Currently reading:
MICC cable and sockets

Discuss MICC cable and sockets in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Bit of advice please. Not too used to this stuff.
In large old building, a couple of MICC radial circuits feeding a few sockets each. All tests pass, all RCD protected, very good Zs etc.
Questions:
  • chassis of metal consumer unit being used for CPC, no banjos/fly leads etc. It clearly works very well but should there be a banjo / pyro clamp really?
  • all 12 sockets have no earth fly lead from metal surface box to front. Again metal box used for cpc. So cpc to socket relies on case making good connection and the 2 screws. Easily solved of course.

My initial hunch is C3 for 1st one as it would require effort to make it dangerous and C2 for 2nd one.
Thanks.

My views:
  • chassis of metal consumer unit being used for CPC, no banjos/fly leads etc. It clearly works very well but should there be a banjo / pyro clamp really?

No code - continuity is achieved, unlikely to end up loosing it to rust etc, adding an additional earth connection either by changing to tailed pots, or banjos could be done of course.

• all 12 sockets have no earth fly lead from metal surface box to front. Again metal box used for cpc. So cpc to socket relies on case making good connection and the 2 screws. Easily solved of course.

I would C3 - the first part is the same as above, but depending on location could be more susceptible to rust, so in some cases a banjo or change to a tailed pot would be better; if the location doesn't lead to this then no code again. The second part is still C3 for me, there is continuity to the socket CPC under normal or fault conditions, it would only be not connected if the socket was removed - which should not be normal operation.

Reply to MICC cable and sockets in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock