues out there who could potentially use it to get free electricity..

It’s just too much hassle for them to put a system in place to allow us to pull fuses..
As far as they are concerned, apart from extreme circumstances there is no need for us to pull fuses..
If say we do a board change and you don’t want to do the tails live then we can arrange for them to pull fuse prior to works commencing

This happened to me a few months ago neutral fuse. I contacted the DNO immediately and advised the Landlord to shut off the power with a danger notice.

Was it dangerous in ways other than having a fuse in the neutral? If that was the main concern, I would not consider it worthy of isolating the system. The presence of a fuse in the neutral as well as the line is only a latent hazard, if someone does not perform safe isolation when the system appears dead due to the neutral fuse having blown, which itself is very unlikely. It is a world away from having fuses in the neutral instead of the line in which case there is no earth-fault protection.

I thought the fact the cutout was Cast iron with Ceramic fuse holders was a bigger concern.
Weren't they supposed to have been changed years ago under direction of the Regulator?

When the DNO come out to the O.P, depending on how much room there is around the cutout to work it's quite likely they'll dig up outside and cut the service before they touch the Cutout.

Whenever I come across a problem with a service head I ring ENWL myself, explain I am an electrician on site and tell them what the problem is. I then arrange a date and time with ENWL to attend the property. I make sure I am there and will supply and fit the isolator to the back board before they come (all chargeable to the customer) ENWL will then fit the tails into that and I will then reconnect the CU to the isolator, never had a problem with this arrangement and usually the guys from ENWL are quite accommodating with this arrangement.

Reply to Identify this head unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock