Search the forum,

Discuss Major works notification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Every time I change a cu I update it, maybe it's just me, but if I went round changing cu's and left a 6mm green conductor in on the bonding every time id feel I'm doing something wrong.

Every time I change a cu I update it, maybe it's just me, but if I went round changing cu's and left a 6mm green conductor in on the bonding every time id feel I'm doing something wrong.
What's the difference resistance wise over a bit of 6mm or 10mm Earth wire over the average distance of 10-15m in a house for the bond to the water or gas?
ill tell you
about the square root of hee haw.
by all means update the main earth to 16mm
but as for ripping out a decent bond to the water just cos its green I think it's work that's not needed
an electrician that does not know that a 6mm green to a water pipe is a bond is not much of a spark in my eyes

Why should it be updated?
read the first bit of my post
the difference between a bit of 6mm and 10mm over the average distance in a house/flat is negligible so why rip it out because the colour doesn't suit you?

if the bond is adequate, and tests fine and is connected correctly. Then why not just list it in the departures from BS7671 section of the test sheet.
i wouldn't have thought ripping it out and replacing green with green & yellow, is entirely necessary.

If it's TNCS it would need to be 10mm
In a new installation yes you are correct.
in a job with a green 6mm Earth bond it's probably been done to the 14th edition and as the regs aren't retrospective it's ok if you are changing a board over in my eyes.

Maybe I just like green and yellow and prefere to be modern and stylish and do away with green.

to be fair if it's solid green, chances are the rest of the installation is crappy and probably needs a rewire as its donkeys years old.

Having followed and read through all the posts in this thread it's clear to see that we all have our own opinions on how to interpret the regulations and what is reasonably practicable to achieve. Ultimately as an electrician it's down to you to make the judgement call based on your experience and technical knowledge of the installation. If tests provide satisfactory results and you mark the certificate accordingly that the bonding would be required to be upgraded to 10mm to comply with 17th edition amd3 regulations I see no harm in leaving it as is in the short term. Unfortunately it all also comes back to what the client will allow you to do and what costs will be involved, before anyone starts shouting about costs and safety, as the financial controller at our firm once stated to me, every decision is a financial decision....................

List it as a non-compliance / upgrade required / recommended. Issue and give costs to rectify....... It's then down to the client to decide the next step.

It's quite amazing to see so many 'views', on such a simple subject.
Old installation. Possibly undersized earthing conductor, possibly undersized bonding.
So, we get our Regs book out, and see what it says about Earthing Conductor size. So we look at 543.1.1.
Where we see we can either used the easy to read, idiot proof table for the size, or, we do a test measurement, then calculate the required size of conductor.
In 95%+ of installs, the size given in the table will be too big, but that is why it is there, it is to make it idiot proof, and errs on the side of safety.
So we have a 6mm bonding. OK, get GN8 out, and read about it in there (as well as more info on the earthing conductor).
Firstly colour - you can still use green if it is identified correctly .514.3.2
Size - GN8 , Page 58 on (last years GN8, not the new one). Identify if the cable will meet the requirements there, which in 99.9% of installs, it will.

So, 5 minutes of testing, calculations , inspection, and sleeving of green cable, then you are likely to not have to upgrade anything.
That'll save the Installer 1 hour+ of work, the householder a larger bill, and fully comply with the Regulations.

Short version of above - buy GN8, and read it thoroughly.

Personally I wouldn't leave a solid green conductor in place on the bonding, ok I know it may be in the back boxes etc on the CPC and the like. I don't know, but I wouldn't be too happy leaving it.

So on a CU change where the install has green bonding cables, you would rip out the entire lengths of 10mm green bonding cable and replace them with 10mm green/yellow bonding cables? Am I missing something here? Daz

Reply to Major works notification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock