Search the forum,

Discuss Level of qualification needed to obtain licence? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

On the flip side of the coin then, do you know exactly what qualifications you need to get the "Gas Safe" license? Just thought it would be a good idea so we can compare to an already licensed trade.

No i don't know, and frankly i don't care either!! I have no interest whatsoever in what or how Gas Safe do or don't do things....

Do they have incompetent 17 day whizz kids and electrical trainee's flooding the gas industry too??

Don't see any option but to have a transition period to allow those under the bar to achieve the level set by any new licensing system although even this will result in some losing interest and leaving the industry. The transport industry introduced the driver CPC in 2009 with a 5 year transition period and this timescale appears to be the norm when changes are made in most industries.

My point was, we want it licensed and only have that to compare to as a trade as such.

Surely if you can become gas safe in a matter of weeks, whats the difference, I appreciate theres cowboys out there doing both, but im just saying you can get a license on a Electrical Trainee gas course probably.

No mention of a core electrical qualification or any qualification for that matter so no better than what we have now

So a new spark gets away doing an NVQ / AM2 and an experienced spark has to do a "5 day in depth practical assessment"

Some disparity there then you obviously don't like level playing fields and if this is just to gain the right to apply for a licence I do wonder what you would expect at a 5 yearly assessment

A recipe for total chaos I can imagine a customer being really happy because their job is stopped for a few days while you have to go and do your reassessment at a moments notice and as it would expire after another 5 years some people could feel short changed getting hit for a reassessment within the 5 year period

Are you reinventing trading standards or creating another expensive quango !!!!!!

The regs are written in law speak as this is the reference book for the legal bods when we get it wrong

Reading through your initial assessment suggestions all I can see is £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ a 5 day assessment could easily end up costing between £2K - £2.5K when all the costs and lost earnings are taken into account and what will it prove getting experienced sparks to jump through hoops so they can carry on working in the industry while letting in new entrants with an NVQ / AM2 a qualification which isn't worth a right hand job IMO

Notice I said "Existing sparks - As above (i.e. the NVQ/AM2) OR a portfolio of work showing the required competencies OR an indepth practical assessment over say 5 days." Not in addition to....

Not sure, But don't Gas engineers on the Gas safe register have to take a test (exam) every year to keep the ticket?

All I can tell you is that is seems to be a far more robust system than we currently have! I looked last year at what would be required to get Gas Safe'd up for doing the LPG side of catering trailers - a one stop shop kind of idea alongside EICR / PAT - and decided it was just too much like hard work! Once you've done the various modular courses to get the exams, you then have to get EVERYTHING you do shadowed by another long-term GS engineer and sort of double signed-off for the first year. There's a lot of duplication in the system, but I'll confess that it did make me look at GS guys in a slightly friendlier light, they do seem to have to go through the mill a bit in order to get that card.

its good to see a relevent topic thoroughly debated , they're fairly scarce around here lately.

and only 3 pages short of the forum record 22 page epic 6mm / 9.5kw shower thread....:-D

good work men !
;-)

Notice I said "Existing sparks - As above (i.e. the NVQ/AM2) OR a portfolio of work showing the required competencies OR an indepth practical assessment over say 5 days." Not in addition to....

I know what you said but there does not appear to be any equivalent level across the 3 options

What is wrong with one base standard for the whole industry I.E. a 2360. 2330 or an equivalent then everyone knows where they stand in one simple criteria

I live honestly and in reality and always have done, unfortunately some people like to think they can shop down the "One Upmanship Isle" in the supermarket.

He best not bring his sausage over here!
What about a kebab would you get into the bath tub with him if he gave you some fatty meat?

Attachments

• midget.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 15
  • kebab.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 17

Reply to Level of qualification needed to obtain licence? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock