Search the forum,

Discuss Major works notification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thank you all for your replies. They are all very helpful. I want to do a professional job and feel I have cocked up here. The responses kind of confirm that. Lesson learnt. Thanks for the advice.

In my defence I ran out of time to deal with this problem and took the decision to leave it as it was already in place for sometime. Instead I dealt with the un-fused spur to the garage supplying sockets and lights alternately. The lighting circuit used a 3 terminal junction box when a four terminal was required. The obvious solution was not to buy the right junction box, but to cut the earth out. So two fused spurs later and new wire laid and the garage was safe. I'll have to go back and sort out the bonding conductors.

How i read it is that I am updating the consumer unit and ensuring the earthing is up to standard.

I dont know about you but I know what the NICEIC bloke would say if I showed him a job where I had left the green bonding in place on a CU change.

Personally I wouldn't leave a solid green conductor in place on the bonding, ok I know it may be in the back boxes etc on the CPC and the like. I don't know, but I wouldn't be too happy leaving it.

With reference to a post you made just 5 days ago, I can only assume this is the same property:

"I would value peoples opinions the earthing arrangement I cam across yesterday. Water and Gas main protective bonding conductors were not installed at the consumer unit, but were coned to the main earthing terminal. The MET was connected to the distributors earth and one conductor ran from the MET to the consumer unit. The resistance from the consumer unit to the gas and water were fine at 0.01 Ohms. But shouldn't the conductors be wired into the consumer unit? They all need changing anyway as they were all 6mm."

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...trical-forum/102345-earthing-arrangement.html

So based on this, you knew they were on the small side before you started the work, so why have you carried on and not updated them?

That's not quite the case. I discovered the problem as I was replacing the consumer unit. I think I should have checked for this problem at the time of quoting and included it in the quote. However the situation in the garage was far more dangerous, so I spent my time on that. I'll go back and sort the bonding asap. Thanks for your help

Would be great to live in a perfect world and look what happened in the 16th edition regs , surprised we didn't end up bonding bloody door handle and hinges! 18th edition will probably say earthing is a myth, go back to 2 core twisted cables and use the pendant as a socket for your iron lol ;)

I agree it would be good practice to replace it - most definitely the main earthing conductor, but long runs that test out fine and would cost a lot in time and money to replace- maybe just mark with green/yellow where accessible and visible, after all what else could a green single core be ?

But isn't that talking about NEW works ?

BS7671 is to be used for ALL works new or old.

Petsonally id say that if you are changing the CU and testing and reconnecting and energising circuits, you are knowingly reconnecting and using a green conductor. I know ither parts of the installation may have green, but you are not physically touching any of that, that's all hidden.

i may be totally wrong but I won't reconnect a solid green conductor.

We are not talking about that, we are talking about over sleaving a conductor that's against regulation.

... against regulation due the colour of its insulation ... BS 7671 is not retrospective so unless the conductor is not up to the job in terms of its function then it's replacement is not an issue of necessity!

Reply to Major works notification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock