Search the forum,

Discuss Measuring Ze in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

My tester is the same as this.

The Z loop setting on the dial is a high current test but has a sub setting of Z loop (RCD) which is a low current test.
The Z Line setting is also a high current test for Line-N and Line-Line impedance.

All three tests are described in the manual as three lead tests, and all three tests generate an automatic PFC value.

I have the new style megger MET also. Select Loop on dial. Then you can toggle with arrow button to left of screen between 2 Hi, 3Lo and 2lo. These are 2 lead High current, 3 lead low current and 2 lead low current.

My tester is the same as this.

The Z loop setting on the dial is a high current test but has a sub setting of Z loop (RCD) which is a low current test.
The Z Line setting is also a high current test for Line-N and Line-Line impedance.

All three tests are described in the manual as three lead tests, and all three tests generate an automatic PFC value.

On the kewtech it describes the hi current test as a L-N test and uses the 1 and 3 connections on the tester (also labelled L and N)
It seems some people don't understand and think it means it is only for testing L-N

On the kewtech it describes the hi current test as a L-N test and uses the 1 and 3 connections on the tester (also labelled L and N)
It seems some people don't understand and think it means it is only for testing L-N

Ah I see. I've not used a Kewtech MFT. The Metrel definitely offers high current tests on both the line and loop settings.
The leads on the Metrel are a multi plug affair, so all three leads are connected to the tester at all times. Most testers I have used that offer 2 lead test options tend to have separate lead terminals on the tester.

Having looked at the manual from The Big Owls post, thanks, it appears that the test is being aborted due to "the danger of exceeding touch-voltage".
What does this mean and how can I reduce the touch voltage?

That's what RB was alluding to in the second post.

As someone else mentioned you can use the left and right arrows to toggle between the high and low current settings. For Ze testing use two probes only on high current.

It was TJ in #26

Last edited:
On all testers?

Not familiar with all testers but I would say very very likely yes. DS mentioned this also earlier that Ze is a two probe test. Look in GN or OSG for further info I would say. Ze tests between L and E. Neutral not relevant to this test.

Isolate CU, disconnect main earth at CU, test between that and live at incoming side of main switch. Make sure your tester is set to high current for a more accurate reading. The neutral connection only comes into it when there is an RCD involved as far as I aware. Others may know better.

The manual is very basic. There is a diagram, that's about as much info as you get.

View attachment 32230

Gaz your getting Zs & Ze confused mate. (going by the picture you posted up)

The MI3000 on screen display shows you how many probes to use and which probes to use on every test you perform. Select any test function and have a look at the bottom right hand side of the display screen. Three circles L, N & PE. If the circle is solid/black then you need to attach a probe to that test lead. eg:-

Zs = a 3 probe test. Pre-select the type of MCB (eg bs60898 32A), plug in using an adapter (safer than using probes btw) and it will give you a reading and work out if it is acceptable to AMD3 Regs for you.

Ze = a 2 probe test taken at the DB with the probes on Line and Earth. Have a look at the bottom right display screen before any test just to make sure you have set it up correctly.

When carrying out a Zs and the MFT prevents you from doing so, a X will appear. This is due to earth leakage from energized circuits whilst trying to test. With permission (etc, etc, etc) turn off the main switch and conduct the Ze test. Now find out where the leakage is coming from lol.

The lads at Test Meter can answer this question a lot better than most of us on here regarding your Metral, send them a PM and I'm sure they will be happy to help.

Last edited:
I couldn't get a reading, using an MFT1730 tester, using three wires. The tester would start to test but then stop and read >50V. I managed to get a reading using the 2 wire method.

Any ideas?

I have just checked the Instruction manual Gaz and the picture does show 3 leads (see top of page 39 http://www.test-meter.co.uk/images/file/Metrel MI3000.pdf), however it does state clearly that this is a (earth) 'fault loop impedance test' and not an external earth fault loop impedance check.

You would need to connect your L3-PE lead into the back of the L2-N and then test at the main switch between Line and disconnected main earth with the 2 remaining leads.

as far as the tester is concerned isnt it the same thing?

there is no function labelled ze. In the manual you have linked to it says the loop function performs 2 tests. Z loop for RCD and Z loop. I just assumed that Z function was for Ze and Zs

Reply to Measuring Ze in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock