Discuss EICR Unsatisfactory - New Property in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

They definately advised me the information as mentioned here. I know it sounds odd but I wouldn't of posted here otherwise. I have spoken to another sparks and he advised it could be done but the circuits need to be tested first as MCBs could trip RCBOs and so circuits definately have to be tested first and then advising if it can be done. I am currently looking into this once he quote for testing.
The EICR you posted shows a set of test results, which implies the relevant circuits have already been tested. However there are some discrepancies in the test sheets compared to what is actually installed, so I would be reluctant to believe the previous results. It is not unknown for them to be made up.

NB: It makes no difference whether fitting RCBOs or a new dual RCD board, the required tests are the same.

They definately advised me the information as mentioned here. I know it sounds odd but I wouldn't of posted here otherwise. I have spoken to another sparks and he advised it could be done but the circuits need to be tested first as MCBs could trip RCBOs and so circuits definately have to be tested first and then advising if it can be done. I am currently looking into this once he quote for testing.
Sounds reasonable and is what I would do. I wouldn't fit based on someone else's results and would insist I test it myself.
Regarding opening the MCU, I have opened the outer transparent lid many times but it has no model number specified, I was referring to removing the two screws that hold the front face of the box and whether the model or serial no is inside.
You don't have to be qualified to do that, but you dont have to do that to find out compatibility. Just the name of the breakers that fit the current board will suffice, any good wholesaler will know.

So an update, I spoke to another electrician who was a lot more helpful then the previous ones. He would be able to change the MCBs to RCBOs, however he said he will want to take out the current RCD for the sockets so 6 RCBOs instead of 4. I'm not sure the exact reason why as it was too technical for me but I do recall he said it would be a lot easier in case the tenant experiences any issues with anything tripping having RCBO circuit breaker for the sockets is easier so he will replace with 6 RCBOs. He does prefer to change the whole board for a new one but did say the wall around the board will have minor alterations as the size of the new board will be different. He said he can't confirm for sure these RCBOs are the correct ones but he seems to think they look right but did echo the fact these units were never designed for RCBOs when they were built but it should work. He will charge £200 to replace and test the circuits plus material costs on top. Technically can all 6 RCBOS be 32A rated in our consumer unit rather than 20A as suggested in one of the posts earlier? 32 Amp 30mA RCBO - Crabtree Starbreaker (Type A) B Curve (compact) | Crabtree (61/BM3230) - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CB61slashBM3230.html

The proposal seems reasonable and will require some minor alterations: new busbar and link between neutral bars.

While the board was not originally designed for use with RCBOs, those which you have linked are pretty much the same size as currently installed MCBs and fit in exactly the same manner and, crucially, have been designed by the manufacturer with retro fitting in mind.

A new board is always an option, but it's unlikely that any replacement will offer decades of replacement parts as has been the case with Crabtree's starbreaker range.

Edit: all 6 breakers will not be rated at 32A. Your electrician will most likely replace each device the same rating currently fitted to the respective circuits.

Those are the correct RCBOs but the existing split load RCD cannot be altered, it plugs to the busbar track. Probably doesn't matter as the two 32As can be shifted to the left as I assume the blanked off points are spare ways. Alternatively leave the 32As where they are.

Last edited:
Many thanks. I will update once the work is done but I had two questions if I may. 1. The electrician sais I can source the parts, a new busbar has been suggested here, would anyone know which one and type is the correct one as Crabtree do many and the link between the neutral bars would the electricans normally carry the relevant parts for this? I have attached image from their brochure and 2. Even with the new busbar for the new RCBOs, would the current existing circuits fit on it? e.g. main switch, test button etc.?

Attachments

• busbar.png
    162.3 KB · Views: 11
Many thanks. I will update once the work is done but I had two questions if I may. 1. The electrician sais I can source the parts, a new busbar has been suggested here, would anyone know which one and type is the correct one as Crabtree do many and the link between the neutral bars would the electricans normally carry the relevant parts for this? I have attached image from their brochure and 2. Even with the new busbar for the new RCBOs, would the current existing circuits fit on it? e.g. main switch, test button etc.?
Howcomes you're asking us this and not him?

Howcomes you're asking us this and not him?

Apologises I didn't make it clearer in my last post, he advised that can't confirm for sure over the phone what parts are required until on site but he will charge for the initial visit and ascertain including testing. He said I can purchase the parts myself but if he visits the place and they dont work he will charge for his time. I trust the above info is correct so I rather buy them myself because just for visiting they can as you know charge a lot for call outs.

Apologises I didn't make it clearer in my last post, he advised that can't confirm for sure over the phone what parts are required until on site but he will charge for the initial visit and ascertain including testing. He said I can purchase the parts myself but if he visits the place and they dont work he will charge for his time. I trust the above info is correct so I rather buy them myself because just for visiting they can as you know charge a lot for call outs.

Very strange. Not many electricians would want you to research and buy the parts then hope they fit.

You really ought to let the 'electrician' supply and fit the parts.

Plus if you buy the parts then he may not offer any warranty.

Sounds like you're making this up and you're actually going to try to fit it all yourself.

If your new electrician wants to visit and cary out testing assuming a full EICR this will take most of the day, once they ascertain the correct bits needed they will then procure the parts fit them and carry out a new set of tests and should issue an updated test certificate, does not seem unreasonable to me to charge for both visits.

Last edited:
So if you've got a spark that's doing the job why are you asking us questions about your install and not him?

To be fair, the thread started out with the OP questioning recommendations on an EICR and has continued when subsequent electricians made recommendations at odds with advice received in this forum.

The last electrician's suggestion to OP is certainly unusual, but I don't think it's helpful to level unfounded allegations.

So if you've got a spark that's doing the job why are you asking us questions about your install and not him?

I had asked him but I do like to check what I have been advised and what they will be doing (same goes for builders) and whether the price they are quoting is reflective of correct working practices. If its wasn't for this forum I would have just replaced the whole unit just blindly trusting what some of them have advised me but ultimately I did get the 6 x RCBOs replaced by one electrican who was very helpful and job all done. There was a saving but not by much but I didn't want my walls altered. The material cost was expensive - 6 x RCBOs for £185 plus £200 labour. The guy offered £500 plus VAT for a BG consumer unit new installation but I didn't want the walls altered as it is flush wall mounted. I think its always a good idea to ascertain what is right even if someone else is carrying out the work as I have found out from my own experience, some of the electricians have not be honest but I am glad this resource was helpful in the end.

I had asked him but I do like to check what I have been advised and what they will be doing (same goes for builders) and whether the price they are quoting is reflective of correct working practices. If its wasn't for this forum I would have just replaced the whole unit just blindly trusting what some of them have advised me but ultimately I did get the 6 x RCBOs replaced by one electrican who was very helpful and job all done. There was a saving but not by much but I didn't want my walls altered. The material cost was expensive - 6 x RCBOs for £185 plus £200 labour. The guy offered £500 plus VAT for a BG consumer unit new installation but I didn't want the walls altered as it is flush wall mounted. I think its always a good idea to ascertain what is right even if someone else is carrying out the work as I have found out from my own experience, some of the electricians have not be honest but I am glad this resource was helpful in the end.

Glad you got it sorted. RCBOs were definitely the best way to go.

Reply to EICR Unsatisfactory - New Property in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net