Discuss Gold Card Fresh Meat Member in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electreacle

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi there, firstly wishing you all good health and happiness 🙂
Just a few questions if you all don’t mind answering for me please..

I’ve just recently passed my AM2s.. still awaiting my gold card in the post..

I’m wondering what options will be open to me now as being newly qualified?.. the first 3 years of my apprenticeship was under a domestic company but left due to a dispute in pay etc.. joined a commercial company in my last year.. gained a good range of on site experience from both sectors.. now I’m confused on what route I can take..
What would it entail in me being self employed?
I’m aware I’d need to get liability insurance..
But would I need the 2391 to sign off minor works and EIC’s? (I’ve been told I have to have a further 2 year’s experience to be eligible to be able to sit this course) is this right?

Who does Part P refer to? Can I obtain this and sign off small works outside of special locations?

My main goal is to work for myself with the possibility of being a subby for the quiet times.
Just unsure what my options are as being newly qualified..
Appreciate your feedback 🙂

Regarding part p.
You cannot 'obtain' part p, it is not a qualification. It is a building regulations document you can download and read for free.
Part p ONLY applies to installations in dwellings and in short stipulates that ALL work carried out in dwellings must comply with bs7671...( the regs ). So in order to comply with part p you require a working knowlege of the latest edition of bs7671. One of the requirements of 7671 is that all work must be issued with an appropriate certificate on completion , either an EIC or MW. This can be issued by any competant person and certs are easily obtainable. The rub with part p is that certain works, such as but not limited to, new circuits, new DB's, rewires etc MUST also be registered with building control. An individual can do this directly with BC but it will cost hundreds of pounds for each job so is not practical for a contractor. The way over this is to join a scheme such as NAPIT or NICEIC who for a few quid each job will register the work with BC for you. Clearly you will need to pass their admittance proceedure and cough up a considerable annual fee for the priviledge though.

Reply to Gold Card Fresh Meat Member in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net