Search the forum,

Discuss Is this the end of 6 week wonders? New Domestic Gold Card Apprenticeship announced in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I really don't get how nobody seems to realise this thread is about those doing short courses and not 'dave down the pub'. It's even in the thread title. ?
Your opening post talks about DIY work, and making domestic electrical work exclusive to those who are qualified (which it currently isn't, and the introduction of this qualification alone isn't going to change that). No mention of short courses until later on.

I really don't get how nobody seems to realise this thread is about those doing short courses and not 'dave down the pub'. It's even in the thread title. ?
You said it was to stop people undertaking electrical work in homes which is what the 6 week courses were trying to do

All you are doing is making the 6 week course a 6 month course or whatever

You said it was to stop people undertaking electrical work in homes which is what the 6 week courses were trying to do

All you are doing is making the 6 week course a 6 month course or whatever
3 year apprenticeship. Did you watch the video?

My point is that honest decent people aren't going to undertake work that they're not legally allowed to do, knowing full well they're not legally allowed to do it. Which is most people.

They will also not pay for courses that don't give them their desired result.

This will 100% result in less competition in the domestic sector if done properly. How many people wanting to change career will do so if they know they have to essentially find an apprenticeship or get taken on as a mate for 5 years to become a 'experienced worker'? Not many i'd wager.

Last edited:
So in a nut shell the course providers are changing from 6 weeks to 36 months...

Marvelous , it won't make a jot of difference in the short term

DIY Dave and Kevin the Kitchen Fitter will carry on regardless and will do safe in the knowledge that they won't ever be pulled up for doing so

At 43 I certainly won't be retraining or doing another apprecticeship , not a chance

I will carry on regardless, doing what I have been doing for the past 25 years

6 week courses shouldn't enable someone to carry out electrical work but I bet a lot of people doing the 6 week courses are decent and honest people who have been sold a load of crap but actually believe that it's worth something and at least they've went out of their way to try and gain knowledge... fair play to them!

The dodgy builder who comes to site and manages to convince the customer that they're capable of doing building, electrical and plumbing works and then goes ahead and attempts it all themselves without subbying the work out.... these are the people that need dealt with!

What SHOULD be happening is that LABC were funded and trained appropriately to monitor work in their area, and dish out enforcement notices to require crappy work to be corrected. Instead, building inspectors are generally being privatised, overworked, and as often as not barely visit a site any more in my experience, let alone monitor whether electrical work has been done properly. (Some areas are better than others)
Personally... I don't want my council tax to go up any higher ! So I'd like to see the trade bodies actually do something for the extortionate annual fee... Let's legally enforce them to actually be responsible for the standard of their members ??

So in a nut shell the course providers are changing from 6 weeks to 36 months...

Marvelous , it won't make a jot of difference in the short term

DIY Dave and Kevin the Kitchen Fitter will carry on regardless and will do safe in the knowledge that they won't ever be pulled up for doing so

At 43 I certainly won't be retraining or doing another apprecticeship , not a chance

I will carry on regardless, doing what I have been doing for the past 25 years
Nope, none of this was said anywhere. I don't think you watched or understood the video.

They are bringing in a domestic apprenticeship which results in a Gold Card to prove you've done said apprenticeship. For those that haven't you will have to prove competency through an 'experienced worker' route. It's likely competent persons schemes will require these to join in future.

If they made this a legal requirement you would do it, wouldn't you? You certainly wouldn't just carry on as is since you seemingly made a huge fuss recently about those not signing up to a scheme being 'cowboys' and leaving all the 'decent, honest' electricians to compete with the prices of those who don't have joining fees..

Nothing about course providers changing to 36 months, nothing about you needing to 'do another apprenticeship' ?

Reply to Is this the end of 6 week wonders? New Domestic Gold Card Apprenticeship announced in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back