Currently reading:
MCB Loud buzzing noise

Discuss MCB Loud buzzing noise in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, can anyone help please?

I installed 18 downlights today, in 2 rooms with 9 in each room. and ran them on a completely new circuit with a 6amp breaker. When turning on the lights there is a very loud buzzing sound coming from the mcb ??? Both switches are dimmers. I thought perhaps the mcb is too close to overload ?? when i tried replacing the dimmers with standard one way switches the buzzing stopped ??
Can anyone help please as the customer is adament they want dimmer switches, and im not happy leaving the job with the loud buzzing.

Thanks in advance.

Unless dimmer switch also acted as an inductive load in itself.....Is this possible? Anyone?

Just thinking out load, please don't gun me down if I'm being a fool :)

Dimming is quite a difficult subject which i only know a little about. The very old dimmer switches which were basically a coiled variable resistor/potentiometer (were very wasteful of energy)so would have been inductive.

Modern dimmers are more efficent and use electronics in different ways, some can use inductive phase shifting via inductive elements in the circuit and others operate by using thyristors for high speed switching of the wave form to reduce the average voltage applied. These ones however, i believe, also then use inductors to suppress radio interference.

So yes it is likely that the dimmers themselves are inductive. :)

edit, btw loved the "thinking out load"

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to MCB Loud buzzing noise in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock