Currently reading:
Meter box issue ?

Discuss Meter box issue ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gavin Bear

Hi folks. Comment invited on this meter box.
White mini trunking contains door entry system wiring.

PICT0674.jpgPICT0676.jpg

Same as Dave said, the holes look like they have been made with a pick-axe but what's the big problem with the cables passing through? I bet the DNO wouldn't give a ---- anyway.
Never liked skittles much though.

Don't know what we are judging? The holes could have been there already...chicken and egg job...Only thing we could bank on,is the existence of a tubby kid with bad teeth lurking somewhere...

Those door entry cables should not pass through the same hole as the tails without any segregation, voltage rating of the insulation will not be the same as the tails. Easy fix though.
how do you know that? those cables could be FP200. :ciappa:

As I thought.....there should be segregation
don't have the BYB to hand but 528.1 in the BRB

No further segregation than insulation and sheathing is required, the ELV cables are not within the same wiring system (insulated and sheathed cable) so require no further protection from a voltage point of view.
As far as interference goes then as long as the ELV circuits are not susceptible then again there is no issue

No further segregation than insulation and sheathing is required, the ELV cables are not within the same wiring system (insulated and sheathed cable) so require no further protection from a voltage point of view.
As far as interference goes then as long as the ELV circuits are not susceptible then again there is no issue

I don't agree. Passing through the same hole they are band 11 cables in direct contact with band 1 cables. None of the requirements of 528.1 are met.

i agree with dave. separation is provided by the outer sheath of the tails.
Reading 528.1.....(from the BRB which is all I have to hand) ....Band 1 and band 11 shall not be contained within the same wiring system unless(i) every cable or conductor is insulated to the highest voltage present...not the case with telephone/alarm cables(ii)....not applicable here(iii)....Band 1 and Band11 cables are installed in separate compartments of a ducting or trunking system....Not here they are not(iv) not applicable here(v) a separate conduit or trunking system is used..(v) not applicable here

There is no provision for separation of band 1 and band 11 cables by means of ONE set of cables being insulated/sheathed for the highest voltage present.I think you are wrong, but will happily put my hands up if you can show me a regulation supporting the view that only the tails need to be insulated to the highest voltage present or that a non metallic cable sheath meets the requirements of 528.1.

Last edited by a moderator:
what i'm saying is that they are not contained within the same wiring system/containment. they just pass closely through a hole for perhaps a few inches.

what i'm saying is that they are not contained within the same wiring system/containment. they just pass closely through a hole for perhaps a few inches.
as far as I'm aware there is nothing in the regs stating a few inches is ok but a greater distance isn't

And they're also segregated by enclosure in trunking....[/QUOTE

whats the point of segregating them in trunking when they go through the same hole?

We will have to agree to disagree on this one......I think you are wrong on your interpretation of this one,but it's hardly likely to cause an issue in practice.

Reply to Meter box issue ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back