Discuss Mathematical Symbols for use in Equations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JUD

After a question on this the other day I thought I would start a thread with instructions on how to place mathematical symbols etc. in equations.

There are two ways to do this.

The first is using the Alt key along with certain codes as follows:

1. Make sure Num Lock is enabled on your keyboard
  2. Hold down the Alt key (the one to the left of the spacebar)
  3. On the numerical keypad (on the right hand side of your keyboard) type the following codes to place the symbols in your text when posting
    • Degrees [°] »» 0176
    • Power of 1 [¹] »» 0185
    • Squared [²] »» 0178
    • Cubed [³] »» 0179
    • Quarter [¼] »» 0188
    • Half [½] »» 0189
    • Three quarters [¾] »» 0190
    • Plus/Minus [±] »» 241
  4. Let go of the Alt key. The symbol should now appear in your text

The codes for these symbols and more can be found HERE. Some of the codes don't give you the symbol you're expecting. Don't ask me why, I think it must be something to do with your keyboard language settings or something.

NOTE: These codes are for Windows PCs. Instructions on how to do this on a Mac are HERE

Another way to do this is to use HTML character codes. These are codes that start with "&#" followed by a code and end with a semi-colon ";" (without quotation marks).

Type these codes where you want the symbol to appear in your post. When you submit the post and your browser renders the page, these codes will be replaced with their corresponding symbol:

Here's a few common ones:

• Pi [π] »» 960
  • Omega [Ω] »» 937
  • Less than or equal [] »» 8804
  • Greater than or equal [] »» 8805
  • Square Root [] »» 8730
  • Divide [÷] »» 247
  • Delta [Δ] »» 916

Don't forget to start with "&#" followed by the code and end with a semi-colon ";" (without quotation marks).

A full list of these codes can be found HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you. i have been into word before inserted the symbols and then had to copy them, this will save having to do that :)

Thanks guys, a cracking little find .....

If it helps as well, when in word 2007, if you press ALT and the + sign to the side of the numeric pad, it brings up links, drop downs and buttons to a pile of symbols......:cool: (not sure if it works with the earlier versions or 2010)

ΩΩΩΩΩ ALT 937 has been a great find!! ΩΩΩΩΩ (little things 'eh :))

Some of the HTML codes appear to have stopped working now the forum software has been updated.

Not sure why :confused:

²
Yup - just tried entering squared sign and not working for me.

Square root is ok though (ampersand hash 8730 semi-colon)

Last edited:
²
Yup - just tried entering squared sign and not working for me.

Square root is ok though (ampersand hash 8730 semi-colon)

Squared is Alt+0178 [²]

I noticed when divide [÷] stopped working but found that Alt+0247 works [÷]

Quick reminder......

Alt+0176 [°]
Alt+185 [¹]
Alt+0178 [²]
Alt+0179 [³]
Alt+0188 [¼]
Alt+0189 [½]
Alt+0190 [¾]
Alt+241 [±]
Alt+0247 [÷]

&# 960; [π]
&# 937; [Ω]
&# 8804; [≤]
&# 8805; [≥]
&# 8730; [√]
&# 247; [No longer working]
&# 916; [Δ]

got this thread on my toolbar now so hopefully can access the symbols quickly - hopefully i will now be ohmless (well at least in one sense :D)

i have the page opened as a tab and just copy/paste direct.

If you find it difficult to remember all such codes, I have got an easy way out.
Go to insert< add symbols < choose the symbol and click OK. It done. Isn’t that easy

Alt 253 = ²
Alt 167 = º
There doesn't appear to be an Alt for Ω.
The TEF forum used to automaticalliy change Ohms or ohms to Ω, I don't know if the program this forum uses would allow such.
To obtain Ω and other symbols such as ¶ or ÷ I open the 'Character Map', which I have stuck to my task bar.
Unfortunately I then have to change the font size from 4 to 2.
Some forums will automatically size the symbol to the same size as other text.

spin, how do i get this character map. the alt etc will not work on a laptop as there is not a separate numerical keypad.

If you're using a Windows computer you can type 'charmap' in a run box (without the ' ) and hit enter.

I could tell you it's something akin to a bash shell...but I won't :).
You should get the run box if you hit the stupid looking windows key and the letter r together.

If you have XPyou can go;

Start>Programs>Accessories>system Tools>Character Map

If you're using Vista or Win7/8 I'm not sure where they will have buried it.

spin, how do i get this character map. the alt etc will not work on a laptop as there is not a separate numerical keypad.
The Character Map is in systom tools.
Click on 'Start', then 'All Programs', then 'Accessories', then 'Sytem Tools'.
You should then be able to right click on 'Character Map', and select pin to task bar.

Why not use the equation editor in Word? Either find the pi icon or press Alt+= and the equation editor will appear. You then have all the symbols, greek letters, fractions, square roots and other functions you need.

Reply to Mathematical Symbols for use in Equations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock