Search the forum,

Discuss Mathematical Symbols for use in Equations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you find it difficult to remember all such codes, I have got an easy way out.
Go to insert< add symbols < choose the symbol and click OK. It done. Isn’t that easy

Alt 253 = ²
Alt 167 = º
There doesn't appear to be an Alt for Ω.
The TEF forum used to automaticalliy change Ohms or ohms to Ω, I don't know if the program this forum uses would allow such.
To obtain Ω and other symbols such as ¶ or ÷ I open the 'Character Map', which I have stuck to my task bar.
Unfortunately I then have to change the font size from 4 to 2.
Some forums will automatically size the symbol to the same size as other text.

Last edited by a moderator:
spin, how do i get this character map. the alt etc will not work on a laptop as there is not a separate numerical keypad.

If you're using a Windows computer you can type 'charmap' in a run box (without the ' ) and hit enter.

I could tell you it's something akin to a bash shell...but I won't :).
You should get the run box if you hit the stupid looking windows key and the letter r together.

If you have XPyou can go;

Start>Programs>Accessories>system Tools>Character Map

If you're using Vista or Win7/8 I'm not sure where they will have buried it.

spin, how do i get this character map. the alt etc will not work on a laptop as there is not a separate numerical keypad.
The Character Map is in systom tools.
Click on 'Start', then 'All Programs', then 'Accessories', then 'Sytem Tools'.
You should then be able to right click on 'Character Map', and select pin to task bar.

Why not use the equation editor in Word? Either find the pi icon or press Alt+= and the equation editor will appear. You then have all the symbols, greek letters, fractions, square roots and other functions you need.

Reply to Mathematical Symbols for use in Equations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back